Any love still for the 22 Nosler?

Beni

Been reading all the old posts on here the last week.
I realized that almost all the posts are from 2017.
I've had a Wilson combat 22" barrel and 400 new brass and dies sitting around since July.
Was thinking about putting it together. I also have a new BA barrel in .223 Wylde.
Just debating what to do. Go with the Nosler or load up some 5.56 for the BA.

dial up the 22 nosler and tell us what happens. some complained of soft brass, I would be interested if that is still the case. sometimes I wish I had went with it instead of 6DTI, I only want to shoot light bullets and 22 caliber has way more selections. not that I am unhappy. I would be interested in some feedback in particular how it runs with full house loads.

The brass I have is from Midway. It has the radius rim. I thought I heard at one point.
That the first brass had a square rim. Maybe this brass is a little harder.
Midway has had 22 Nosler brass, factory loads and dies on clearance for quite some time now. Not sure what to think of that.

The brass is still a bit soft and I have shot more than a few through mine. They shoot well with good loading practices. I can't speak to the factory loads as I've never bought/fired any. The Nolser steps up for usage in spades if you convert the Hagar brass to it. What we've shot with it is outstanding compared to the factory Federal stuff. Loading the Hagar in the 22-NXS with case life already at nine firings with tight pockets speaks well to it and a cross over to the 22N is certainly reasonable.. That tall waisted rebated case head is not helping at all for longevity.

Midway does those clearances all the time and then three months later has the ame stuff back in stick and three months later closes them out again. I've picked up more than one Redding bushing die in 6.8 because of that and saved some nice con. I also picked up 300 pieces of the Nosler bras at give away prices so if it wears out fast I don't shed too many tears.

I think the N has a step up on the Valkyrie if you stick with the light bullets thanks to case volume. Both are SAAMI'd at 55,000 and that is a bit detrimental in comparing them to a 6.8/Hagar variant like that can run at 57,500 with no issues. The Nolser case walls are very thin and this is where e it picks up it's volume but that is also working against it in the upper pressure ranges. I did pick up a VALK. barrel so I can run some side buy sides with it and if Black Friday generates some extra uppers I'll have Ritch build one for me. I'll be able to run 22X6.8, 22 Nolser, 22 NOSGAR, 22 Valkyrie and 22-NXS all in teh same length tubs. That will make for a long couple days on the range but should generate one heck of a lot of comparison data.

If you build yours let us know how it does.

Greg

22 nosler is a no brainer. 22" is a good length. Factory 55 bt stuff will run 3500 fps. Brass is fine. Pockets don't get loose but he case head will just pound to .380" and won"t fit in the shell holder after several hot firings. When it wont fit in the shellholder throw it away because it will not fit in the bolt face after it gets any worse. We killed probably 50 coyotes with 55 bts over 33 cfe 223 last year which in 3475 in the cold. Its all I bother using anymore. Its just simple. Cases last as long as amy other similar round.

Last edited:
I've killed a ton of critters with mine. I reload the 60 grain BT and any swiped brass issues are gone.

This antelope was taken at 388 yards on October 1st. The shot dropped her within 20 yards of where she stood at the shot.

eric-antelope-varminter-22-Nosler.jpg

22 nosler works good for those whom are looking for a budget wildcat. dies are cheap and readily available, brass readily available. can be upgraded to "NOSGAR" simply by changing the bolt and switching to Hagar brass.

if you are hunting with it and tend to lose brass on the stand the soft brass is a not an issue.
if you plan on reloading pushing the pressures simply use Hagar brass.

I use hornady 55gn spfb projectiles along with H4895 in Hagar brass, it has good speed and thumps the heck out of yotes, (no more runners)

I still like mine. Its my go to choice when I take an AR predator or varmint hunting. I have a 22" WOA barrel and shoot 55gr Nosler BTs.

The AR stoner barrels I had were worthless for accuracy and chamber dimensions. I just installed an Odin Works barrel and will be shooting this Saturday.

Originally Posted By: BeniThe brass I have is from Midway. It has the radius rim. I thought I heard at one point.
That the first brass had a square rim. Maybe this brass is a little harder.
Midway has had 22 Nosler brass, factory loads and dies on clearance for quite some time now. Not sure what to think of that.

