Bobcats and coyotes...an awesome quick hunt! Pic Heavy!

Switch

It's been a while since I've posted, but I wanted to share a great hunt with a new hunter. This season I've been taking out my friend John to let him see what predator hunting is all about. He's been on a few night hunts, but on this hunt everything was perfect. A pretty good late moon, perfect weather and only hours after a storm event...critters were moving.

We headed out at around noon and once we left the wind behind, we pulled into a nice new spot that looked promising. We set up and started calling. Three minutes in John spots a coyote closing fast. He's using my 22-250 and had some trouble getting him in the scope. The coyote winded us and took off, but they just never seem to be faster then the .204. First stand, first coyote in the truck.

2381.jpg

We had another coyote backdoor us two stands later, before it got dark. We headed into town grabbed dinner and then headed out to shine the light. After four blank stands in a new area, I decided to pull up stakes and make a run to some consistent ground. Since I had an animal in the truck, John was on the rifle and I was on the light. We also had a few cat tags we were hoping to use.

Not three minutes into the first stand at the new spot and we had a customer. He was closing at a quick walk from about 400-yards out. The way he was moving I could tell it was a cat. After some coordination, John had him in the scope and got a clean shot out at about 100-yards. A large well spotted female was in the truck. I love the fur on these cats this time of year.

2382.jpg

2384.jpg

2383.jpg

After two blanks stands we had action consistently for the rest of the night. I was on the rifle when John spotted eyes floating out at 150-yards and circling. I barked him to a stop and dropped the second coyote of the trip there with the .204. The truck bed was getting crowded. A two-pointer!

2385.jpg

On the next stand we had a cat perched on a boulder out at 150-yards. He seemed interested, but hesitant. With John on the rifle, and wanting both of us to have a chance at the cat, we tried the old switcheroo...by the time I got on the rifle, the cat was gone. About three minutes later we had a hard charging coyote coming in fast. He surprised us both and I had to drop him on the run only 20-feet from the truck. Coyote number three was taking a ride.

2386.jpg

Two stands later we again had an interested cat creeping in from about 200-yards. This time we were able to switch out since I was on the light and John on the rifle. This cat made us work for it, but finally took a peak at the wrong time and I dropped him out at about 90-yards. A monster tom and the beast of the trip.

2387.jpg

With the rising moon minutes away, we decided to call it a night. Here's a cool late evening photo of the critters.

2388.jpg

We took a few more photos the next day at the skinning tree. Some monster paws on the tomcat I shot.

2390.jpg

Cryptic critters for sure.

2389.jpg

A cool photo of the two night time cats

2391.jpg

A few coyotes dropped with my trusty .204

2392.jpg

The work begins at the skinning tree

2393.jpg

Exactly 24-hours later, I was dropping John off at his place. An awesome quick trip with a new hunter.

HOMAnimated-S.gif

It was a great trip for sure! Thanks again Tim. Now I need to contribute by picking up some calls and learning the ropes. So far, you've been doing all the work. I think I've found my new passion!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tkmccmIt was a great trip for sure! Thanks again Tim. Now I need to contribute by picking up some calls and learning how the ropes. So far, you've been doing all the work. I think I've found my new passion!

It's a team deal John. Glad you came out for a night run. We still have a few tags to fill, so we'll get out there again soon.

Thanks guys. A great night for sure with a new hunter. We'll be out there again...we still have a few tags to fill.

Originally Posted By: desertcj What load are you shooting out of your 204? Looks like its working pretty well?

I've always pushed 39 Blitz King rounds out of the .204. They perform well for me and the ultra-light Ruger in .204 is my go-to predator rifle.

Back