Locating Black bears when there is no mast crop

masshunter

So the corn is all harvested, berry season is long past, and the acorn and beechnut crop is non-existant. Any ideas on where to look. Checked out a couple old grown up orchards, and it seems an off year for wild apples too. We can't bait here, so I thought calling might be more productive, just need a place to start.

Under the ground. They should be hybernating by now. It was 18 degrees here yesterday. Sorry for the bad news but season is done ... They should be hybernating by now.

Last edited:
Not here, they will be raiding bird feeders in the suburbs till December unless we get a heavy snow. I'm going to try some swampy places, and some old cutovers. Was just wondering if anyone had any tips or experiences that would help.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorUnder the ground. They should be hybernating by now. It was 18 degrees here yesterday. Sorry for the bad news but season is done ... They should be hybernating by now.

A whole lot colder than that here, with considerable snow on the ground. I was hunting a few days ago for moose at 10,000' and found 3 sets of bear tracks. That morning it was around 0 degrees and in the shady areas there was snow more then knee deep.
While it is late in the year, they are not all sleeping soundly.

During big mast years with little snow I have seen tracks in early Jan. I guess its a combination of food, snow,cubs, and temperature that drives hibernation, at least in this climate. Winter logging wakes up a few also. If bait was legal here that would be a big draw. I'll try some fawn distress the next clear calm day I can get out. Did you get a moose ?

Well, if they're not in the ground yet, calling, spot and stalk, and or dogs if you can use them. It's either hounds or baiting here in WI. If I couldn't do either I'd be scouting for scat and tracks and set up my fox pro when I come across fresh sign. About the only thing you can do.

Last edited:
About the only grain crop around here is corn and its all in. Didn't find any wild apples this year in the usual places. My brother found some ripped up stumps where they were digging ants and grubs, but this snow and cold and lack of food may put them down. Going to hit a place that was logged off a couple years ago tomorrow, going to be too windy for bow hunting I think so I'll take a rifle for a walk.

No dumps. My buddy just shot one in the butt Tuesday night with his pellet gun that was eating up the corn he puts out for turkeys. Got two more weeks.

My buddy sent me a pic of one about 375lbs on his trail cam here in WI from a few days ago. I didn't look at the time stamp but it came at night. It warmed up to 40 for a couple days and high thirties at night so it must have come out of hibernation.

Last edited:
Nice free plug for yourself there with your first post buddy. The camera market was hot 15 years ago now it's soft and they're a dime a dozen.lol can I order a 1000 please? Your link doesn't even work. Ha ha ha!

Last edited:
Back