Last Day, First Hour

pahntr760

Set out this AM extra early...we had gotten some snow and I was concerned about the road conditions. The roads turned out to be not overly bad, so I was at my spot extra early, set up about 1-1/2 hr before shooting light.

About 30-45 minutes later, I hear a noise below me that piqued my interest. It was faint, but I had a decent idea where it was coming from. I looked hard into the darkness and could barely make out some movement, about 200 yards away, across a few draw/coulees. After a few more minutes of light coming in, I was able to see some deer through my MeoStar binoculars. It was hard to see what was what, so I just kept a good eye on them and got everything set up for a shot...I just needed 20 more minutes of light at this point.

That 20 minutes seemed like an eternity!! Especially after I was able to ascertain that the deer in the end of the line was a buck, and a decent one at that! I grabbed the rangefinder and got the best reading I could in the conditions. These deer were between 240-260 yards and feeding to my right, across a wide gap in the juniper trees.

I finally had enough light to get behind the rifle...checked my watch and I was past the legal shooting time. The deer continued to the right, drawing the buck into the opening. He was hot on the does, even though they didn't seem overly receptive. I took one last reading with the LRF, 262 yards. I have a 200 yard zero, so I just simply decided a high shoulder hold as they continued to the right.

Doe 1 stopped, doe 2 stopped...then the buck. I held high shoulder, few ribs back as he was sightly quartering away and pressed the trigger.

At the shot, I saw a pretty good fireball from the muzzle as it was fairly overcast and dark. Still looking through the scope, I see the buck jump straight up in the air. He must have jumped 6 feet high to his belly and they took off. The does found the sanctuary of the junipers to the right, buck followed, then doubled back and fell over. He went about 25 yards from the initial impact point when he piled up. I kept the scope on him and watched him kicking, then he stopped.

My first mule deer is on the ground, 260 yards from me and I am ecstatic. He isn't the largest roaming the prairies, but I am more than happy with him.

Solo-DIY-Public Land buck. I couldn't be happier with the experience.

Rifle is a Rem M7, MullerWorks 8TW, 3 groove barrel, B&C Medalist stock, LongRifles Inc built, chambered in 6.5x47 Lapua with a 130 Accubond at 2850 FPS. Leupold VX-2 3-9X40 CDS in Talley LW.

Obligatory "as-it-lay" picture

HOMAnimated-S.gif

Nice job congrats. Used to really enjoy hunting the Hills and surrounding area. Lots of big bucks, both Mulies and Whitetails.

Originally Posted By: atdNice job congrats. Used to really enjoy hunting the Hills and surrounding area. Lots of big bucks, both Mulies and Whitetails.

I still have hope for a decent WT with a ML tag. We will see what happens!

Quote:I just needed 20 more minutes of light at this point.

That 20 minutes seemed like an eternity!!

Gotta love it! A snail can outrun the sun in this situation. Been there, done that, it'll sure get the old blood pressure up.
smile.gif

Is that rack as dark as it appears in the photos? Really pretty buck, congratulations.

Regards,
hm

His antler are pretty dark, but maybe not as dark as the picture shows. I will get some more pics up once the head gets cleaned. He does carry a bunch of mass, though. That’s for certain!

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeNice buck !

Hard to believe the buck died from a rig with a leupold and non blue tape.
grin.gif

That is pretty well the sentiment around the 24HCF. Pretty crazy stuff, huh!?

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeYeah.. That's why I said it..lol

Tag soup for me on mule deer. Second hunt, no buck yet.
I'd be happy as heck with yours !

I measured him out last night with some of that Trophy Tape stuff. He goes a bit over 140". I'll take him!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: pahntr760Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeYeah.. That's why I said it..lol

Tag soup for me on mule deer. Second hunt, no buck yet.
I'd be happy as heck with yours !

I measured him out last night with some of that Trophy Tape stuff. He goes a bit over 140". I'll take him!
grin.gif

How does that tape account for inside spread? That deer looks like it would score higher than 140". Beautiful animal

Back