D-Tech 243 wssm 1-8twist upper

Bigdwebster

I bought this upper and had it fluted and new hanguard put on it. When I got it back I noticed it was a 1-8. I had planned on shooting a 70gn bullet. Does anyone have experience with a lighter bullet that shoots good through a fast twist?

I have a Savage bolt gun in .243 with 1 in 9 twist that shoots lights out with 55gr bullets. I doubt twist is going to be a problem for you.

Didn't you request a specific twist rate when you ordered it? I just bought a complete AR-stoner upper for $449.00 chambered in 243 from midway USA with a 1 in 9 twist. Wanted the slower twist to shoot 55gr bullets. Doesn't sound like you thought out your purchase before you ordered it.

Last edited:
I purchase this upper lightly used with a free float tube on it. I was told it was a 1-10 twist when I bought it. After having Mike at dtech flute it and put a new handguard on that i could see through i seen the twist rate. I have played with 70gn blitz kings and 70gn Tnt’s a little with mediocre results. Im sure I can eventually find a bullet that will work but neither that i have tried will easily. Just thought i would see if anyone else had one to to save some time.

Mine is 1-8 also, never tried anything lighter than 87 gr vmax and 80 gr barnes, both of which are stupid accurate. Try Varget if you haven't already, I found the love at 41 gr with the vmax. That's a warm load, be careful.

I figured the 87 would be good. But that defeats my purpose for the gun. I want a flat shooting rifle for nightvision. I ordered a 1-12. But im trying to decide wether to rebarrel this upper or order a complete upper.

Twist rate has always been crazy. I own 4-243 winchesters, 1-10 twist rate.
I handload a 90 grain Lapua Scenar OTM BC/.434 I coat these my self.
Same load in all 4 of my rifles. I do not shoot plastic tip bullets.
At one time I liked the blue bullets made by Barnes. Those would shoot.
They also do well in my 7mm's. I still have 4 boxes of 140 grain.
If you have never shot the blue bullet you have really missed it.

Yep, that's the reason I procrastinated on buying a 243 upper for years. Everyone had faster twist rates than I wanted so It wouldn't be optimum for lighter 55 gr bullets. The only ones that offered a 1/10 twist was Remington, DPMS, and APF...all in 20" barrels but I wanted a 24" barrel and all the other offerings over 20" I found were 1/8 and 1/7 twist designed to shoot 100 gr plus projectiles at a 1000 yards. I wanted to build a coyote lazer to shoot light bullets...55 to 70 gr NBT. I ran into my AR stoner upper from the help of a poster here on sale at midway for $449 shipped that has a 22" stainless heavy barrel with a 1/9 twist. My Remington 700 shoots 55 gr NBT great with a 1 in 9 1/8 twist so I knew I'd be good. I could live with a 22" barrel vs 24" being the complete upper was only $449. I ordered a complete Areo prescion lower minus the stock last Friday for $212.00 I have an A2 stock comming free of charge from a buddy who had one laying around so so for $661 I'm good to go minus a magazine. It Malay not be as light as your ar15 setup but I wanted a heavier rig to keep it steady for prescise shots and I'm a big guy and not a wimp so it doesnt bother me to carry a rifle that weighs an extra pound or two. I was going to go the 243 WSSM route for years but could never find brass and now that's is available with its limited run again(better stock up) they want almost $2 a case for brass that cracks around the necks after only a couple of fireings. Not worth all the drama for an extra 100 fps IMO. Load some lighter bullets and shoot your upper. It's the only true way your going to find out instead of asking questions. My 1/9 twist 223 Remington LTR wasn't sospose to shoot 40 gr bullets per posters opinions here...it shoots cloverleaves at 100 yards and .3" groups at 200 yards with a 40gr NBT and 27.7gr of benchmark with a MV of 3650 fps.

