22 Cal Berger 75 Gr VLD

Remage250AI

As I'm patiently waiting for my new 22-250 AI Brux 1-8 Remage barrel I'm going to be getting bullets and was thinking about these bullets. I've shot Bergers before in my .204 and really like them. But haven't used them in any of my 250's. How do you guys like them in your fast twist 22-250's ?

What are you using them for? I would think they should shoot excellent with the right load. I shoot the 75g amaxes in my
22-243 and they are a very accurate bullet.

I shoot the 75VLD's in 9"twist remy 223's. They do a fine job hitting steel. Never used them on animals before. I would be real tempted to go with 80 grain bergers since you have the 8" twist or maybe the 88's or 90's might even stabilize with that much fuel behind them. Overall though I have had good experience with the Berger bullets in everything I have tried them in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zr600What are you using them for? I would think they should shoot excellent with the right load. I shoot the 75g amaxes in my
22-243 and they are a very accurate bullet.

I use the A Max in my 22-243 as well. Does a good job on Deer, close shots on Coyotes dont fair to well. Automatic skinning in my experience. I want it for another L/R (500+ Yards) coyote killer.

I've shot a lot of coyotes with the Berger 75gr VLD in a 22-6mm. Couple things about them. 1)Like many Berger VLD's they are fairly seating depth sensitive so dialing in a load can sometimes be a little challenging. 2)They don't always open up. I've had them blow holes in the side of a coyote you could stick you fist through, but I've also had them pencil straight through. They've always resulted in a dead coyote but how the bullet performs can be a little inconsistent.

I'm building a new hot rod 22 cal and I'll be trying out the new ELD-M in that build.

B23, the same thing happened in my .204 with 40 Gr. Bergers. Most coyotes that ive shot have a pencil hole. But, the last coyote I shot was at 75 yard front chest and left a BIG HOLE !!! I was shocked to see that as that was the first for me with those bullets and I've shot A LOT of coyotes with them. Never happened before.

I shot 80gr vld’s at 3350 and results were hit and miss. Extremely accurate though. I’ve heard the 70 and 75 gr vld have more consistent expansion. Don’t know.

I have a 10 twist 22-250 I bought to sell but I’m tempted to get a box of 70gr vld’s and see if they’ll shoot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Remage250AIB23, the same thing happened in my .204 with 40 Gr. Bergers. Most coyotes that ive shot have a pencil hole. But, the last coyote I shot was at 75 yard front chest and left a BIG HOLE !!! I was shocked to see that as that was the first for me with those bullets and I've shot A LOT of coyotes with them. Never happened before.

Not really the best news to hear considering I just had a 20-222 built and the first load workup was with 40gr Bergers.
scared.gif

Those little Berger 40 grainers sure do shoot good though, first three shot group out of the gun went .094

Back