Ford Eco-Boost??

pyscodog

Looking at a newer truck and it has a 3.5 Eco-Boost engine. Its a six cylinder with twin turbos. Sounds expensive for repairs to me. Have any of you got any hands on experience with the Eco-Boost engines. I hear they are good stout motors. Wondering about mileage and longevity. Plenty of power? Everything I should know about them. Thanks!!

I’ve got a 2016. Bought it new it’s got 42k on it now. Only oil changes and tire rotations. It’s been a awesome truck. Tons more power than my old 2007 5.4 liter triton F150. Also make sure you always run 91 octane. Anything less = rough engine, less power, less mpg.

I know those trucks boast big numbers, but growing up with my dad running Ford turbo diesels, I can say this much: if your turbo goes, you're either going to pay through the nose to have it fixed right, or do it yourself and have issues for the rest of the truck. Not only that, but once the turbo goes, you've got a turd motor in a full size truck.

I hate Ford. I'm a Chevy guy, but can honestly say I'd never buy any newer vehicle. BUT, if you must buy new, buy a V8 that's been around and known for its dependability. Chevy's LS motors have good reps, but if you're a Ford guy, I'd buy their longest running V8 they offer.

If you haven't done a search on that engine you might want to. Seems to be a lot of negativity on the internet about Ford's 3.5 six cylinder Eco-Boost engine.

If you look hard enough you'll will find negative comments on any product.

If new technology in trucks is a bad thing then we all should go back to oil lanterns and only hand calls for predator hunting.

It is a pretty good engine. The biggest problem that I have seen are people running conventional oil and aftermarket oil filters. If ran over filled on oil carbon deposits will form on the valves just like any other engine. The carbon deposits will cause pre-ignition/ spark knock which will result in lean codes. It is important to run motorcraft oil filters to prevent timing component failures, the motorcraft filter has a superior anti-drainback feature.

By running full synthetic oils and only filling half way in the safe zone any engine will run cleaner. If more people did research into modern API specification SN and CK4 licensed oils and the lack of zinc/phosphorus and calcium being used as detergents you would be shocked and most likely switch brands of oil. And find that conventional oils are no longer safe to use.

Since the ecoboost is intercooled condensation can form in the charge air cooler in humid climates. The symptoms are a stumble at wide open throttle after low demand driving in high humidity climates. This has been less of a concern since they have been equipped with an air deflector to reduce the efficiency/ cooling effect of the intercooler.

This write up sounds scary but don't be deterred from this engine. It is very efficient when driven properly, durable and powerful.

The turbos give little to no problems allowing the truck to be unaffected by altitude. The turbos are easily accessible in the event that they need serviced. I personally like the 2.7L version better because it is just as fun to drive and has better fuel efficiency.

The LS engines have issues also such as camshaft/lifter failures. Intake gaskets leaking coolant in the oil, and oil consumption.

Toyotas are good trucks but small and fuel hogs.

A Dodge well... Is just a dodge.

GM trucks typically have weak transmissions and differentials and the body rusts out, a crowded cockpit with less space.

The Ford truck overall is more durable and spacious. So why worry? Get the Ford truck, do better maintenance, run better oils and do it less often. Enjoy the long service life and excellent resale value.

My only complaint on the Ford truck is that they are too tall, it is difficult to reach into the bed from the sides.

I run Amsoil in my eco boost. Like was stated above run best oil don’t skimp on stuff do regular maintaince any any vehicle nowadays will run 200-300 thousand miles

EcoBoost is a name plate Ford has developed for Gas Turbo Direct Injected engines (GTDI).

it is a gasoline engine that comes from the factory with 1 or more turbo chargers, an injection pump and direct injection (like a diesel it will squirt the fuel directly on the piston in the combustion chamber rather than behind the intake valve). the Ford engines also have variable cam timing, variable injection timing and variable ignition timing.

direct injection alone will make an engine 30% more efficient and combined with a turbo it will produce more power than an engine twice its size yet get the fuel efficiency of the smaller engine when driven properly.

these engines typically have Siamese bores and heavier blocks (like a diesel) and are designed to be durable and able to withstand the abuse of turbocharging.

most modern engines have variable cam timing and it is crucial to run higher quality oils and filters to protect the timing components because the system is driven off of oil pressure.

with proper maintenance these engines can be very rewarding. if a person is neglectful just run full synthetic oil along with the factory filter and you will be able to go 10,000 miles between oil changes. if too cheap to do the better services then you may want to go back to the stone ages of running an old engine without variable cam timing. which brings up another discussion of how older engines cannot survive modern oils with lower levels of zinc and phosphorus.

Last edited:
I'm a lucky guy! I have worked for Ford for 20+ years. My two best job perks are free gas and a free truck! I have been driving the Eco-Boost since it came out. I get a new truck every 30 days to every 6 months. The Eco-boost rocks. I thought the 7.3 was the [beeep] back in the day but the Eco-Boost is the best hands down. Depending on how much you are towing, you might need the diesel but I'm only towing a few thousand pounds and the 3.7 Eco-boost can tow much more than that. The 3.5 is much better than the 2.7, in my opinion. Buy it with confidence!

Merry Christmas!

I work with some guys who had bad cam issues in the 110k range both motors had cam failures. One bought a new motor and the other bought a new V8 4x4.

Of course the 08 tundra is supposed to be a low quality truck and mine has 230k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BleedsBlueIf you look hard enough you'll will find negative comments on any product.

If new technology in trucks is a bad thing then we all should go back to oil lanterns and only hand calls for predator hunting.