Shoot it and if it doesn't do what you want it to do sell it and buy a slower twist. Life's to short and we all make mistakes. It's like buying a Porsche and after you get home you pop the hood and find a 4 cyl engine in it and expected an 8. Sure it works but it's not optimum or efficient. I'm sure someone here would grab it up pretty quick or trade you for what you want. Detech is an awesome upper but if it's the wrong twist than what you intend to use it for it defeats to purpose and is worthless to me in my book. If the faster twist won't stabilize anything other than a heavier bullet at 3300 fps you might as well have bought a different caliber. I almost bought an upper brand new Years ago myself but for the cost I could get a whole rifle and money left to boot. Mine might not shoot as tight with a wide variety ammo but I'll find my one load that will without a doubt.

Before you get all fired up load up some 70gr NBT and try them. The faster twist will probably make for an even more explosive bullet...if that is even possible. My 1/8 vs my 1/9 twist 223's I can definitely see a difference in pelt destruction. Using 60 gr vmax at close to the same velocities the slower twist you normally can't see a hole in and out vs the faster 1/8 twist puts fifty cent size holes on the way out and sometimes in the way in as well.

...and I can tell you 70gr NBT are hit and miss as far as blowing coyotes in half. If you don't hit a bone in or out bullet size holes...which is rare but happens every couple of coyotes. The others I could put both my hands in the entry and exit holes and clap. That's with a 1 in 9 1/8 twist. Either way it's the hammer of Thor!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I have actually tried 70nbt also. But I haven’t spent as much time playing with them. Just a quick load workup. No ladder tests etc like i have the other bullets. I know every rifle is different no matter the twist. But my goal in my post was to see if anyone else had the dtech with shilen barrel in 1-8 that had luck with a certain lighter bullet. I have had multiple ar10 243’s and currently still have a christinsen arms ca10 in 243. It has a 24” 1-8 also and it shoots factory hornady 75gn vmaxs sub moa. I like the rifle. It is light. So weight isnt the problem. The bulk is the problem i have with an ar10. Where i hunt if im in a calling competition most nights i uncase load and unload and recase over 20 times a night with bulky nightvision scopes mounted. It gets old dealing with the bulky ar10. Thats why i went the wssm route. I have plenty of brass stocked up and haven’t had any trouble reloading it after you figure it out and anneal your brass. This rifle will have a swarovski z6i 5x30x50 with a pvs 30 in front if it for a long range gun. I want it to super flat and accurate. It looks like im going to have to rebarrel this upper with my 1-12 barrel that I ordered or buy another complete upper and work up an 87gn load for this one and let it replace my grendel that i run a fixed 6x scope on for 0-300yrd shots.

Look at ballistics charts. The difference in drop is negligible to 300 yds between a 58gr and 87gr. If you are looking to use it with nv, I'm guessing that is a longer shot. Been down this road...

I have ballistic apps. 0-300 isnt a problem with any caliber. Im setting this rifle up for 300-500 yard shots. And the difference between the 58gn and 87gn at 400yrds is 11inches. That’s almost twice the thickness of a coyote.

I used load suggested by Mike in mine and it shoots lights out.
87 gr. Hornady BTHP & 38.5 gr. Varget = 3100 fps. Usual disclaimer, start low, work up. Have never tried lighter bullets.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: BigdwebsterWhat twist is yours?

1:10....and it's for sale. Unfortunately, I can no longer use it on the ranches I hunt.

Have never tried lighter bullets but here's how it shoots the 87's:

35573035422_acf1b4333c_n.jpg

I'd bet it would handle 70 grain just fine.

Regards,
hm

Yeah my upper by itself weighs approx 8 1/4lbs so she's no walking rifle unless you like exercise and it's all in the barrel. I like like it though...a big heaven stainless fluted 22" log. It will help me with accuracy IMO.

I agree on the 0-300 range. I was checking my 223, 40 gr NBT load with 27.7 gr of benchmark. It's at 3650 fps. My 243 or a 22-250 a few hundred feet per second faster is only going to be flatter by and inch or less.

Last edited:
Back