Calling for bobcats

YoteFoxBobcat

When hunting exclusively for bobcats, is it better to call the whole time im on stand or break the calling up with 10-15 minute pauses? What calling techniques/sounds have worked for you?

Thanks

Last edited:
general consensus is constant calling for bobcats because it seems if the cat puts it in park, it's dang hard to get him to start coming on in after that. AND it seems most believe a guy needs to stay on stand longer, although many of us have seen plenty of cats come just as fast as any coyote does, cats tend to take their time, usually.

Have had bobcats come running in immediately when I start calling and creep in as muivh as 45 minutes after I begin.
Generally use any bird call but they'll come to most rabbit distress as well. I call continuously and generally stay 45 minutes unless I have seen something.

Regards,
hm

I kill all my bobcats to rabbit. I play continuously, switching rabbit sounds every 5 minutes. I rarely go more than 15 minutes. Most bobcats will come running like a coyote in under 5 minutes. I think the 30 minute bobcat stand philosophy comes from the old hand calling days. Hard to blow a call for 15 minutes straight. Bobcats get easily distracted, play busy sounds without stopping.

I will add one more thing. I think the reason I have bobcats come hard and fast is I do not use a decoy. If they see the decoy they usually go into sneak mode.

When calling cats I use a rodent sound first low volume at first in case there is one close. I slowly ease the volume up over 3-5 minutes time. I then switch either to a bird sounds or another rodent sound for 3-5 minutes. My favorite sounds are sounds I created Sticky Rat and bushy tail for rodents. Birds 2 bobs or pecker wood. After that Rabbit such as tiny cottontail for about 5 minutes, for a total of no more than 15 minutes usually 12. All sounds mentioned are available at www.convergenthunting.com

What I've learned since my introduction to thermal devices, is that day or night most cats show up long before we see them usually in the first 10 minutes, many times much sooner. We just don;t see them. I now use thermal during the day to spot them sneaking in.

Hope this helps

Originally Posted By: YoteFoxBobcatWhen hunting exclusively for bobcats, is it better to call the whole time im on stand or break the calling up with 10-15 minute pauses? What calling techniques/sounds have worked for you?

Thanks

I run it continuously. Like hm said, I have seen just as many come charging in as sneaking in.

The same prey calls that work on fox and coyote will work for bobcats. I have even seen bobcats come in to pup distress and fox distress.

I find that they are a bit more volume sensitive than coyotes. I don't usually run my caller above 1/2 way when calling for cats unless it's in high winds.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Gonna give it a try tomorrow morning in a thick cutover. Saw one cross the path a few weeks ago while deer hunting, so that's where I'm starting. Continuous sounds of the same prey it is.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

What btech29 said.

I kill cats every year and have them come into all sounds of game in distress. I do a lot of night hunting and exclusively use hand calls for that. They come running in at all times and then try to sneak that last few yards.

Keep the sound busy and on to keep them moving during the day.

Hunting them at night gives me the opportunity to see how they react to the sound since I can see their eyes. Once I spot them I keep using the hand call to keep them moving. If I stop, they seem to not be as interested…so, keep playing the caller.

I don't stay in any spot for more than 15-minutes unless I spot something to work in. I'd rather make more stands in good areas, than waste too much time in one spot…that's just me.

Last edited:
Back