Interesting test, surprising results.

I learned this lesson about 15 years ago when I was in a trench carrying moving targets on a stick, 300 yards from the line where guys were shooting 308s. I didn't bring earpro, which was a mistake as it was still pretty loud with those rounds 3' over my head.
The video is also a bit misleading though (not intentionally). My closest neighor is about 400 yards away and if you asked him I bet he would tell you that it is much quieter when I shoot suppressed because he is not in the bullets path. For him, and me, all the BOOOOOOM is gone.
I'd like to see the same test with him 90 degrees to the right (or behind) of the shooter, 25, 100, and 400 yards away.

Did they think the suppressor was going to mitigate sonic crack somehow? I don't know why anyone would be surprised.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAA

Did they think the suppressor was going to mitigate sonic crack somehow? I don't know why anyone would be surprised.

- DAA

Some people think that suppressors are magical. Anyone who has spent anytime down in the butts knows how loud a bullet is downrange.

It was nice to see numbers in support of what we already might have known, so I appreciated their effort.

So let me get this straight.
This Idiot is standing there "behind cover" letting someone shoot bullets right past him?
Seems pretty idiotic to me.

Anyone who has "pulled targets" while in the butts has heard that crack. At Camp Pendleton, CA, 500 meters away from the shooter you could hear that crack when the bullet zipped by over our heads.

Originally Posted By: farmerbobSo let me get this straight.
This Idiot is standing there "behind cover" letting someone shoot bullets right past him?
Seems pretty idiotic to me.
farmerbob said:
]

I guess I’m idiotic. Your under a reinforced concrete berm. While bullets fly overhead at a target. But then again there were times I had people shoot at me in wide open streets.

#firstpostof2019

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DAA

- DAA

This is the first time I have seen someone measure the sonic crack. According to their meter the sonic crack is + -130 decibels. Basically no gun shooting supersonic ammo will ever be quieter than 130 decibels. Sure makes me wonder about some companies claims when it comes to their products.

I grew up on a farm near an Air Force training complex where they would dog fight. Lots of sonic booms. Sometimes you could hear the jet and then a sonic boom and you couldn't hear the jet anymore. Sometimes you would hear a sonic boom and then you would hear the jet even though you didn't hear it before the sonic boom. Any idea what was going on here? Was it just the distance I was from the training complex?

Originally Posted By: bark
I grew up on a farm near an Air Force training complex where they would dog fight. Lots of sonic booms. Sometimes you could hear the jet and then a sonic boom and you couldn't hear the jet anymore. Sometimes you would hear a sonic boom and then you would hear the jet even though you didn't hear it before the sonic boom. Any idea what was going on here?..
Lots of variables in dog-fights.
Lots of turning, some after burners, some partial idle, and nose-aspect is much quitter than tail-aspect.
The distance to you on the ground from any noise source is changing rapidly the closer you are to the furball center.
So the given noise level is the sonic boom, while the engine noise levels are all over the map.

Back