Saturday morning pair

Snowshoes

Last night, a quick check of the weather station before calling it a night showed -8F & a S.W. breeze. This morning, the breeze was still from the same direction but it had warmed up to 0F.
First location I head to, shows a fair bit of coyote sign in the fresh snow as I walk to my look out location. A quick look at my watch and I know I should have been here earlier. At the halfway mark of my trek, I see a coyote crest the hill to the northwest of me. I drop down but the coyote picks me out and turns around and trots away. I realize I’m not likely going to get to my usual spot without getting busted by any remaining coyotes, so decide to set up where I’m at.
A little frustrated with my tardy late arrival is amplified when I watch 5 different coyotes over the next 45 minutes wander past the spot I should have been at.
I contemplated leaving but when I see a coyote walk out of the trees 30 feet west of me, those thought are put to rest. The coyote is looking to the north but I dare not move until the coyote gets some distance between us. The coyote trots into the field and I swing the gun over but my motions are detected. Straight to the cattails it runs and I don’t see it again till its on the other side of the slough. The coyote clears the cattails and runs up the far bank but makes the mistake to stop and take a look back. Crosshairs raised up bit on the shoulder and with a touch of the trigger, a 64 gr Berger from the 223AI is sent on its way. The coyote folds in its tracks and I feel a bit of relief of getting this coyote who first showed itself a mere 30 feet away.
Walked over to the downed coyote and ranged back to where I sat ( 244 yards). The bush in the background is where I sat and the slough in the center is where it ran to. Not a good coyote so it was just drug off the field to become raven & magpie feed.

From there, I drive 2 miles west and after parking the truck behind a treed fence line, I walk to a round bale. Set up in the shadows of the bale and noticed the sun sparkling off the frost which made nearby trees look like they were covered with tiny crystals.

Some cottontail distress and its not long before I see a coyote to the south peering directly at me. Slowly swing the crosshairs onto fur and down goes the second coyote of the morning. Called a bit more but no other takers.
Walked over to the coyote and ranged back to the bale I sat at ( 51 yards).

A nice white bellied male coyote!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SVBCongrats on your Kills SS-------------------------svb

Thank you SVB, these cold mornings can be rewarding.

Originally Posted By: reloader326Excellent, have you chronographed those loads?
Those 64's are leaving the barrel at 3155 fps (VV N133 powder)

Originally Posted By: lockrotorGreat write up and pictures. Thanks

Thank you lockrotor, I appreciate that.

Originally Posted By: todbartellSnowshoes, the machine, is back at it!!!
LOL, thank you todbartell

Good to see you are still getting it done with that .223 AI. Always enjoy seeing the nice fur you guys get up there. Keep 'em coming and stay warm.

Originally Posted By: luderIm caught up reading, great stories and pics. Always impressed with your numbers, congrats
Hey thanks, I hope be fortunate enough to harvest a few more coyotes over the course of the winter.

Originally Posted By: MatlockGood to see you are still getting it done with that .223 AI. Always enjoy seeing the nice fur you guys get up there. Keep 'em coming and stay warm.
I'm growing a real fondness for the 223AI. Thank you for the comments
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: gord mccooYou are a machine. Love reading your stories snowshoes.
Keep them coming

Lol, thanks and will do!

Back