Pulsar Apex XQ38

Im starting to look into the possibility of buying a thermal or NV scope for my rifle. So far I have checked out the Pulsar Trail XP38, Apex XQ38, and a N960 NV scope. The price difference in the trail vs the apex seemed a little steep for me since I dont really have any plans to record video from the scope. Most of our hunting here will yield shots that average 150 yds or less, with occasional shots just beyond that. Just wanted to see if anyone that has hunted with these scopes have had any complaints with them to help steer me toward one or another? For overall clarity the Apex seemed to be the best for the price, but I just wanted some real world experience from others. Thanks.

I have the exact Apex you are referring to and it is an excellent scope for the money. The only problem I have had is on profile number 1 and number 2 the picture-in-picture crosshairs do not line up with the standard crosshairs in the big screen. It is not a problem on profile number 3 so I just use it and if I change to a different gun I just change my X & Y coordinates back and forth. Over the years of using it it is getting less and less frequent that I change it to different firearms. Anymore I keep it on my basic AR-15 in 223 and just leave it there.

Originally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456I have the exact Apex you are referring to and it is an excellent scope for the money. The only problem I have had is on profile number 1 and number 2 the picture-in-picture crosshairs do not line up with the standard crosshairs in the big screen. It is not a problem on profile number 3 so I just use it and if I change to a different gun I just change my X & Y coordinates back and forth. Over the years of using it it is getting less and less frequent that I change it to different firearms. Anymore I keep it on my basic AR-15 in 223 and just leave it there.

Kevinfarmer, when I first got my thermal scope I noticed the same thing with the PIP reticle not in alignment with the scope reticle. I asked this question on here and if you click on the link to the conversation you will find the answer...the PIP is always centered in the screen while your actual scope crosshairs will not be exactly centered relative to the amount of X/Y you have cranked into it for zero. Makes sense. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...398#Post3117398

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: Kevinfarmer3456I have the exact Apex you are referring to and it is an excellent scope for the money. The only problem I have had is on profile number 1 and number 2 the picture-in-picture crosshairs do not line up with the standard crosshairs in the big screen. It is not a problem on profile number 3 so I just use it and if I change to a different gun I just change my X & Y coordinates back and forth. Over the years of using it it is getting less and less frequent that I change it to different firearms. Anymore I keep it on my basic AR-15 in 223 and just leave it there.

Kevinfarmer, when I first got my thermal scope I noticed the same thing with the PIP reticle not in alignment with the scope reticle. I asked this question on here and if you click on the link to the conversation you will find the answer...the PIP is always centered in the screen while your actual scope crosshairs will not be exactly centered relative to the amount of X/Y you have cranked into it for zero. Makes sense. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...398#Post3117398
im reffering to a adifferent problem. My problem is the crosshairs dont match up on the target. When using profile 1 or 2 the pip crosshair will be on target and the bottom crosshair is slightly low on target. As if they are both aiming at different locations.

NChunter, I have the Apex XQ38 and love it. I haven't noticed the PIP and crosshair difference since I mainly use the base mag anyway, but I guess I need to check it out. The XQ38 is a very good scope for the money, though granted it is not cheap. Also, it has recording capability but you will need a mini DVR recorder ($100 more or less) and hook it to the supplied cable that comes with the scope. No big deal to record, and an external battery is available. For the difference in cost I cant see spending $700 more for a Trail that still has 384 resolution just to get those two features. A 640 Trail is about $2000 more - too much for me.

The one thing I do like about the trail over the Apex model is on the trail unit you can increase the magnification of the PIP window but on the Apex unit it will only go x2 so your bottom picture will be 2.2 and your top will be 4.4

Last edited:
Back