Season start

Snowshoes

October 26 2018,Well today was the start of another coyote season. Pre-plans of this mornings hunt had run through my head numerous times and even continued well into my sleep. No matter the wind direction, I had a spot in mind.
I knew today’s hunt was going to be short due to a trip to the city was also in the plans, so time would only allow for one set.
I was awake long before the alarm went off and found getting out of bed today was much easier than on work days. My weather station showed, 30 F and a 4 mph breeze out of the west. A set of corrals in the creek valley is now where I planned to go. Left the yard in a blanket of darkness, and as I drove south down the gravel road, I passed through numerous ribbons of fog. Unsettling thoughts of heavy fog in the valley were put to rest after crossing the bridge under clear skies. A few minutes later I was back at the valley but a mile further east, parked behind a clump of trees and soon walking down the same old trail to the corrals that I have done so many times before.
Night skies were slowly diminishing and the easterly horizon now had a warming orange glow to it.
White flashes to the north, indicated I interrupted a couple white tail deer who had been feeding on a small spot of lush green grass. Other than the “white flags” the deer quickly disappeared into their surroundings.
The valley floor grasses were covered with a heavy layer of frost and there was a look of peacefulness to the whole area.
Set up in a past proven shooting spot at the corrals and now to wait for legal shooting light. Numerous glances at my watch over what seemed like a long period, finally showed, it was time!
Start off with a couple howls, which gets a couple mule deer out of their beds who were hid in the nearby buck brush. Looking a little annoyed at the yappy corral coyote, they slowly made their way into the hills to the north. A few minutes pass before I let out a couple more howls. No responses to the howls, so it was time to tell the countryside I just chased down and caught a jackrabbit. Two Ravens, followed by 3 magpies came to investigate but no four legged critters. A few minute pass before letting the neighborhood know I also caught a cottontail rabbit. A dozen horses crest a knoll on the adjoining pastureland to the northwest.
The horses gaze my way for a bit but soon lose interest and move on. The string of horses head back the way they came and soon were lost to the hill and trees. I go back to calling with my cow horn howler but now with yelps. A couple series of yelps doesn’t perk any interest and I reluctantly call defeat. Pull off the face mask and slowly stand up while scanning the landscape one last time. Much to my surprise, I see a coyote sitting on a knoll to the southwest. Not sure how long this coyote had been there but from where I sat, I couldn’t see it. The sun was in the coyotes eyes so I figured I could scoot sideways far enough to clear my view from the corral panels without being detected. I moved north a few feet and the coyote stayed sitting so I still had a chance. Ranged the coyote twice and got readings of 299 and 301 yards.
Checked my chart and adjusted the scopes elevation turret accordingly for 300 yards. Zoomed the scope up to 22X and realized I had to settle down my excitement as each heart beat was taking the crosshairs right off the coyote. A deep breath followed with a light touch of the trigger sends a wave of thunder down the valley. The scope jumps off the coyote but I hear a solid “whoomp” which is music to a coyote hunters ears. I see the coyote is laying flat out and watch it for a few seconds. Confident the coyote is down for the count, I go back to getting my gear packed into the backpack. A quick look at coyote before putting on the backpack confirms its still laying in the same spot. Toss the stadium seat over my shoulder and go to grab my rifle when I catch movement to the southwest. I can’t believe it but the coyote is now standing up and then does a 10 foot wobbly side step before falling down again. I try to get set up for a second shot but the coyote manages to get to its feet and heads straight into a clump of buck brush on the hilltop. I never get the crosshairs on it.
Not to discouraged yet, as I expect to find the coyote somewhere on the other side of the hill. Sun at my back, wind in my face, and a hill to cover my approach had all the advantages in my favor...... or so I thought.
Crested the hill and no coyote to be seen. Found tufts of fur and a small patch of blood on the grass but no coyote in the light buck brush. Checked multiple patches of brush and a small ravine but found no signs of the coyote. Not sure where it got to but a 35 minute search was of no help. I hate losing a coyote and its times like this, I wish there was snow on the ground for tracking.
It was a disappointing end to what started out to be such a great morning. There was so many places the coyote could have ventured but unfortunately the hill hid the coyotes secrets from my eyes.
May tomorrow be a better day.

October 27 2018
34 F and a light westerly breeze made for another fine morning as I walked to my first stand of the morning. Parked the truck behind a large hill, then a quarter mile walk across pastureland to a fence line where I would call from. Set up and went through the coyote collecting routine of calls but only magpies payed me visits. The bush patch in the center of the picture has produced a fair number of coyote in years past but today it seemed to be only occupied by my black & white feathered friends.

On the walk back to the truck I see something to the east of the truck that looks like it could be a coyote. The new Swarovski Rangefinder binoculars make a positive Coyote ID but there was no way of getting close enough for a shot. I range the coyote at 759 yards just for the heck of it but too far of a shot for this old coyote hunter.
Drive back to the hi-way and then a mile east before turning south towards a large bush patch which has produced some coyotes in the past.
Park on the east side of the bush and from there walked west to a slough bottom in a field to the south of the bush. A slow careful walk through the canola stubble as to not alert any keen ears that might be close by.
Set up in some tall grass and took a few ranges before commence calling.

Start off with howls using a diaphragm coyote reed/call that I purchased last year. Years back, I used a diaphragm reed for bugling elk but this was a first for coyotes. A couple howls were followed a few minutes later with some cottontail distress from a Sceery closed reed. After three or so minutes, that bunny got its second wind and let out a few more cries which brought a big male coyote to the edge of trees, A 79 yard shot has him on the ground.

After the shot I catch movement to the northwest which turned out to be another coyote. A 108 shot has this female down for the count.

