Favorite deer cartridge and bullet

I hunted PA for 6 years, and after the first year left the bolt gun home and took a Marlin 375 and a Savage 99 in 300 Sav. Used the 375 mostly. We hunted Tioga county, small woodlots mostly.

Originally Posted By: reloader326I think I'll stick with the .270 (Older model Rem 700BDL) and the 130gr SST's. I took it out last weekend and fired 2 cold bore shots. Both shots were 3/8" low, 1/2" apart, centered on the bull at 100 yards. I'm happy with that, might raise it a minute.

I love your choice of rifle & cartridge. I have a 45+ year-old Model 700 BDL that'll still shoot .25" @ a hundred with 130 grain GameKings, 60 grains of H-4831 inside of W-W brass, & Fed 210M primers. For elk, I use 150 grain Partitions.

Remington revolutionized big game hunting with its famed Model 700. It allow working men to take to big game fields with excellent quality rifles that were as accurate as much more expensive rifles. I've since acquired two Sakos, but my Model 700 is my go-to rifle.

Last edited:
Good choice on the .270. I dropped a decent 6 point DRT @ 225 yards this evening with my 700 in .270 Win shooting 130 grain SST Superformance factory loads.

Any of the cartridges you listed should easily harvest a deer. I prefer the 150gr Hornady SP out of a 30-06, but because my favorite gun is a 660 Rem. in 6.5 Rem. Mag. I have shot multiple deer with that using 129 gr. HSP's and have no reservations about using it. My preferred aiming point with a rifle is just behind the front shoulder, same with a ML shooting sabots and Hornady XTP pistol bullets. That changes to on the shoulder with shotgun slugs, or round balls shot out of a ML which we were required to hunt with at one time in PA during flintlock season.

Back