17 Rem brass and dies

shelton573

X-caliber already finished my 17 rem barrel that I ordered on the 4th and it is sitting at the house. I didn’t expect it to show up that quick so I took my time ordering the other parts and now I’m behind.

As far as brass is concerned, what is everyone running? I have been looking at Norma and Remington, but I was wondering if the high plains stuff is any good?

Any die suggestions? I usually run RCBS and Redding standard dies. Is there any need to mess with bushing dies with this small of a caliber that is intended to only shoot prairie dogs and coyotes?

I’m new to the 17 cal game so Any info is much appreciated!

Hey Shelton

Next year will make 40 years since I got my first .17 Remington. A lot as changed since then and all for the better. Better powder selection, way WAY more bullets, barrel makers, cleaning gear, all so much better than in 1979.

I have used nothing but R-P brass for all these years as that was about all there ever was for it for so long. I did buy a special run of nickle stuff about 10 years ago but I had sizing issues with it so I tossed it after a few loads. I have not tried the High Plains brass but would like to if I needed any. Sure is a good price.

I have used RCBS dies but now I have Hornady and like them fine. I also have a Lyman neck die and Redding body die that I use on occasional when needed.

Even though I used to load the 20 grain Vmax to 4400 fps I dont load them that hot anymore as there just was no need for that for ground squirrels that I normally hunt. They sure will do a number on prairie dogs if you keep your shots less than 300 yards or so. I have killed them over 400 but bullet performance at that range was spotty.

I bit more of a bother to load for than bigger bores, a bit more difficult to clean, but a whole lot of fun and never a sore shoulder will you have. I bought me a .17 Hornet about a year and a half ago and I'm enjoying that as well but if you want speeds and want to see small critters take flight the .17 Rem is the one.

Word of warning: Be prepared to be an addict. I know of which I speak!

I also just had x caliber make me a 17 Remington barrel... still waiting on mine but I have been shooting a sako/H&R ultra wildcat in 17 Remington this year and I've only used the nosler factory ammo so far but my hornady dies and berger 25gr bullets showed up today so I plan on putting some test loads together this week. I have used Nosler brass on other calibers and it's always been great so I am hoping these will be the same. I have shot a few coyotes and kit foxes with it I really enjoy being able to see the bullet impact in the scope

I think the high plains brass will be short necked. I ran around looking for brass and ended up some that was made from 204R. Then of coarse, like always I found a good supply of factory brass.

I will be watching for results on the X caliber. What twist and groove do they offer?

I am waiting on a Shilen myself. I have had a lot of different barrels in various calibers, but never had a brand new Shilen, so I am giving them a try.

I run across any brass I will keep you in mind.
Jeff

The .17 Rem in my CZ 527 is one accurate little number. It drops coyotes where they stand with 25 gr. Hornady HP's at 3921 fps. I use Lee Collet dies and Remington brass. Those tiny groups are pleasing.

I am over 40 years with my 17 rem's. I have used RCBS the whole time. I run the nickel factory brass through my bolt gun(Lilja barrel 1/9 twist). I had the reamer(Manson) cut for the brass and the sizing die and dummy round. So no turn, short freebore set up for 29-30 gr bullets. The Shilen(1/10) barrel AR15 I run the Highplains brass with 25 gr Hornady hp, although I loaded up some WCD 25's and will shot a few this winter just for curiosity. I run th reformed brass in the AR because I know I will lose some in the snow. Both are extremely accurate sub 1" at 300 yards when I'm in good form. The current Berger bullets are not good winter coyote bullets for me, excellent for Red fox,cats and raccoon.

If your new barrel isn't already chambered, I'd seriously consider doing a 17-223 instead of a 17 Rem. Brass quality would be substantially better and dies would be easy peasy. The only draw back, no factory ammo.

Originally Posted By: RustydustHey Shelton

Next year will make 40 years since I got my first .17 Remington. A lot as changed since then and all for the better. Better powder selection, way WAY more bullets, barrel makers, cleaning gear, all so much better than in 1979.

I have used nothing but R-P brass for all these years as that was about all there ever was for it for so long. I did buy a special run of nickle stuff about 10 years ago but I had sizing issues with it so I tossed it after a few loads. I have not tried the High Plains brass but would like to if I needed any. Sure is a good price.

I have used RCBS dies but now I have Hornady and like them fine. I also have a Lyman neck die and Redding body die that I use on occasional when needed.

Even though I used to load the 20 grain Vmax to 4400 fps I dont load them that hot anymore as there just was no need for that for ground squirrels that I normally hunt. They sure will do a number on prairie dogs if you keep your shots less than 300 yards or so. I have killed them over 400 but bullet performance at that range was spotty.

I bit more of a bother to load for than bigger bores, a bit more difficult to clean, but a whole lot of fun and never a sore shoulder will you have. I bought me a .17 Hornet about a year and a half ago and I'm enjoying that as well but if you want speeds and want to see small critters take flight the .17 Rem is the one.

Word of warning: Be prepared to be an addict. I know of which I speak!

Thanks for the info Rusty! Do you use the Hornady does with the alignment sleeve? Seems like it would help line that small bullet up raiser without pinching your fingers.

Originally Posted By: jshI think the high plains brass will be short necked. I ran around looking for brass and ended up some that was made from 204R. Then of coarse, like always I found a good supply of factory brass.