It is a pretty good engine. The biggest problem that I have seen are people running conventional oil and aftermarket oil filters. If ran over filled on oil carbon deposits will form on the valves just like any other engine. The carbon deposits will cause pre-ignition/ spark knock which will result in lean codes. It is important to run motorcraft oil filters to prevent timing component failures, the motorcraft filter has a superior anti-drainback feature.

By running full synthetic oils and only filling half way in the safe zone any engine will run cleaner. If more people did research into modern API specification SN and CK4 licensed oils and the lack of zinc/phosphorus and calcium being used as detergents you would be shocked and most likely switch brands of oil. And find that conventional oils are no longer safe to use.

Since the ecoboost is intercooled condensation can form in the charge air cooler in humid climates. The symptoms are a stumble at wide open throttle after low demand driving in high humidity climates. This has been less of a concern since they have been equipped with an air deflector to reduce the efficiency/ cooling effect of the intercooler.

This write up sounds scary but don't be deterred from this engine. It is very efficient when driven properly, durable and powerful.

The turbos give little to no problems allowing the truck to be unaffected by altitude. The turbos are easily accessible in the event that they need serviced. I personally like the 2.7L version better because it is just as fun to drive and has better fuel efficiency.

The LS engines have issues also such as camshaft/lifter failures. Intake gaskets leaking coolant in the oil, and oil consumption.

Toyotas are good trucks but small and fuel hogs.

A Dodge well... Is just a dodge.

GM trucks typically have weak transmissions and differentials and the body rusts out, a crowded cockpit with less space.

The Ford truck overall is more durable and spacious. So why worry? Get the Ford truck, do better maintenance, run better oils and do it less often. Enjoy the long service life and excellent resale value.

My only complaint on the Ford truck is that they are too tall, it is difficult to reach into the bed from the sides.

GM is hit and miss with their transmissions. If people would actually read their service manual they would see that the fluid and filter needs changed every 30,000 in the 6 speeds, and every 50,000 in the 4 speeds. Both of my GM vehicles are used, and one has 88,000 miles on it, 40,000 of which were me using it like a truck, and the other has 118,000 miles on it...both have zero issues.

As for differentials, I've never heard anyone have an issue with a GM, but I do know a lot of guys with LSD issues in their Fords around 80,000 miles. Mine are still chatter free and work well.

As for rust as well, I can show you hundreds of Fords here in PA that are rotted out and look like Swiss cheese after 5 years. Nothing else rusts as bad as a Ford here. Just walk through any parking lot and it's obvious. The rusted Chevy's I see are from the 90's. Heck, my wife bought a 2010 Ford Escape that had rust holes forming at 13,000 miles! I've sworn off Ford for their garbage bodies. I'll swap a new tranny in or even rebuild a motor before I play catch up trying to cut out all the cancer that comes with Fords.

P.S. If you want higher zinc content in your oil, which I usually only worried about in my old inline 6's, then modern racing oil still retains a pile of zinc for older motors. It only last 3,000 miles, though. I personally change my oil every 3,000 miles. There's no way I would waste my money on Amsoil and only change oil once a year, and filter 4 times year. If you have a motor that NEEDS Amsoil, it better perform a heck of a lot better than a turbo charged, factory V6. Ha-ha!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterI know those trucks boast big numbers, but growing up with my dad running Ford turbo diesels, I can say this much: if your turbo goes, you're either going to pay through the nose to have it fixed right, or do it yourself and have issues for the rest of the truck. Not only that, but once the turbo goes, you've got a turd motor in a full size truck.

I hate Ford. I'm a Chevy guy, but can honestly say I'd never buy any newer vehicle. BUT, if you must buy new, buy a V8 that's been around and known for its dependability. Chevy's LS motors have good reps, but if you're a Ford guy, I'd buy their longest running V8 they offer.

I have a 97 turbo dsl, 250,000 miles, runs fine. Lil Lady has a Eco Boost, 185,000 miles minor/usual wear and tear repairs nothing major.
And we don't have to drive a "Bail out truck from GM" and Ford didn't lay off thousands of workers at Christmas time to "Go Green."

Originally Posted By: TxPigKillerOriginally Posted By: Flesh EaterI know those trucks boast big numbers, but growing up with my dad running Ford turbo diesels, I can say this much: if your turbo goes, you're either going to pay through the nose to have it fixed right, or do it yourself and have issues for the rest of the truck. Not only that, but once the turbo goes, you've got a turd motor in a full size truck.

I have a 97 turbo dsl, 250,000 miles, runs fine. Lil Lady has a Eco Boost, 185,000 miles minor/usual wear and tear repairs nothing major.
And we don't have to drive a "Bail out truck from GM" and Ford didn't lay off thousands of workers at Christmas time to "Go Green."

I love how every Ford-Fan-Boy uses that as an argument against GM. They paid back their bailout the next year, if I'm not mistaken, and I'll take reliability over any political BS, since it's my hard earned money making the payments. Every Ford guy seems to forget the Triton issues. Neglects the rust issues. Not to mention the donation to gay pride BS a few years ago.

If you really want to talk American, then you should probably be buying Toyota, since they're more American than the big 3 are anymore.

the MSRP on a 2.7 ecoboost turbo is $690. more than likely your dealer would give a discount.
also the turbos are simple to service, they have a 3 bolt flange that bolts directly to the head and the manifold is part of the head casting. each one can be replaced in about an hour if needed.
they have a very low failure rate because the turbos have a coolant passage that the engine coolant flow thru to keep the bearings cool. the most likely cause of a turbo failure is a foreign object that got past the air filter.

the older diesels had a very low failure rate unless the owner modified the truck creating excessive drive pressures.

true: Toyota is the most american truck currently

Back