Thermal Scope and scanner

TXCOONDOG

My typical (75%) hunting spots are 200 yds line of sight.

I have 5k saved and wondered if I could get both a decent thermal scanner and scope for that ?

Or am I better off with a NV scope and a thermal scanner (is there a helmet mounting option) ?

Use is hunting rabbits, predators, hogs, etc at night.

FYI- Currently using a PVS-14 and IR Laser.

The Pulsar Trail XQ38 thermal scope and the Helion XQ28F thermal scanner would put you just a little over the $5k mark. You could also opt for the Pulsar Apex line on the thermal scope and still get the helion scanner...this would get you into the game for

They have the same FOV, resolution, micron count, and zoom. However, the Trail includes an integrated, rechargeable battery pack, ability to record video/audio, integration to the StreamVision app allowing for screen sharing as well as changing settings on the scope via phone or tablet. The Trail also allows for the user to do software updates.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGOrdered the Helion XQ28F thermal scanner.

Guy contacted me and said unit was damaged and would be 4-6 weeks before any more would be in stock. He offered a refurb Helion XQ38F with a one year warranty for 2199.00(same price)

Better unit for same money but refurb with only a year warranty which makes me a little uneasy.

Kirsch,

Thanks for the info as I will spend extra $ for better features.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGOriginally Posted By: TXCOONDOGOrdered the Helion XQ28F thermal scanner.

Guy contacted me and said unit was damaged and would be 4-6 weeks before any more would be in stock. He offered a refurb Helion XQ38F with a one year warranty for 2199.00(same price)

Better unit for same money but refurb with only a year warranty which makes me a little uneasy.

Kirsch,

Thanks for the info as I will spend extra $ for better features.

Not sure what I would do in your shoes. Have you tried Tom at Night Goggles?

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI would want the full 3 year warranty. Warranty is everything with a thermal as well as getting it from a reputable dealer. Refurbs typically carry the same warranty, so not sure what is going on there. Don't sacrifice what you need just because something else becomes available. A higher priced option doesn't mean better for your purposes. I would look for new or something significantly reduced in price if dropping 2 years on warranty.

Try to find a used L3 MTM, you should be able to get one for $2500-$3000. That will get you a quality rugged thermal. Then save a little more and get yourself a PTS233. It’s actually a very decent unit for the money.

That would be your best bet to get both for $5K and not end up with junk.

Or if you want a unit that does both look into the M300W. If you call around you can get one for not a whole lot more than what you’ve already got saved.

I have a five year plan (Buy once cry once)

First was to get a PVS-14, IR Laser and accesseries
Second was to buy a thermal scanner
Third was to buy a thermal rifle scope
Four was to build a dedicated night hunting rifle
Fifth was to buy a new hunting truck

Being the second and going on year 3......In short, on schedule and on budget thus far

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI would want the full 3 year warranty.

I remember when you started with DNV and worked up but don’t know what you are using now days.......Any lessons learned ?

Yep..... staying with 3 year warranty

For anyone, Can the thermal scopes hold up to 308 recoil ?

Last edited:
I was able to get the Pulsar Trail XQ38 and the Helion XQ28F new for a little under 5k.

Thanks the help.

What are you guys using as a target heat source to sight in your thermal scope ?

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGI was able to get the Pulsar Trail XQ38 and the Helion XQ28F new for a little under 5k.

Thanks the help.

What are you guys using as a target heat source to sight in your thermal scope ?

Snuff can. Crushed ice in warm temps, paper towel soaked in hot water then put in snuff can in cooler temps. Nice perfectly round target. If you don't dip Copenhagen, you should.

Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGI was able to get the Pulsar Trail XQ38 and the Helion XQ28F new for a little under 5k.

Thanks the help.

I fold aluminum foil into a 2" x 2" square. Sit it on the engine of my truck for a couple minutes, works great, cheap, easy.

Tin foil strips. Tilt it back about 10 degrees and it reflects off atmosphere and makes a great target. I make an x but leave a 1 inch square gap in the middle.

I use the single "Hot Hands" hand warmers..Cut about a 1" to 1 1/2" square out of the cardboard and tape the handwarmer packet on the back side over the square opening. Works great in all conditions.

Does the tin foil stay warm a while or does it cool off quickly?

I have been using lids from bean cans / vegitable cans, attached to a cardboard backing via a nail at the top, and heat them with a butane lighter. That gives a nice, bright, round glow but it cools off quickly. I always walk to the target after a shot or two to check impact so I give the lid another quick burst which keeps it going.

Tin foil does not work for me, my shooting lane is in the woods so sunlight does not hit it to warm it up. I use a screw heated with a propane torch but like 6mm said it cools off pretty quickly. But... while it is hot it works very well. Just have everything ready to go (scope on, reticle unlocked, etc.) before you heat it up.

Lead diving weight preheated. A hit reheats it somewhat. A hand help propane torch does even better but one does have to watch out to not set your target backer on fire!

Three44s

TXCD, sorry I didn't see your earlier question. I am shooting a Pulsar Apex XQ50. The scope is clear and the increased native mag of 2.8 is great, but I'm still trying to adjust to figuring distances with it.

Sounds like you got a great setup for your price and congratulations on that.

I use HVAC tape for a target. Probably is about 1.5 by 1.5 inches, but I don't heat it. In fact, I go the opposite route since it cools more than the cardboard backing. I just go to black hot which makes the HVAC become white. Generally works well out to 100 yds., but might need a larger piece for longer distances. I have used hand warmers, and ice in a small plastic bag, but the HVAC seems to be simple enough for me.

Back