Caldwell chronograph and screwy numbers anyone else?

varminter .223

Friday I put on the 22 inch 12 twist Swift Barrel that came out of the classifieds here last week. I shot one of my existing loads of 37 IMR 4064 and Nosler 55 grain shots.
1. 3578
2. 3560
3. 3568
4. 3565
5. 3562
The gun likes these loads and will stay under an inch for five shots and a half inch for three shots so I think I'll just stick with this load but I decided to make a small scope adjustment so I checked 3 more.
I turned the chronograph off in between groups and I'm just curious if anyone one else has got some screwball numbers with these cheap chronographs. According to Nosler load data group 1 velocities are just what they should be.
I should mention that I shot a third group as well and I forgot to check the speed on the first two but the last one was 3502 and I did cycle the chronograph on and off before that group.

Last edited:
I occassionally get screwy numbers over my PACT chronograph when one skyscreen is lit differently than the other, like when one end is under the overhang at my club. Perhaps the lighting changed?

Had the same thing happen before. They aren't very reliable speeds tend to change with the light. When I do use one now it's just to get an idea of the velocity then a I go out and figure my drops at different distances with the shooter app as long as the scope has target turrets.
For a rifle I'm not going to dial I don't think velocity matters much just figure out a load it likes and go with it.

I use the IR light kit screens(Caldwell) on my Beta Master with the lighting error stuff dealt with. Also, I bring a small set of magnetic bubble levels with me to get the screens tilted at the same angle as the bore. This has the tightened up the ES and SD numbers, nary an error and we get numbers that have proven out long range. The weather man can throw a curve in the field, but chrono data that gives you a good starting point sure helps.

Back