The female coyote in the canola stubble blended in so well, I may not have noticed her if she hadn’t moved.

October 28 2018,
My son and family drove up yesterday afternoon and we hoped to get out to do some long range shooting before supper but 30 mph winds put a halt on those plans.
The wind was to die down overnight and the grandson was excited about the morning hunt. The chance to use his 204 to take a coyote was on his priority list.
A southeast breeze this morning would send us to a couple proven spots and our main goal was let the young lad have a chance at harvesting a coyote.
The first spot we “the three generations” went to, was a ravine that has produced coyotes in past years. My son packed no rifle but stayed with the grandson as his mentor. The two of them found a spot in among some tall weeds a third way down the ravine. I stayed higher up and was to do the calling. I had my 223AI with (just in case) but never really planned on using it. Some glassing shows a small group of mule to the east and a 150” class white tail buck to the west.
I started off with a couple howls which sent both mule and the white tail to the trees.
Went through the usual call sequences but it wasn’t till the finale of pup yelps that I see a pair of coyotes coming across the wheat field. I get my sons attention and indicate “Two” and show the direction. The grandson is directed to change his shooting position angle. They are too low down to see the coyotes but normally the coyotes drop down into the ravine on their approach, so I still had high hopes. Things seemed to be coming together but right then the breeze changed to a very strong wind which stopped the coyotes in their tracks. The few remaining leaves on the trees were now drifting through the air and you could hear trees creaking below and across form us. The two coyotes worked their way to a hill top and seemed content to sit down and watch from afar. Try as I might, I couldn’t get them to come any closer. We were playing this game in their turf and they definitely had the home team advantage. No way for us to get closer, so I opted to try a shot. A 387 yard shots on a windy day is not something I excel in and I didn’t up my averages today either.
On the way back to the truck the grandson was telling about the white tail buck he saw and all the mule deer plus as a bonus, he found a shed antler. Not seeing the coyotes didn’t seem to even bother him.
Here is the 12 year old grandson on his way back to the truck.

After some thought, we head for an area that would have us sheltered from the high winds. Not ideal coyote hunting conditions but the grandson was willing to try. We were somewhat sheltered by the trees to the south but not as much as I hoped. The wind was swaying the trees and I wondered what were we really doing here.
Once again the coyotes did not respond and after 15 minutes of unsuccessful calling, My two hunting partners walked over to where I was located. I stood up only to notice a coyote to the northwest of us. This coyote had came across the canola field and was heading our direction but now he had us pegged. Didn’t take long for the coyote to lope to the east to catch our scent and was gone. My grandson looked at me and said “ we will get him next time Grandpa”, followed with, I’m kinda cold and hungry, can we go home now for breakfast.
smile.gif

HOMAnimated-S.gif

Last edited:
Welcome back Snowshoes from a summer off from hunting. As always great story and pictures. Glad to hear there are 3 generation of hunters. Sounds like Jr. not going to get much shooting this year. And grandpa has more teaching to do. It's all great.

Originally Posted By: 375 H&HNice Job! Great photo's and write up. Good on you for getting them all out at once. Memories being made for sure. Thank you, Its always fun to get together. We hope to get out a few times this winter.

Originally Posted By: Displayed NameGreat to see the new season start with another generation tagging along too.

He was tagging along with his dad today deer hunting ( had the day off school). I was informed the grandson was right in there helping gut and skin the deer that my son shot this morning.

Originally Posted By: LittleAndyNice write up snowshoes. I always love reading your posts! Thank you, I appreciate that

Originally Posted By: lockrotorWelcome back Snowshoes from a summer off from hunting. As always great story and pictures. Glad to hear there are 3 generation of hunters. Sounds like Jr. not going to get much shooting this year. And grandpa has more teaching to do. It's all great.
Its good to be back lol, Work this fall was so hectic with all the early snows we had, I was wondering if I would even get out till mid November.

Hey SS, nice to see you back with another season with great write ups and photos. Always love photos lol

Read in one of your posts about how you had wind in your face. Have you ever thought about getting some good ski goggles? Ive always had problems with my eyes watering when the wind was in my face and a couple years ago I got some and now I cant recommend them enough. FIrst set I got was a cheap set that fogged up alot if I didnt watch what I was doing, but this year I got a new more expensive set with the removable dual lens that I cant wait to try out. Oh and I really like orange lens too. Makes everything more clearer and pop out, specially on gloomy days. Thought I would pass that along.
smile.gif

Now bring on the big white fluffy yotes
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: titch--Hey SS, nice to see you back with another season with great write ups and photos. Always love photos lol

Read in one of your posts about how you had wind in your face. Have you ever thought about getting some good ski goggles? Ive always had problems with my eyes watering when the wind was in my face and a couple years ago I got some and now I cant recommend them enough. FIrst set I got was a cheap set that fogged up alot if I didnt watch what I was doing, but this year I got a new more expensive set with the removable dual lens that I cant wait to try out. Oh and I really like orange lens too. Makes everything more clearer and pop out, specially on gloomy days. Thought I would pass that along.
smile.gif

Now bring on the big white fluffy yotes
laugh.gif

Thank you titch for the comments and the info. on the goggles. I did try goggles on one very-very cold windy morning a couple years back. They weren't too bad for fogging up and did save the eyes on that -47F windchill morning. I would just lift them up when I wanted to use the binoculars. I found I couldn't turn the focus knob on the binoculars anyways,so the bino's weren't of much use.
It was too cold to be out but my son and I went anyways. Never shot any coyotes that morning but my eyes did appreciate the protection.
Thank you for the reminder, I should have used them the last outing when the snow was stinging my eyes.

Back