Power Outage: Food Safety

Flesh Eater

So, this past weekend I was affected by the mass outage in western PA. Our power went out around 4 am Friday morning, and returned Sunday afternoon at 1pm.

The temperatures outside reached about 40 degrees at one point Sunday, but my interior in my house read 44 degrees when I returned home Sunday.

My question is, would you guys eat the unopened dairy/eggnog/etc. left in your refrigerator or toss it? The majority of the outage was during exterior temperatures of 23 degrees-30 degrees all weekend. We threw away the meat we had defrosted in the refrigerator, but I kept the unopened eggnog, eggs, and whole milk. Should I toss those, too?

Trying not to be a giant puss, but food poisoning doesn't sound like fun. So far everyone is still okay.
smile.gif

When you camp in those temps, how long would you keep meat that started out frozen? Smell the dairy.
I camp in the summer and meat is good in a cooler for a few days thawed and kept chilled.
If you can't eat all the meat, cook it and refrigerate the meals for a few more days or freeze for????Vac sealing works great to extend freezer or fridge time

How warm did the inside of the fridge get? Unless is got warm, everything should be fine. The key to keeping things good is to not open the fridge any more than needed. That will keep the cold in. I have had outages of 4 days and never had items go bad.

If the inside temp was 44 and you didn't open the fridge very much, I'd wager all the food was fine. I'd eat and drink it unless the smell gives you reason not to.

Back