Laying Prone in the Snow: What are you using?

Flesh Eater

I guess this could probably go in the gear section, but this section gets way more traffic.

Anyways, if there is anyone out there who lays in wait in the prone position, what are you guys using for snow and wet conditions as a mat? I've been kicking around some set ups that would hide me much better in prone, and give me a nice shot with minimal movement, but laying in the snow for an hour could get cold and wet. Was kicking around the idea of using some of my heavy duty canvas drop cloths for painting, but they're not water resistant.

Any suggestions for a good waterproof, but light weight, and quiet material for this? Preferably white and/or green color options. Another idea I had was a deflated white air mattress, but those can get heavy lugging around all day.

Thanks!

They make waterproof stadium blankets. They fold up with clips to keep them together, solf fleece on one side and a synthetic duck material on the other. I keep one in the truck to throw over the seats/bed when the wet dog come into the truck and to throw on the ground when putting chains on the truck.

here's a link to a bunch of them at Amazon, they even have a camo one.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=waterproof+stadium+blanket+outdoor&sprefix=waterproof+stadium%2Caps%2C540&crid=2AL8WODMG15SE

Last edited:
Paint suits do a pretty good job of keeping me dry. They are of course pretty fragile when it comes to briers or anything that might snag them. Tyvek Suits.

You can easily make what ever size you want. Joanne's Fabrics has waterproof nylon taffeta(thin light weight material) and polar fleece in assorted weights and colors. Just cut to size and hem the edges. If you want to get creative put white taffeta on one side and camo on the other and sandwich the polar fleece.

Shooter's Mat

I just found those. I didn't know what to call it to search for an actual item!

I like the Joanne Fabric idea...though I don't know if we even have any around anymore.

Last edited:
Here's a Kayak reversible cover I made for duck hunting

White for snow conditions on the river

Reversed for fall condition, this side has loops for clip on grass bundles.

Joanne's was just an example any decent fabric shop should have the stuff.

Last edited:
A member of the opposite sex works great.
Could be a little noisy though....
tt2.gif

Last edited:
just a single layer of nylon or poly. 1000 denier that is 'Urethane backed' , will keep you dry . Tough, lightweight and easy foldup and pack .

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorWhat???? Get yourself a set of winter bibs and a jacket and lay down. I would never consider carrying a mat to lay down on. Have enogh gear as it is much less when you make a kill you have fur to drag out.

They even make a matching coat....
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/498048...ASABEgL6EPD_BwE

I’ve got them, but getting wet sucks.

All I carry is a rifle, a hand call around my neck, and some calls in my pocket. Easy-peasy.

I feel that some stands don’t allow sitting without being detected to easily.

Field of view is pretty limited while prone. As is the ability to see over cover.
I never lay prone unless I see a coyote over 500 that won't come in and I want to get more stable for the shot. But, most times that is not possible due to vegetation or terrain.

In the last 15-20 years the row crop tillage has changed in my hunting area. I have several areas where prone is the only option. Snow and waterproof snow camo actually make it harder to blend in, the new high tech fabric have a "shine" that really stands out. I carry a black folding insulated stadium seat, hanging on my bipod. When possible I sit in thin cover, or I unfold the seat and lay on it chest to thigh, this will allow me at least 15 minutes and usually 30 minutes before I get cold. I have thought about seeing if there is a rechargeable heated version, but I definitely want to stay dry and not have damp outer clothing freeze as soon as I stand up. In many places I have no problem laying prone and can see 1/2 mile.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 6724Field of view is pretty limited while prone. As is the ability to see over cover.
I never lay prone unless I see a coyote over 500 that won't come in and I want to get more stable for the shot. But, most times that is not possible due to vegetation or terrain.

This won't be for every property I hunt, but I have a few properties where it's the only way to hunt, due to houses/building locations, or slight hills and wood line locations. Some locations limit me to basically figuring out a set up in the middle of a corn field, or hay field, and the property owners are hearing the coyotes early in the morning. Not much choice, but I think laying down in the snow on a hill crest will make for a good shooting position.

My location in PA can make it quite challenging calling, but I'm having fun trying to figure out ways around it. We have a lot of properties here where coyotes will take up residency very close to buildings, houses, correctional facilities, etc. The way our landscape is, we have a lot of small rolling hills, which can limit your view to 100 yards or less, and the woods are timbered, so shots/vision are limited to 5 yards or less in the woods. My prone positions will be set up in spots where I don't have to watch my back. Even if they did come in behind me, I wouldn't have a shot, so it's a bust anyways. Urban hunting is quite challenging, but I think it boasts the coyotes confidence more. Or not, and all this will be for naught...experience will determine that. Ha-ha!

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootIn the last 15-20 years the row crop tillage has changed in my hunting area. I have several areas where prone is the only option. Snow and waterproof snow camo actually make it harder to blend in, the new high tech fabric have a "shine" that really stands out. I carry a black folding insulated stadium seat, hanging on my bipod. When possible I sit in thin cover, or I unfold the seat and lay on it chest to thigh, this will allow me at least 15 minutes and usually 30 minutes before I get cold. I have thought about seeing if there is a rechargeable heated version, but I definitely want to stay dry and not have damp outer clothing freeze as soon as I stand up.

I know what you're talking about, concerning the changing of the land. I'm finding it harder and harder to find hay fields, since everyone is planting soy and corn now. My hopes are that since coyotes don't really see that well, that simply blending a lumpy body into a snow drifted corn field is enough to keep them from picking me out, because in prone movement is less detectable if your rifle is already rested in the general direction, and ready to rock. I know they pick out movement like nothing else, but sitting in some of these locations is EXTREMELY noticeable, and sometimes movement is more noticeable...at least it is when I run the scenario through my head.

I rate the eyes and ears of coyote over the nose. The nose is only useful in a narrow range down wind of you. Often I have to go in on bedded coyote from "upwind" just off to the side on a steady wind. In my area if they see you they are gone and they will see you if you are moving. So often I talk to guys who think if the coyote or fox doesn't smell them they will respond to calling. In my area it is all about not being seen,person or vehicle, and heard(walking in winter is incredibly noisy and the sound carry's). In the winter on snow in my area it can be impossible to walk inside of 200 yards and not run off coyote. The only time I get down wind of a coyote during the day(that's where they are looking when bedded) is when I can remain completely out of sight until a clear shot is possible, normally at least 200 yards.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI rate the eyes and ears of coyote over the nose. The nose is only useful in a narrow range down wind of you. Often I have to go in on bedded coyote from "upwind" just off to the side on a steady wind. In my area if they see you they are gone and they will see you if you are moving. So often I talk to guys who think if the coyote or fox doesn't smell them they will respond to calling. In my area it is all about not being seen,person or vehicle, and heard(walking in winter is incredibly noisy and the sound carry's). In the winter on snow in my area it can be impossible to walk inside of 200 yards and not run off coyote. The only time I get down wind of a coyote during the day(that's where they are looking when bedded) is when I can remain completely out of sight until a clear shot is possible, normally at least 200 yards.

That's the struggle with trying to remain hidden, and retain sight and shooting ability on them coming in. I'm going to try and keep something behind me when in prone, to break up my outline. Just a new attempt I'm kicking around.

Have you thought about just using a piece of tyvek you can roll up and throw in your pocket? It would not provide any insulation value but it will keep you dry. You can buy small sheets of tyvek from the link below instead of purchasing an entire roll. Just a thought...
Zpacks

Back