Good fur bullets for 6mm?

I've used the 58gr V-Max and 55gr NBT Lead Free with good success out of my 6mm/204 around 3600fps. If I get too close to the edges I do get some nasty blow outs. Suprisingly 62gr Varmint Grenades gave huge exits.

If I'm hunting for pelts I usually leave the 6's at home anymore.

Last edited:
I can tell you what I have tried in a 6WOA (6x6.8). I tried 58 and 65 grain vmax. Ok results to start and it just kept going downhill with more splashes and less DRTs. I tried most of the Berger Hps. I love Bergers in my .17, .204 and 22-250, but just couldn't get the 6's to fly right. I also tried Sierra 60 hps, 70 blitzkings, and I kind of lost track of the others as there were more. The Sierra 60 hp's seemed to do the best. Still didn't love them, as their BC isn't very great, but out to 250 yards they did ok. I have gone back to shooting my 22-250 because I simply like the performance of the Berger Target HPs better. However, if someone has a bullet that has killed hundreds of coyotes for them that is fur friendly and shoots really nice, I am interested.

Out of 40+ coyotes shot with a 243 and 75gr Vmax, I've only had 3 with pelt damage, and that damage was severe, and one really mangy coyote at about 150yds, and the Vmax richocheted on the frozen ground, with a very small exit. I'm not sure that one even expanded.

From 20yds to a bit over 400yds, they just do not exit, except as noted above.

The worst performer in the 243 was the 55gr Btip. I had runners and floppers, which is surprising to me.

I have not shot a ton of coyote with it, but the Sierra 70 grain BTHP has done a good job out of my 243. Haven’t had any with pelt damage yet. I do wait for a good shot though and do not just shoot at any angle. I try to shoot broadside through vital or into chest cavity facing straight on. Believe Sierra Number is 1505. Mine is on top of a case loaded with Varget. Furthest shot with it so far was 390 on coyote, he ran a 100 yards but died so I was happy. Good luck!

I tore up exactly one coyote with the 65 VMax at 3300 FPS. I shot a couple hundred with that load over the course of several years.

I have found the 70 gr varmageddon shoots better, and causes a little more fur damage but it’s manageable.

Thank you all for the replies. Dad gave me some speer 75 grain hollow points, and some 80 grain sierra blitz bullets. Going to load tonight and see how they shoot.

69g bergers are great in a 243 shot around 3500 fps for saving hides(44.5g Of win 760 and fed 210).

If you are NOT saving hides, then look no further than a 80g Sierra blitz boat tail, with 4064 at 3400...very loud WHOP when you connect on a coyote.

80g bergers do not tear up a coyote, usually a half dollar size exit, less when 150 plus yards. I quit shooting the 80g berger because I like big holes, but we NEVER had runners or flippers with the 80g bergers in 243's at 3400.

We killed hundreds with the 60g Sierra HP and Berger at 3700-4000 fps in a 243 custom and 6 Rem custom respectively, 300 yards was not a problem.

The test of a good bullet is a quartering shot, striking one shoulder with the bullet exiting the rib cage, or a running away shot, hitting the hip bone or spine with the bullet having enough Azz behind it to penetrate and kill cleanly.

If you dont mind a quarter size exit then there's a bunch of good 6mm bullets on the table. I cant tell you how they work, but I'm trying 55gr lead free ballistic tips at 4000fps out of my .243. We called in a grey fox the last time and I was happy that my buddy got it with his .223 though...lol. POP!....was my expectation if hit with the .243.

Last edited:
I'm having good success with 55gr NBT lead free @ 3550 fps. No exits on coyotes. No exit on a 20 lb sitting front chest bobcat, tiny entry. Even took a fox with it @ 100 yards with a quarter sized exit but I wouldn't expect that next time on foxes.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGI'm having good success with 55gr NBT lead free @ 3550 fps. No exits on coyotes. No exit on a 20 lb sitting front chest bobcat, tiny entry. Even took a fox with it @ 100 yards with a quarter sized exit but I wouldn't expect that next time on foxes.
What are you shooting this with?

Originally Posted By: Hcboy
DiRTY DOG said:
6DTI, 22" Shilen barrel. 55gr NBT-LF over 31.5gr 8208xbr and CCI 450s in Fed brass = 3550fps.

30129142337_fc57266201_c.jpg

I shoot the same 55gr NBT-LFs in my 243 Win at just over 4000fps but have completely neglected that rifle since I got my 6DTI.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGOriginally Posted By: Hcboy
DiRTY DOG said:
6DTI, 22" Shilen barrel. 55gr NBT-LF over 31.5gr 8208xbr and CCI 450s in Fed brass = 3550fps.

I shoot the same 55gr NBT-LFs in my 243 Win at just over 4000fps but have completely neglected that rifle since I got my 6DTI.

Have you killed much with that load in your .243? Just curious about the effect.

Quote:Have you killed much with that load in your .243? Just curious about the effect.
Just a few rock chucks, kills them pretty good, a few head shots and no exit body shots, instant death. No predators, sorry, don't plan to either, but it shoots fantastic. That's 5 @ 100 yards.
41507918552_385617eb21_c.jpg

OK, thanks. It's my only varmint rifle at the moment, but it shoots awesome just like yours. I'll probably be using a shotgun 80 or 90 percent of the time anyways.

Back