Build It!

EMP3

I've been thinking -an activity I've been known to do when I'm forced- about predator calls. They're of very simple design.

If an app were available offering an array of predator calls, all one would have to do is Blue Tooth an iPhone to a couple portable Bose speakers. The rig might have to be modified to accommodate long range Blue Tooth. An iPhone would transmit calls to speakers.

If you go to the Electronic Calls thread there are a number of posts about putting together home builts.

I built a remote call a long time ago, pre-cell phone using a remote mic for a camcorder. It worked and called a lot of coyotes but it was a pain to use, too many volume controls sets of batteries, on/off switches and 6' of antennae. I was so glad when I bought my first Minaska Bandit. Later I adapted it to run with a Western Rivers call for my BinL in WI. He called quite a few coyotes with it and sold it to get a Foxpro, he never looked back either. I understand it might still be calling critters up that way.

It is always fun to build something yourself and even more fun when it works.

Good luck

I love to build my own stuff. Sometimes its cheaper, sometimes its better....in this case, cheaper is the only box checked, and even thats a maybe.

Electronic calls range in price from really cheap to really expensive. When electronics come in to play, I'm lost!!! Its cheaper for me to just save up and buy the one I want. They come with a warranty too. I have an FX3 and would like some calls removed and replaced with ones I would use but I'm not smart enough to do it. Years ago.....I built one using a cassette player and a 12 volt battery. Try hauling that bad boy around. Then I got a Johnny Stewart. It was better until it ate a tape. I finally bought a FoxPro FX3 and things got much better.

Many years ago i bought an am fm radio with a cd player .. I downloaded free sounds from the internet and burnt them to cd .. It worked well and i called several coyotes .. I used it for several years ..

I actually did that whenever I first started calling coyotes. I just downloaded an app from the app store, which I unfortunately don't remember the name of, and used a bluetooth speaker. Worked ok for how I call (Handcall/Electronic) but my Foxpro is far superior in both usability and sound quality.

Back when I started coyote hunting, in the late 80's, I used an old car stereo cassette player, a Radio Shack speaker horn and amplifier, and a small 12V battery. I killed lot's of coyotes with that rig.

Then, I bought a Foxpro loaded with turkey calls off Ebay, and downloaded sounds from Western Rivers (they were free from WR). I used that caller on dozens of stands over 2 years, and did not call in a single coyote. Not one.

I am not faulting either Foxpro or Western Rivers products. I suspect some 'noise' was downloaded as well, noise that I could not hear, but the coyotes sure did.

Back