Loads for a 22-250 with a 8 twist

BOBTAILS

I just picked up a new RAR in 22-250 with a 8 twist. I am thinking of a slinging 60-75 grain bullets. Anybody have one of these rifles or any loads for a 8 twist 22-250??

Originally Posted By: Remage250AILook in your reloading book. But Im thinking like 36.5 Varget is what I use.

Thanks but I am looking for some bullet/ powder combos that worked for others hopefully with this rifle to cut down on time.

Originally Posted By: BOBTAILSOriginally Posted By: Remage250AILook in your reloading book. But Im thinking like 36.5 Varget is what I use.

Thanks but I am looking for some bullet/ powder combos that worked for others hopefully with this rifle to cut down on time.

I'm using 75 Gr. A-Max with 36.5 Gr Varget.

Originally Posted By: UtahcallerThat’s pretty impressive if you’re shooting that Combo in a standard .22-250...

Easily done with a 8 twist.

What does twist rate have to do with case capacity?

Hornady shows about 33.5 grains of powder (RL-15) which is basically the same as Varget as Max with the 75 grain A-Max in the .22-250.

Last edited:
Yeah I follow you now, that does seem to be alot with a 75 grain pill pushed on top, but most reloading manuals seem to be on the conservative side.

Last edited:
That’s a totally different conversation. The 8 twist will have a higher RPM than a 14 Twist which with all things being equal will have the 8 Twist running faster than the 14 Twist. But the cases are the same how do you get more powder in an 8 Twist than a 14 Twist? Enquiering Minds Want to know... I’m saying 36.5 grains of Varget with a 75 grain Amax is a lot of powder in a standard .22-250. It’s close to max in a 55 grain bullet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UtahcallerThat’s a totally different conversation. The 8 twist will have a higher RPM than a 14 Twist which with all things being equal will have the 8 Twist running faster than the 14 Twist. But the cases are the same how do you get more powder in an 8 Twist than a 14 Twist? Enquiering Minds Want to know...😉

Was changing my answer as you were typing I guess. After I reread your response. Like I stated about I figure lawyers nowadays make the reloading data be on the conservative side to prevent stupid stuff. I have found several times that I can go higher than published data and be just fine. Not that anyone should ever do that!
wink.gif

I shot a standard .22-250 14 Twist for around 25 years with 36 grains of Varget and 55 grain bullets (3600 fps)and in my rifle it was Max. 36.5 grains and bolt was sticky. A few years back I Rebarreled that rifle to .22-250AI 12 Twist and I’m shooting 38 grains of RL15 and 60 grain Berger’s(3800 fps) and it is Max. So that’s why I question the load that was posted. But if it works for ya by all means try it.

Way back in the long ago time, I used 4350SC and RL22 with 75's in my 8 twist .22-250AI's. I mostly ran 80's in them, with the RL22, but did shoot a lot of 75 Amax too. Was getting close to 3500 fps with the 75's, long barrels, I actually forget exactly how long, 29" I think. That was a long time ago, lot of new powders out since then. And of course the AI has a bit more capacity than the standard case. But I'd imagine anything in that range of burn rate would work, maybe lean towards slightly faster for the standard case and/or shorter barrel.

- DAA

I run an 8 twist 22-250 AI but my fire form load is 32.8 grains of IMR 4064 under a Hornady 68 grain BTHP. Virgin Lapua brass and WLR primers. I would use with caution; start low and work up because I don't know how the fire form process affects the pressure. Gives me outstanding accuracy though.

Bobtails, I have never killed coyotes with the 75's in the AI. I have however shot a slug of 60g Bergers, and this bullet is worth building a gun around. I shot the 60's at 3700 with 37g of Win 760 and a fed 210 primer in Rem brass, accuracy was in the 2's. Coyotes are seriously mangled up with this load, and cats will be almost shot in half if not shot in half.

I am shooting the 60's in a 22-243 AI now at 4000, bug holes in a 23" 14T barrel. However, never have killed a thing with it.

I would be serious about buying a box of the Sierra Tipped match kings. Slice one of the bullets in half and see if there is an air pocket behind the tip. If there is an air pocket behind that tip, you will have a great hunting bullet with very high quality. If no air pocket, then runners and flippers will abound....my best guess.

Originally Posted By: liliysdad36.5 gr of Varget under a 75gr bullet is not happening in a standard 22-250AI....but its a cool story.

+1

Strange things have happened. Varget varies a lot from lot# to lot# which could be the only explanation.

I had one 22/250 where 36g with a 55g sierra was an absolute max load in, ruining primer pockets. The next can, it took 37.5g to get the same 55's to speed with accuracy. I am very, very leary of varget and H4895 when it comes to lot numbers.

Last edited:
Back