22-250 Hornady ELD load data?

MCary

I want to try loading some 75 g. ELD. I don’t have a Hornady manual. Can anyone help with starting and max loads, Varget.

You will need a slower powder like h4350,and you need to have at least a 9 twist barrel

Last edited:
My most current Hornady manual lists 37.9 of H414 for 3300 FPS.

If you can find Superformance, 41gr shows 3350fps. Both are a noticeable jump from your current velocity............ if that’s a pot of gold you’d like to chase.

I will be working up a ladder test and doing some grouping with some 73 eld-m loads out of my 22-250 using superformance this week. I'll let you guys know how it goes. The gun is a savage Model 11 with a 22" 9 twist barrel.

29.3 grs @ 2900 start -- 33.4grs max @3200
W/varget.. In the 10th edition Hornady manual.

My daughter's custom 28" 8"twist 22-250 is running 3260 w/80gr SMK's w/36.5grs imr4350 (overmax but I'm running it longer than saami length on overall case lenth.its all it'll take but shoots really well and flat to 1K.. very little recoil.

Last edited:
guess I won't be working up any loads. the twist rate on my 22-250 is no where near fast enough. Time for a new barrel I guess

Originally Posted By: LittleAndyguess I won't be working up any loads. the twist rate on my 22-250 is no where near fast enough. Time for a new barrel I guess

So does that mean you actually have a 12 twist not a 9 twist. I’m a little out of the loop on savages 22-250’s. I knew like 10 years ago the model 12 had one or two models available with a 9 twist but had never heard of a model 11 9 twist 22-250.

Mine is actually a 14 twist....I grabbed a cleaning rod and a brush and measured it out to about 14".

There are 3 different variations of the model 12 that are still offered in a 22-250 9 twist.

yea i was very wrong about the barrel twist... i'm hoping it will soon be an 8 twist barrel, but I haven't fully decided if I will rebarrel it or not.

About every gun I own seems to have to slow twist for my liking including my Tikka 22-250. I am just going to bite the bullet and re barrel 4 of my rifles in time and be done with it.

Back