Don't think anything of it. They usually use the word "clearance" when there is a "sale" price.

Any love? Absolutely! I'm completely in love with mine. Soft brass....not soft brass.....who cares. Brass is cheap compared to all other aspects of this game. I think it got off to a bad start because some of the first offerings were AR Stoner barrels. If anyone knows of an accurate one, I'd like to hear about it. I load mine in the way I believe this cartridge was meant to be loaded....light bullets moving fast. I'm running 50 grain NBTs at 3550. This load prints sub half in groups and has shot many 1/4" groups. I had the 50s over 3700 fps but my groupd were around an inch and a little bigger at times. This load hammers coyotes like my 250s and produces minimal, and most times zero, fur damage. If you ask me......it perfectly fills the gap between the 223 and the 22-250. If you handload, and you're looking to amp up the performance of your AR, with minimal changes (which is what it was designed for) then the 22 Nosler is just what the doctor ordered! Just screw on a quality tube and I don't think you will be disappointed. 4 of my buddies had one built after seeing mine perform for 2 seasons.

I just replaced my 20" 556 bull barrel with a 22" cmmg barrel for my
Night time coyote hunting rig. Going to Chrono it today with some
55gr BT Dogtown ammo from midwayusa. I have fired about 15 rounds
just for break in purposes. Brass seems fine to me. Just your typical extraction
marks Hoping it's a little flatter and hits harder.

Originally Posted By: JerdoggerI just replaced my 20" 556 bull barrel with a 22" cmmg barrel for my
Night time coyote hunting rig. Going to Chrono it today with some
55gr BT Dogtown ammo from midwayusa. I have fired about 15 rounds
just for break in purposes. Brass seems fine to me. Just your typical extraction
marks Hoping it's a little flatter and hits harder.

How is that barrel accuracy? I have thought about buying one

3400 fps average. A little disappointed advertise speed 3500 24" barrel. That's surppresed using sig 7.62 QD. 30 Cal. At some point going to install an adjustable gas block. Not sure if that will help velocities. My Chrono is not the best of the best. Cheap Caldwell. I had it in the sun first and remembered it works better in the shade.

I'm shooting with a pulsar apex XQ50 I never really tested for
Accuracy like I should have with my vortex, was printing about 1-1.5 with the thermal. I was shooting during the day at a penny. I think that's pretty good. Seem like with a good optic on top should be moa no prob.

Originally Posted By: Jerdogger3400 fps average. A little disappointed advertise speed 3500 24" barrel. That's surppresed using sig 7.62 QD. 30 Cal. At some point going to install an adjustable gas block. Not sure if that will help velocities. My Chrono is not the best of the best. Cheap Caldwell. I had it in the sun first and remembered it works better in the shade.
Do you reload? Put 33 grains of cfe 223 under those 55s.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: Jerdogger3400 fps average. A little disappointed advertise speed 3500 24" barrel. That's surppresed using sig 7.62 QD. 30 Cal. At some point going to install an adjustable gas block. Not sure if that will help velocities. My Chrono is not the best of the best. Cheap Caldwell. I had it in the sun first and remembered it works better in the shade.
Unfortunately no. I need too start [beeep]. I'm going to try the
Trophy Grade at some point and check the speed on those.
I am saving my brass [beeep]😋😋

Originally Posted By: JerdoggerOriginally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: Jerdogger3400 fps average. A little disappointed advertise speed 3500 24" barrel. That's surppresed using sig 7.62 QD. 30 Cal. At some point going to install an adjustable gas block. Not sure if that will help velocities. My Chrono is not the best of the best. Cheap Caldwell. I had it in the sun first and remembered it works better in the shade.
Unfortunately no. I need too start [beeep]. I'm going to try the
Trophy Grade at some point and check the speed on those.
I am saving my brass [beeep]😋😋
You know I was just looking on midway's website and that trophy grade and it is rated at 3350 feet per second..... I haven't shot any of that for a while and it shoots the same point of impact as my 33 cfe223 loads but I thought it chronograph at 3500 out of my 22 in White Oak Barrel..... I could be completely wrong though as it's been awhile since I Chronograped it.

Last edited:
Back