Is the 6.5 grendel a thing of the past ...

I've shot the American Gunner in my Grendel and it is more accurate than the factory 123 SST in my gun. My Grendel is set up for coyote hunting with a Pulsar thermal. But for my hunting now, I'm loading a 90 gr Speer TNT. It is the most accurate bullet I've tried so far, and puts big holes in coyotes. I'm very happy with my Grendel!

I see your from New Mexico so I assume some of your shots will be stretched out. From my experience I dont like the 123gn bullet offerings for the grendel on coyotes. They kill them but you will have some runners. They dont go far but some will run. But if you handload or want to buy high dollar factory ammo like night ops ammo in the 90gn range the grendel will be hard to beat out to 300yrds in the smaller frame ar15. But if you dont reload , want to buy high dollar ammo, or have a lot of quick shots past 300 then i would recommend the 243. Really depends on the use and area you hunt. Personally I mostly hunt at night where its difficult to range and make holdovers I prefer the 243.

I would have to remove optics to weigh mine to be exact. But if I remember right my ar10 is about 1.5lbs more. But it is a Christensen arms with carbon fiber barrel and handguard. The weight doesn’t bother me as much as the bulk.

Originally Posted By: yotebuster10What do you think the weight difference is between the 6.5 Ar15 vs Ar10 243..?

If all other things are equal, the 10's are going to weigh in 1-2 lbs heavier on average. You have a longer upper/lower, longer BCG and the barrel profiles tend to be heavier.

Between the .243 and the 6.5G it's six in one, half a dozen in the other. The .243 wins out in the velocity department, but for accuracy and coyote killing power they are similarly capable.

I like the ability to be able to switch out the 6.5G upper onto one of my AR-15 lowers, makes it very versatile.

As for ammo, again they are similar. The .243 has been around longer so there are a lot more factory options. But as the other guys pointed out, there are plenty of 6.5G offerings and the 6.5G is very forgiving for a hand loader. I run 123gr SST's in my 6.5's and I have never had a runner yet. I have heard of runners with the 123gr Amax, but that is a bullet designed for accuracy and not terminal balistics.

We are working on a 129gr Hornady SP hand load that should replicate the 150gr SP results that we have seen from the .308

So I can't really throw stones at either one. I think that they are both great coyote killing calibers.

I have decided to do a 6.5 grendel upper instead of going the 223 performance upgrade, just trying to decide on what barrel length to go with 24" or shorter. I want to keep my velocity up as much as possible. Found an upper with 24"{ tube and side charge receiver for around $550.00with bolt and carrier. I think it's a good price.

I'm guessing it won't be a hunting rifle if that's the length you chose. My 16" get's the job done I got it for. Doesn't mean I'll not get a longer one, but it would only be 2" if I did.
Intended use would be a deciding factor I'm sure.

It wipe be for hunting mostly and general fun. i save my fur and use my 17-223 for coyote and cats. the fur money helps fund my rifle affliction. My 223 is 20" and I'm more than happy with its Not a big fan of hot barrels to loud for me.

Back