Red dot for coyotes

Whitetaildown

Looking for a red dot for my AR build. Has anyone used the vortex venom? Dont really have the cash to drop on an eotech and my dealer can get me venom for half the price. What do you all think or are there any other suggestions you may have?

Thanks

You might want to look at a 1-4 or 1-6x24mm scope with an illuminated dot, on 1x it is just about like a red dot but you have the option to use it as a longer range scope. If you like Vortex they have the Stike Eagle in you price range

Last edited:
An alternate is the Sig Romeo5, 2 MOA dot, motion activated.
Wish all my red dots were motion activated.
It is about the same price, PSA has had good sales on it.
I like the infinite eye relief of a red dot vs low power scope.

Originally Posted By: WhitetaildownLooking for a red dot for my AR build. Has anyone used the vortex venom? Dont really have the cash to drop on an eotech and my dealer can get me venom for half the price. What do you all think or are there any other suggestions you may have?

Thanks The venom is a nice red dot ,just keep in mind that you will need a riser to get the proper sight height on an ar.
I run an eotech ,with a 3x magnifier on one of my rigs .

Originally Posted By: AWSYou might want to look at a 1-4 or 1-6x24mm scope with an illuminated dot, on 1x it is just about like a red dot but you have the option to use it as a longer range scope. If you like Vortex they have the Stike Eagle in you price range i like this thinking. I used a red dot on my AR for about 3 months. Had a coyote run into a small amount of brush on me and i couldnt make out which direction he was facing. I chose to pass on a shot. Had i had a slight amount of scope power, i believe i could have made out which way his body was facing. He just blended in too well at that moment that i couldnt make out how he was standing.

Thanks for the input guys. I was looking last night and got to thinking about the mounts so I have about let go of the idea of the venom and going with a sparc2 and adding a 3x magnifier later. I carry 2 rifles when I go and I use a TC venture predator in 22-250 with a 4-12x40 scope for longer range shooting work.

It is VERY hard to beat a Leupold Vxr 2-7 with the illuminated reticle. I run these (and one 2-12) on all of my rigs. Scope when you need it,red dot when you don't.

Do any of you have trouble seeing the red illuminated dot, when using a red scope light? I have a red nite eyes light and im concerned I wont be able to see the dot. Im deciding between the VX R and Trijicon Accupower lines of scopes

For an ar platform, i like the idea of a standard mounted scope along with a reflex (red dot) sight on a 45* mount. I got to fondle one at a lgs back home and it was actually pretty comfortable to shoulder aiming the reflex sight. Use it for anything that comes in close and hot, and i would go to a 2-3 power low end X 10-12 high end scope. I would see if theres any way you could try this out before buying though, as im sure its not going to be everyones fav!

And yea, i posted this not long ago on another thread i got mixed up with...My bad!

Originally Posted By: AWSYou might want to look at a 1-4 or 1-6x24mm scope with an illuminated dot, on 1x it is just about like a red dot but you have the option to use it as a longer range scope. If you like Vortex they have the Stike Eagle in you price range

^^This gets my vote^^

I've got a vortex strikefire II and I guess it will do what any red dot does, had it for years with no issues and it has a lifetime warranty. I tried one of the 1-6 scopes with lighted reticle and I took it back. It seemed heavy and awkward once on the rifle (IMO) The red dot is ok with me at shotgun ranges plus...I have a red dot on the shotgun too.

Back