New 223 and in need of scope

jbo225

My wife recently bought me a bolt 223 and now in need of a scope. I've been looking at either the Nikon Prostaff or the Vortex Crossfire II. Will be used in day and night

I have a VX2 3-9x40 with the German #4 reticle on my Model 7 223. They don't make this model anymore but its about a perfect setup for my predator calling needs.

I would never buy a scope by caliber. I base my scope purchases on usage.

Called predators under 300 yards a lower powered scope with a lot of FOV is my choice, you can pretty much hold on fur for every shot so things like turrets and busy reticles aren't necessary. More FOV will give you faster target acquisition and ability to track a moving critter through the brush and trees. For this kink of work I like to see a scope with at least 40' of FOV on the bottom end and I always keep my scopes on the bottom number while hunting. I've found that if you need more X's for the shot there is usually time to turn the scope up, when you need the large FOV there is no time to turn it down. I find 1-4 and 1.5-6 scopes work well for me, 2-7 and 2/2.5-10 scopes fit in here also. I feel very claustrophobic with 3x on the bottom end.

For open country where a number of shots are going to be over 300 yards, ballistic reticles and turrets come into play. Again I like a lot of FOV on the bottom, how many times has one shown up from the wrong direction at 20 yards and your looking out across the prairie for one. Here is where a 2/2.5-10 scope comes in handy kept on the bottom setting until you need the extra X's. Here one of the 3-15 scopes shine.

Good luck in your choices.

I don't think I can remember ever being under scoped but I know I've been over scoped more than once.

To answer your question go with the Vortex. Either one will be a good scope but my preference is towards Vortex and out of there Crossfire models they do have some with an illuminated reticle if that interests you. As AWS said choose the scope on how your going to use it. Best thing to do is go to a store and look through them. For the caliber and your location the 2-7x32 might be a well rounded choice.

Nice discussion. I just acquired a CZ 527 in .223 and am also trying to decide the "best" glass. This info has helped tremendously.

Does Vortex manufacture its scopes in the Philippines? That might be handy info to know for factory repair purposes.

Originally Posted By: EMP3Does Vortex manufacture its scopes in the Philippines? That might be handy info to know for factory repair purposes.

Some of their scopes, like their mid level stuff, is made in the Philippines, but their Razor line of scopes are Japanese. Not sure where there entry level stuff is made, China maybe.

Originally Posted By: bosshoffIf Doug is helping you, then I have nothing to add other that CameralandNY is awesome.
X2. I picked up and 8-34x56 argos from him a while back for a howa 204 ruger (mainly pdog gun) and couldnt be happier. Tracked awesome and held sub 1/2” groups.

For an ar platform, i like the idea of a standard mounted scope along with a reflex (red dot) sight on a 45* mount. I got to fondle one at a lgs back home and it was actually pretty comfortable to shoulder aiming the reflex sight. Use it for anything that comes in close and hot, and i would go to a 2-3 power low end X 10-12 high end scope. I would see if theres any way you could try this out before buying though, as im sure its not going to be everyones fav!

Ed: Disregard. Ive been reading too much forum stuff. Got posts crossed. You obviously arent hooking up an ar platform!

Last edited:
I love vortex optics. I have run their binos as well as a few of their scopes. I also would take a look at nikon. They have the new black series if you would want to dial. As for the vortex I'm not a fan of the crossfire but the Diamondbacks are awesome for the price. You should be able to find a good deal this black Friday.

Happy Thanksgiving, jbo225,

If you haven't bought a scope yet, www.opticsplanet.com has this offer: https://www.opticsplanet.com/s/scope-sale

It also has this offer: https://www.opticsplanet.com/g-spcema-12-off175-112118.html

And this: https://www.opticsplanet.com/u-specma-private-black-friday-riflescopes1118.html

I saw a lot of Vortex scopes on sale. Vortex has a devoted following. I cannot remember reading anything negative about Vortex. My only concern would be whether they have to be shipped out of country for repair. If reasonable repair turn around was assured, I'd buy Vortex.

I'm not plugging Optics Planet. However, it has always treated me fairly. It tries to price match. Their sales people have always been honest with me. If OP can't beat a price, its sales people will tell you the truth. I've been given price match and then discount offered. I've bought a lot of stuff from OP, and I've always have been happy.

When I find something I want to buy, I'll call an OP sales rep and ask for its lowest price. Its sales people haven't tried to hoodwink me. I usually get a reply like this, "I can sell you the scope you want of XYZ." XYZ price has always been lower than 'net price.

www.eurooptic.com is another excellent vendor. It also has a sale. Also, if you visit EO's site, check its demo/open box sales & its clearance section. EO will price match.

Both vendors have excellent customer service. I haven't had to return anything from either, but my guess is a no-hassle return policy.

I wish you the absolute best. I hope you find the perfect scope for your rifle at the absolute best price.

You do not really give details on your usage or if the gun is a sporter or heavy barrel.

If a sporter and for hunting, the SWFA 2.5-10x32 ultralight is on sale today for like 259. Not sure if this one also comes with the free rings etc like the SS. At that price I would certainly give it a go.

Listen to AWS. He influenced me when i started out to try a low power scope. I ran a 1.5-5 for a long time and loved it. Overall, 2-7 or 2.5-10 are my favorite, but I only use the higher end for jack rabbits and sighting in.

I personally would not buy a vortex. Even if you gave me a vortex I would sell it and buy something else. What they have is good advertising.

The Vortex optics have an excellent warranty. Leupold has its good points and bad the are easy to get behind and use. I'm a fan of Trijicon's illuminated post reticle but they are spendy. most guys try to put too high a magnification optic on their rifle which may be fine for the bench but not a good choice in a hunting application. be aware of how the size of the objective relates to how bright the image looks a 6x42 scope is very bright in low light 42 divided by 6 = 7mm exit eye pupil that is as bright as you are likely to be able to use. So if by some chance you have a 3-9x42 then when it gets dark dial the scope down to 6x or lower to brighten the image. similarly a 50 mm objective will be max brightness at 7x but the bigger the scope the less user friendly it is in the field due to size and weight. I would look at 2-7x and 1-4 or 1-6x scopes and hunt that probably not over a 3-9. One can custom order Leupold Custom shop scopes with different reticles or target type knobs etc so a guy could have say a VX3 with a balistic reticle or target knobs. The down side to balistic reticles is they only are true at the maximum power of the scope with a 2nd focal plane scope. One can use a Mil Dot based reticle for range finding and for know hold over by running a balistic chart in MIL to know what the mil dots correspond to for their particular bullet and caliber. Some tactical scopes are 1st focal plane so the reticle is true at all powers of the scope. good luck

In referance to a Leupold VX 3i .. I can for sure give it very favorable recomendation. I have a couple of them mounted in the gun safe.
One on a Rem BDL 300 Rum and the other on my pretty rare M-70 Mannlicher in 30-06.
Having 7 Leupolds mounted in the safe from 1.5x5 thru 6.5x20 , those 3.5x10 VX3i's have quickly became my favorites... They do it all for me.

BTW, I do have one AR "Saint" wearing a Vortex Strike Eagle 1x8 and IMO, it's glass comes no where close to even a VX 1 Leupold in clearity and quality. ...
Gene

Last edited:
Back