Calling hogs in woods??

boogercounty

Can you call hogs in the woods?? Where I live in southern Missouri, we are getting hogs moving into National Forest lands. Although MDC doesn't want hunters to kill them,(after advocating "Shoot on sight" for several years!!) I'm not going to pass on the opportunity to kill one if I get the chance.
MDC's official policy prohibits killing hogs on land owned or managed by MDC, and strongly discourages killing hogs on other land.
Their argument is that killing hogs only serves to disperse the remainder of the sounder, and makes trapping more difficult/less effective.
I do quite a bit of predator calling and was wondering about calling hogs in the wood. I don't have an Ecaller(mine was stolen)but could get one if I thought it would work.
Any opinions/hands-on experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Go to YOU TUBE, and watch Glenn Guess Call Hogs, or you might try contacting him for some pointers. I am of the belief that you can Call Hogs anywhere that Hogs live, if you use the correct Sounds.

Glenn is a wealth of knowledge on the subject. I would use his calls if I didn't have Foxpro already.
As for shoot on sight versus leave them be and trap. Look at TX! We shoot, trap, helo gun them, and all manner of things and we can't even slow them down. If not prohibited by law I would shoot them. When deer hunting I carry a 300 wsm with 180 gr Nosler partitions so I can drill 2 at a time if the chance comes.
My thought is I can make the neighbor's place look more to their liking, FIRE'EM UP!!!

No rules in Oklahoma. Fair game anytime. Well except maybe at night, but if your on private land and let the Wardens know your gonna be there, like you said...Fire em up!!

Glenn Guess is the ultimate source for calling hogs. He has some of the best sounds for hog calling you will find and he's very helpful if you reach out to him. Seems to be a very nice guy willing to help other hunters. I enjoy watching his youtube videos.

Several states have the no-shoot no-hunt law in effect so the authorities can utilize various means to eradicate the hog population. Some states are claiming success doing this. The thing is the difference is in the terrain between the Ozark's and the relatively flat open cover in those states. The heavily timbered steep ridges and deep brushy hollers and large expanses of uninhabited public land in the Ozark's aren't going to get trapped out by the authorities. That's simply not possible. Couple that with the logged off areas the Forest Service keeps creating in the MTNF and that makes perfect habitat along with the numerous stream corridors for travel routes.

The Ozark's have hogs and the population is quickly increasing and spreading out. The online map the MDC has showing existing hog populations isn't accurate by at least 1/3 in the southeast region. MDC doesnt even have up to date information on where the hog population is. You sure aren't going to trap or kill them if you dont know where they are. I hunt in areas that have had hogs for 30+ years. These hogs have been hunted with dogs, shot on sight by hunters, trapped by private parties and by government trappers and shot from helicopter by the authorities. There are at least as many there today as ever and probably more. I also hunt areas that never had hogs before but now are over ran with the [beeep] things. My son had a run in with a sounder of sows, piglets and a monster boar during deer season this year. The result was a lot of confusion with little pigs running around, sows huffing and a big boar that squared off with my son popping his tusk at close range. MDC can say what they want but I promise you most guys are going to protect themselves in that situation. This happened in a place that didnt have hogs three years ago. Place is torn up with hogs now. Personally I think MDC gets things right most of the time. But not this time with this no-hunt no-shoot hog policy.

Back