deer season coyotes

Yotarunner

Custom Call Maker
so the last month has been a bit slow on the coyote hunting front with deer season putting a whole lot more activity in the bush making hunting a bit tricky. numerous stands have been disrupted by trucks and other hunters but oh well such is life.
Here is a few of the hunts that went well.
a few weeks ago 204dan and i went out to some new ground of his in the south country (where the big white dogs live) on our second stand we called in this big old dog.
it was my turn to call and so i let out some jack squalls on my new carver rubber rabbit and within 5 min my deer watching was interrupted by the sight of a coyote at 300 yards. he watched and watched and watched but would not budge. i lipsqueaked to no avail and even the rubber rabbit would not unstick him so in a last ditch effort i let out a mournfull wail on my carver swift call and within moment he was standing at 100 yards where the 222 put him down.

a little while went by where i spent some time deer hunting and i did eventually end up getting my mule buck.
we wont go into details as this is a coyote forum after all. but i will say that big game is obviously not my thing as my shooting on large animals is terrible! 6 shots on a static target and only 1 hit em.

with deer season now out of the way i could get back to calling! success was sub par until one day driving to the next stand i saw a coyote mousing in the neighbors field. going through the lay of the land in my head i knew a setup could be made on him with this wind.
after a quick u turn and a short hike the sounds of the rubber rabbit were sounding across the field
not long after my first call i saw birds harassing something at the field edge and upon further inspection a faint glimpse of a dog moving my way. with little looks here and there it was evident that it was not a large dog and i was marveling at how well it was camouflaged. then 200 yards it came into view again and lo and behold it was a fox!!! in many areas calling fox is a normal thing but in my area it is a real treat and in fact the only fox i have ever called in.
the little guy made his way to about 100 yards when he saw me swing my rifle into position. he took off like a shot (holy crap those buggers are fast) but some quick rabbit wails with my voice slowed him down enough for a 150 yard shot.

fast forward to today. At about 3:30pm with my chores finished i realized that i was the only one left at work. with the boss not around to tell me to stay took a quick wind reading was made and i headed out to a calling spot i have been waiting years to hunt.
this evening turned out to be a north east wind which in my area is almost unheard of so when the 2mph breeze was NE i knew exactly where to go.
this spot is the ultimate vantage point with brush country opening out into wide open rolling hills.
to the right and left are long patches of bush with 100-300 yards of room to see and shoot on either side. (i am facing east)
the mournfull sounds of the rubber rabbit tore through the calm evening as i settled my rifle to where the coyotes should pop out around the hill trying to get downwind. 5 minutes passed when 8 mule deer tore out of the bush to the south and as the thought was going through my brain as to why they left, i felt the wind at my left ear.
CRAP! the wind has switched and now the one side of my set was filled with the smells of my stinky work sweat.
with nothing left to do but stick it out i let rip with the carver swift call and as my head turned from looking across the flat it became apparent that the grass 100 yards behind and to my left had sprouted ears!.
after at least 2 eternity's the coyote finaly stood up tall enough for a chest shot and the gun slowly came around. at the shot the coyote turned and looked behind its left shoulder at the loud Vmax that had just jetted past his chest. $#&%$#^ CRAP! that terrible behind the shoulder position had made me pull the shot! not being overly aware of what just happened with the echos of the shot bouncing off the hills the coyote turned and headed back the way he came.
as soon as he was out of sight i ran the 100 yards and barked him to a stop just as he was about to enter the trees. this time the vmax found its mark and he was down at 160 yards. this makes 14 total for the year

as a little bonus i had to include this picture. top is a dog that i caught at one of my snare sites next to the large one from today. the top coyote is HUGE and im guessing it somewhere in the 40+ lb mark which i hope to confirm with a scale soon.

HOMAnimated-S.gif

Great pics, and a nice write up.Congratulations on a nice buck. Those are some good looking dogs and a beauty of a little red fox !

Nice buck, nice coyotes and as a bonus, a nice fox!
That big coyote is a brute!!!
We had a NE breeze this morning also, seen 5 coyotes but never fired a shot.

Originally Posted By: SnowshoesNice buck, nice coyotes and as a bonus, a nice fox!
That big coyote is a brute!!!
We had a NE breeze this morning also, seen 5 coyotes but never fired a shot.
thanks! i was hoping this NE wind was going to be good but you had a better day than me. i didnt even see anything. hopefully this snow livens things up a bit.

How much did he weigh? I shot a big one yesterday that I thought would make 40, after scaling him he was only 35. I keep hoping to get a 40# coyote but out of hundreds weighed i haven't gotten one yet.

Originally Posted By: W. Chad ShultzHow much did he weigh? I shot a big one yesterday that I thought would make 40, after scaling him he was only 35. I keep hoping to get a 40# coyote but out of hundreds weighed i haven't gotten one yet.
I just got the scale today and hope to weigh em tonight. I scaled one 2 years ago that went 52lb!

Back