I will be watching for results on the X caliber. What twist and groove do they offer?

I am waiting on a Shilen myself. I have had a lot of different barrels in various calibers, but never had a brand new Shilen, so I am giving them a try.

I run across any brass I will keep you in mind.
Jeff

It is a 1-9 twist with 3 grove rifling. I looked at shilen because we have had great luck with them but then Xcaliber ran a 45% off sale and I went that route.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
The .17 Rem in my CZ 527 is one accurate little number. It drops coyotes where they stand with 25 gr. Hornady HP's at 3921 fps. I use Lee Collet dies and Remington brass. Those tiny groups are pleasing.

Have you compared them to a 25 gr Berger? I will likely try both but just curious how they do. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootI am over 40 years with my 17 rem's. I have used RCBS the whole time. I run the nickel factory brass through my bolt gun(Lilja barrel 1/9 twist). I had the reamer(Manson) cut for the brass and the sizing die and dummy round. So no turn, short freebore set up for 29-30 gr bullets. The Shilen(1/10) barrel AR15 I run the Highplains brass with 25 gr Hornady hp, although I loaded up some WCD 25's and will shot a few this winter just for curiosity. I run th reformed brass in the AR because I know I will lose some in the snow. Both are extremely accurate sub 1" at 300 yards when I'm in good form. The current Berger bullets are not good winter coyote bullets for me, excellent for Red fox,cats and raccoon.

Thanks for the info! Do the bergers seems splash on heavy fur coyotes? Judging by your accuracy results, the high plains is decent brass I assume?”

Originally Posted By: B23If your new barrel isn't already chambered, I'd seriously consider doing a 17-223 instead of a 17 Rem. Brass quality would be substantially better and dies would be easy peasy. The only draw back, no factory ammo.

Thanks for the info but it is already chambered. I looked into a couple different variations, but when they put the 45% sale up it was go time hah

The Berger varmint or mef only give me 1-3" of penetration, perfect for fox and pretty good for raccoon. The Hornady hp is much better penetrating bullet, shot hundreds of fox with them, mostly head shooting sleepers between 100-200 yards. About 1/2 the time I would split the head eyes to ears, not bad to sew but takes a few min. Tried the Berger, didn't need to sew many after that. Fur buyer loved them even in the round. When I had to switch from fox to coyote I found my factory barrel to be lacking both velocity and accuracy with the 30's(it probably was worn out at 1500+ rounds). I could only get 3550 ish, that was to slow for the 30 gr, poor expansion. You want to start over 3900 if possible, I run a 26" barrel and 3950 is no problem with the 30's.

Originally Posted By: shelton573Originally Posted By: 6mm06

Have you compared them to a 25 gr Berger? I will likely try both but just curious how they do. Thanks!

I did try some Bergers and got very good accuracy but haven't used them for hunting. The 25 Hornadys were so good at dropping coyotes that I didn't bother trying the Bergers.

The older Berger 25gr. Match bullets work great on fur, but the Berger 25gr. Varmint not so much. I use Chan Nagels bullets and they are great in both 25gr. and 30gr. The Black Hole bullets and some of the Reed bullets are very good as well.
Dies for me are the Bonanza Benchrest die set, now relabled Forester Benchrest. That spring loaded sleeve they use is great, no pinched fingers.
Like Rusty, I use R P brass, but the Norma or Nosler would be a good choice in my mind.
Oh ya, and I'm one of those 40 plus 17 user also, but I'm a young 60 plus, unlike those other guys.
tt2.gif

I use the RCBS Gold Medal Match Series dies for the 17 Remington, the window in the seater die makes it real easy to handle those small projectiles. You just drop it in the window and seat it, no holding it anywhere

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: K22The older Berger 25gr. Match bullets work great on fur, but the Berger 25gr. Varmint not so much. I use Chan Nagels bullets and they are great in both 25gr. and 30gr. The Black Hole bullets and some of the Reed bullets are very good as well.
Dies for me are the Bonanza Benchrest die set, now relabled Forester Benchrest. That spring loaded sleeve they use is great, no pinched fingers.
Like Rusty, I use R P brass, but the Norma or Nosler would be a good choice in my mind.
Oh ya, and I'm one of those 40 plus 17 user also, but I'm a young 60 plus, unlike those other guys.
tt2.gif

Thanks for the info! Have you used any of the new RP brass or is it older stock?

Originally Posted By: Redleg84I use the RCBS Gold Medal Match Series dies for the 17 Remington, the window in the seater die makes it real easy to handle those small projectiles. You just drop it in the window and seat it, no holding it anywhere

Thanks for the info! I keep coming back to those because I prevent getting mad pinching my fingers hah. How is their sizing die?

Have you looked at the Vickerman seater die? Been loading both the 17HH and 17 Rem and setting those bullets was a pain even with the Hornaday seater. Purchased a Vickerman Micrometer Die and shell holders for the HH & 17Rem. The Vickerman have the side cut to just drop the bullet down as you raise the case. Wish I would have know about them when I started with the 17 cal.

Just jumped on their site to look at them. I have never heard of them before and that is a very interesting die. I’ll call them on Monday with some questions. Thanks for the heads up John!

Back