Howling with Diaphram

eja

I've used diaphragm calls for elk and turkeys for a long time. I want to try howling but was wondering what calls are the best? [beeep], FoxPro?

I think you'll find out it's a personal preference thing just like any other mouth call, Chevy, Ford or whatever. I've got several different brands and it seems that I find models I like from all of them.

Last edited:
I have done best with the Randy Anderson, DOUBLE HOWLER. Easiest for me to make good howling sounds, & not worry about the sound "skipping" in pitch.

I have used the FoxPro diaphragm. It takes a bit of practice, and some good lung volume, but it sounds great. Just about everytime that I have used it, the guys I am with panic thinking that a coyote has come in beside them, LOL.

I have asked the coyotes what they think, but they seem tight lipped about the subject...

Get in touch with Lonehowl. He makes a nice diaphragm howler. I just got a couple from him. You can find him on the custom call makers forum.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Can't find anything local. Will have to order a couple different ones. I've always been a fan of quakerboy. Using a double right now. definitely need a lot of practice.

[beeep] makes some awesome diaphragms and not just their howlers. Torry cook is awesome to talk to and work with. He made a
Me a couple of prototypes and worked with me to try to find something deeper than their four reed howler. The customer service I've always received from them has been nothing less than top notch.

Also had bearmanric make a couple of amps to help fine tune things a little more. If you go the diaphragm route an amp helps a ton imho. Even a small one really helps throw sound on windy days or to get more distance. It also helps when you want to sound like several different coyotes. Or even just using your diaphragm like a siren to locate. Yeah it works and in certain areas better than howling.

Back