Loading 55 gr nosler ballistic tips short in 243

Dultimatpredator

It's been some time since I loaded up a few test loads but I remember after my brass is trimmed to minimum if I load to the Max recommended length per noslers number 7 book the bullets would barely seat. I had to shorten the overall length to get some of the bullet base seated in the case neck. I called nosler and the rep said he loads them as well and has to do the same. Anyone else load 55 gr noslers in 243 and how short is your OAL? I'm going to run them through my aR 10 so I want to load them short enough for good neck tension to keep the bullets in my magazine from moving during recoil.

I want to load some 55grain BlitzKings for my 243 bolt rifle but if I try to reach the lands the bullet will fall out of the case. Rule of thumb is seat them the diameter of the bullet. Guess I'll try that first.

A 243 Win with Zero freebore is an awesome barrel to shoot 55g-80g in, So is the 6x47 lapua.

The whole wives tale on "load them a caliber depth in the neck" is a bunch of bad information.

If you have .100-.150 of bullet shank touching the neck with good neck tension, they will not have problems.

You do have to play with this as the less bullet that is gripped may have an effect on pressure(accuracy).

Last edited:
So is the 6-284 with zero freebore and a 13 twist
laugh.gif
. 55 NBT's at close to 4300 fps and bonafide 1/2 MOA. Laser of death on coyote.

- DAA

I use them in my 6mm rem.
No problem there not to short.
1/2" ish at 200 yards at 4200 fps.
A little tough on fur but DRT coyotes.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanA 243 Win with Zero freebore is an awesome barrel to shoot 55g-80g in, So is the 6x47 lapua.

The whole wives tale on "load them a caliber depth in the neck" is a bunch of bad information.

If you have .100-.150 of bullet shank touching the neck with good neck tension, they will not have problems.

You do have to play with this as the less bullet that is gripped may have an effect on pressure(accuracy).

About the same info the rep at nosler told me. Just enough to get some even neck tension. I'll have to measure my loads I worked up but I think they were somewhere around.2" shorter than max length if I remember. If I loaded them bullet diameter deep it would never work. The bullets are too short and I would be past where the taper/ogive starts. I think I am the same length as dirty dogs loads if I recall. Hopefully the recoil of my AR won't jar them loose.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DAASo is the 6-284 with zero freebore and a 13 twist
laugh.gif
. 55 NBT's at close to 4300 fps and bonafide 1/2 MOA. Laser of death on coyote.

- DAA

I'll trade you for my 1/9 twist.lol...no way you'll ever see a slow twist like that in a 243 unless it's a custom.

I loaded some 55 grain Blitzkings over 4064. Being a flat base bullet there was more to hang on to. To the lands measured 2.737, (and the bullet is out of the case), but I seated them 2.650. A difference of .087. They shot good and I didn't notice any problems keeping the bullet in the case. I think with a boat tail bullet you will have to seat deeper.

In my custom 243 the overall length of the 55 gr nbt is 2.72. Was worried about how much was in the case but they shot under .5 moa at 100. I think that i am near the limit of length of bullet in the case

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI load 55gr NBTs to 2.650" OAL in my Savage bolt action with pretty good accuracy. They don't seem to mind the jump too much. I run the 55gr lead frees at 2.660" OAL.

Is the Nosler FB or BT?
The lead 55gr NBT is BT, the lead free is FB
42698245414_f3d8a50859_c.jpg

I tried the 55 grain BlitzKings in my 243 and they shot pretty good. I'm going to grab a box of Noslers today to try out. My rifles a sporter barreled Remington but its showing very good accuracy so far and its still under 50 rounds fired through it. Thanks!

PS, liked your video.

Last edited:
I use Nosler brass and trim them to 2.035 (yes it’s minimum) and I’m loading them at 2.642 C.O.A.L with pretty solid results. Just make sure you get a good crimp. I use the Lee factory crimp die with solid results. Now powder and primer will yield you a pile of different answers. Out of a 26 inch tube 45 grains of Varget and a Remington 9 1/2 I clocked mine at 4168 FPS. A lot of factors go into that speed, so your mileage will vary.

Back