I know, Curiosity killed the Cat, but what's with the colored tape on rifle barrels.

hm1996

Staff member
Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeNice buck !

Hard to believe the buck died from a rig with a leupold and non blue tape.
grin.gif

OK, I'll bite! What's with the tape on rifle barrels? Just spent 30 minutes reading 3 pages of BS (gotta admit it was entertaining
grin.gif
) on campfire and still no answer as to significance.

Regards,
hm

Wondered about that, but have seen several pictures with an extra band mid-barrel. Guess that is to replace tape muzzle cover after firing?

Never thought about tape but have used finger cots on muzzle loaders to keep moisture out.....no snow down here
lol.gif

Thanks for enlightening me.

Regards,
hm

70* here currently.

Yep, that extra band around the barrel is what fooled me. After your enlightenment, made sense that is what the xtra band was for.

Regards,
hm

Glad you told me, Gary, I'll be sure to remember that next time it snows down here.
lol.gif

Regards,
Clarence

Originally Posted By: GCMust be blue to be effective...
smile.gif

Pretty sure it's at least 100fps gain with the blue...

BTW..... The extra tape band does affect the barrel harmonics . If properly placed ,it might make your rifle a 1/4 to 1/2" all day long shooter.
grin.gif

Why would I want to open up my groups that much?
lol.gif
Oh, you said all day long; my rifles are union.....9-5 only.
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeAint it to hot in Texas by 9am to hunt ? rolleyes

grin

Maybe. Winter is usually on Thursday down here and it's still cool enough to hunt until 9:45....sometimes 10 on overcast days.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeBigger groups are better for close range .
laugh.gif

Ahhhh, got it. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks, Tim.
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeBTW..... The extra tape band does affect the barrel harmonics . If properly placed ,it might make your rifle a 1/4 to 1/2" all day long shooter.
grin.gif

Only if you "do your part"...

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: CinchKeeps snow... dirt... etc out of your barrel... nothing new... I use a balloon...

What color balloon ?

Depends on what color shoes I'm wearing...

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeThat's prob enough info to process for now. I don't want you to hurt yourself.
lol.gif

How'd ya know? I was so wiped out from doing the math on that one that I hit the sack before your post, but after a good night's rest, I'm ready for some more pearls of wisdom, Tim. Never too old to learn.....just a bit slower.
wink.gif
lol.gif

Hmmm....color coordinated balloons....what will they think of next?
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

Back