bmag

Indiyote

so a lot of people have horror stories with the accuracy of the savage bmag but im wondering how you predator hunters who hunt with them like em? ive only shot a couple coons with mine but i was very impressed with mine. experiences? include hunting pics if ya got em

The first thing I shot with mine outside of rabbits was a coyote. He stopped 100yds out and was DRT, he was facing me and I hit him at the base of the neck. The other coyote I've taken with it was mangy an the shot was broadside and he too was DRT,shot was a little over 50yd. I've shot a lot more raccoons with it and its almost like the cartridge was designed for coons it's so effective on them.

I don't own one or have even shot one, but I've looked at a few. From what I have read, if you stay away from the thin barreled plastic stock version and get the stainless heavy barrel in the laminate stock, your chances of getting an accurate rifle are better. Take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I sure hope they come out with some more rifles in 17wsm at SHOT this year, but I doubt that they will. Seems the honeymoon period has passed.

I've had my HB SS Bmag for a few years now. I bought mine before they offered the HB SS models, from the factory, with a laminated stock so as soon as I bought my Bmag I dropped it into a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. I run mine suppressed and when it was at my smiths getting threaded I had him shorten the barrel a couple inches before the threaded it. Even with mine at 20in it still shoots right at 3000fps with the can screwed on the end.

All I've shot with mine is sage rats/ground squirrels and it does a much better job of blowing them up than my 17HMR, especially at distances over 100 yards.

The 17 WSM is definitely the King of the rimfires and offers a good amount more delivered energy as well as more range than any of the other rimfires. I have two 17HMR's and they hardly ever get shot since I've had my HB SS Bmag.

Killed yote, coon, and fox with mine. Love it. It's a pencil barrel with a boyd's thumbhole stock. The coyote ran a few yards before killing over. all the rest of the critters I've shot with it are bang/flop.

I hate these posts. I don't have one but somethings telling me I should have one. Just can't seem to make myself spend the coin.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI hate these posts. I don't have one but somethings telling me I should have one. Just can't seem to make myself spend the coin.

For me, they have two niche markets. 1) If you're high volume shooting with sage rats, ground squirrels, or even PD's, and you want something economical you can shoot all day long, the 17 WSM is King. 2) If you can only use a rimfire in a particular area for shooting coyotes, again, the 17 WSM is the top dog.

Like I said before, since getting my Bmag, I can't remember the last time I shot one of my 17HMR's. For just a rimfire, the 17 WSM is a potent little round.

But, if you aren't high volume shooting and you're looking for something with better factory ammo, I think the 17 Hornet is the better choice.

Last edited:
What sort of range do you guys think is max for coyotes? I have a rimfire only spot thats about 150yds and really fear the 22mag not being enough.

Originally Posted By: greengt88What sort of range do you guys think is max for coyotes? I have a rimfire only spot thats about 150yds and really fear the 22mag not being enough.

I'm sure that's a reasonable killing range for the 17WSM but I'd still be mindful of my shot placement.

nice pics cookie125. i mainly purchased mine for coons/fox. despite mine being the pencil barrel with cheap stock version mine still seems to be pretty accurate. guess i got lucky

Last edited:
I bought mine as a HB SS with the cheap plastic stock years ago. The fore end was touching the barrel on one side and a few passes of a sandpaper covered socket wrench down the barrel channel fixed that.

I consider it's coyote killing energy good to about 150 yards and it shoots plenty good enough at that distance. Also great on fox and bobcat for the minimal pelt damage.

One of my favorite things about this is how light it is. I often lug around a 13+ pound .223 for coyote hunting and this is a dream for areas where shots will not be long. I also confess to bringing it along as a second rifle to my deer stands from time to time in case I see a yote or fox.

I’d really like to have a .17wsm but the BMag action just feels terrible. I handled one at cabelas and the bolt would cam over before the bolt was pushed fully forward. Just felt sooo cheap in my hands. Maybe a Boyd’s stock would help but I don’t know. The Rugers are really nice but only if you want to drop $750.

Since I have a .17HMR I may just get a CZ 527 .17hornet and call it good.

Last edited:
Back