Is dry firing WO a snap cap bad for Rem 700 ?

I wouldn't worry about it. Dry fired a pre-64 mod. 70 many thousands of "rounds" w/o snap caps and wore out three barrels and have the fourth barrel in it now and haven't changed a thing other than the barrels.

Regards,
hm

Dont know why you would want to but it's ok to do so.If you just want to take the pressure off the spring hold the trigger down while closing the bolt.

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Dont know why you would want to but it's ok to do so.If you just want to take the pressure off the spring hold the trigger down while closing the bolt.

Dry firing is next to, and actually superior to actual range time in some aspects in identifying common errors you are making and will help tremendously in the marksman's ability.

The main advantage dry firing offers is that there is no recoil to mask your mistakes, such as getting on the trigger a bit aggressively, etc., etc.

Dry firing simply helps the shooter to become one with his firearm, making him a much more proficient marksman.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Originally Posted By: Bernie P.Dont know why you would want to but it's ok to do so.If you just want to take the pressure off the spring hold the trigger down while closing the bolt.

Dry firing is next to, and actually superior to actual range time in some aspects in identifying common errors you are making and will help tremendously in the marksman's ability.

The main advantage dry firing offers is that there is no recoil to mask your mistakes, such as getting on the trigger a bit aggressively, etc., etc.

Dry firing simply helps the shooter to become one with his firearm, making him a much more proficient marksman.
I agree 100 %
Joe
Regards,
hm

If something is weak and going to break I would rather my rifle broke when I was dry firing it than in the field. I dry fire my rifles all the time. Hasn't broken yet.

When I was at Camp Pendleton(Seabee's weapons/tactics training 50+ years ago) they had us spend more time dry-firing our M-14's than actually firing rounds, if I remember right they called it "snapping in". I still spend time in my shooting stool and cross sticks dry-firing to get the feel of the trigger and sight picture.

Last edited:
Quote:When I was at Camp Pendleton(Seabee's weapons/tactics training 50+ years ago) they had us spend more time dry-firing our M-14's than actually firing rounds, if I remember right they called it "snapping in".

Yep. Firing pins on the M1 Garand (and M14, which is similar in design, but a bit shorter) can, and do suffer slightly from dry firing due to the hammer striking the 90* hook on back of firing pin. They tend to work harden and break at the 90* bend. In fact, the firing pin competes with the magazine follower arm as to the most often replaced part on the M1 IME.

s-l640.jpg

Not sure, however, if dry firing is much harder on them than live fire. I fired/dry fired mine a lot and never broke a pin.

Regards,
hm

When I got the Ernie spring the instructions stated that dry firing and applying a polishing compound would improve the trigger pull. It did not say to use snap caps or not ,also I did not use a compound as I was not sure how to apply it to the proper area without disassembling the trigger and was not sure how to remove afterwards.I should have emailed to get further information . These days companies are super afraid of advise . Such is the dumbing down of America and accepting responsibility for our own actions no matter how stupid they might be.Thanks for everyone's input .If you have advise on how to apply and remove the compound please say so.

Originally Posted By: LodgepoleI put the Ernie spring in SPS he said use makes these triggers better
Will dry firing hurt it ?

don't pull the trigger too hard.

Back