Rainy Sunday morning coyotes

Snowshoes

This weather going from, -8F yesterday to +36F this morning is enough to drive a guy nuts! Just to top it off it was raining out and had been for awhile. What started out to be an additional 2 inch fresh dump of snow last night, was now slush.
I decided to go back to where I seen the 5 coyotes yesterday in hopes of catching some headed back to their bedding area. Pulled onto a snow covered slushy hi-way that was very slippery. I only had a couple miles of hi-way driving so thought, no big deal as I would just putt along. Traveled a mile and a half down the hi-way when out of the ditch, comes a small whitetail buck which promptly runs square into my truck grill. The buck skids across the hi-way but is back onto it’s feet and continues his quest across the field to find some female companions.
Well that sucks! Was able to brake before hitting the deer but didn’t get slowed down much from my already slow traveling speed. Sure is a lot of plastic on the front of these new trucks and it doesn’t seem very deer impact resistant either!
smile.gif

After a quick look at the damage, I decide there is nothing I can do here, so continue the half mile trek down the hi-way to my turn off.
The windshield wipers had been on steady since leaving home and I really question my sanity of going out and sitting in the rain for an hour or so.

I walk to my look out spot and its a half a hour of relentless rain before finally seeing a coyote. Not sure what this coyotes hurry was but it seemed to be traveling at Mach-1 and was into the trees in no time. Never even moved the rifle!
A few minutes pass and I see a group of four coming across the field and figured they may have been the reason for the first ones hasty travels. The four cut further to the west than I hoped but still within range. When the first one stops, I settle the cross hairs onto its chest and with a touch of the trigger, down goes coyote number one. ( later ranged at 217 yards). The other three scatter to the bush before I can get any of them into my sights.

Sit for another half hour just to make sure I’m good and soggy before bugging out. I know my outer clothes are fairly damp but my base layer’s are still dry and I wanted to keep it that way!
On the walk back to the truck I notice movement in the cattails at the one slough. Just thinking it was a magpie I really didn’t pay it too much attention but then a second glance perked my interest. A quick look with the binoculars confirms “ coyote”, and as an added bonus, it seems totally unaware of my presence.
I get set up and now to wait and see what the coyotes next move is. Eventually it trots into the field and with a couple barks I stop it for a shot. The 64 gr. bullet hits it’s mark and I have coyote number two down ( range at 211 yards).

Normally I would do another set but in these conditions, it wasn’t happening today.
Hopefully the body shop can do the repairs in a timely matter and I’m not without a truck for very long. May have to get a rental truck for a few days.

Last edited:
nice job.
your more persistent than I. I planned on an afternoon hunt but with this wind and rain i decided to stay in. maybe i should have gone anyways.

Originally Posted By: Displayed Name Keep at em!
I will!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Yotarunnernice job.
your more persistent than I. I planned on an afternoon hunt but with this wind and rain i decided to stay in. maybe i should have gone anyways.
The ground has been, brown, white, brown, white, so many times this fall I've lost count. Has made for some unique hunting! I'm sure you've been experiencing the same type conditions.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorVery nice. Congrats on to soggy yotes.
Thank you, lockrotor, nothing like a stinky coyote combined with "wet dog" smell to clear the ole nostrils!

I have a question for ya snowshoes. What percentage of stands that you make would you say you see coyotes on? I'm just curious because it seems like i have to make 5 or 6 stands just to see a coyote. I made 4 20-25 minute stands today in areas that I know have coyotes and didn't manage to see a single coyote. In a few days the rifle season for deer will end and that will take a lot of pressure off the coyotes too. hopefully my numbers go up!

Originally Posted By: LittleAndyI have a question for ya snowshoes. What percentage of stands that you make would you say you see coyotes on? I'm just curious because it seems like i have to make 5 or 6 stands just to see a coyote. I made 4 20-25 minute stands today in areas that I know have coyotes and didn't manage to see a single coyote. In a few days the rifle season for deer will end and that will take a lot of pressure off the coyotes too. hopefully my numbers go up!
For me, that can change so much from week to week. As I am sure you have found, some weekends can seem the country is void of a coyote. Then a week later, coyotes may respond to 75% of the sets.(Not often but does happen
smile.gif
) I find I can count on cold snaps to help bring those odds up too. As for an over all average, maybe 50% in areas that doesn't see a lot of calling pressure and likely 10% in the areas with heavier hunting pressure. I usually call, past proven spots but try to hunt some "new" areas every year also. Always looking for that phantom honey hole
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fratriWow, you have been busy, congratulations on your success, always enjoy reading your stories and great pics
Thank you fratri, I appreciate the comments!

Awesome, thanks for the response. I'd say that 10% is about what I see where I hunt. There are just just too many people out chasing them here. During deer season EVERYONE is a coyote hunter as well. 5 more days and it's done, then I can get out the thermal and start night hunting them as well. I gotta drive a long ways to get into areas where they don't see any pressure. Guess I'll have to start traveling to new spots.

Back