Just ordered a Athlon Argos 2-10x40mm Center-X

AWS

Retired PM Staff
This scope came up in thread a few weeks ago and it looked like a great calling scope. I said I'd order one once I got settled in my new digs. I checked on it because of the Veterans Day Sale, well they had them at Half price $129. Couldn't resist.

With nearly a 50' FOV at 2x and 10x on the high end it is coming close to my favorite 1.5x6 for FOV and more power on the top end.

I'll review it after I have some time in the field with it.

past thread

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...0290&page=1

Just got it mounted last night and my initial impressions.

Pro's

Very clear I can read the street names on the pole a couple hundred yards away
Great eye relief
Impressive FOV

Cons

Almost to much eye relief as I had to use higher rings so the power adjustment ring and ocular housing would clear the base and move the scope all the way forward. When I get set up here I will grind out a base to clear for clearance and use lower rings. Right now I just put a spacer on the comb of the stock for a good cheek weld. After looking at it a little more I might have to make an extended base for it to gain another 1/4". I need to shoot a youth sized stock for my arm reach but it does tend to put my face too close to the scope. I have it mounted on a Weatherby Youth Vanguard in 223.

Last edited:
I've looked at them but they are all quite high and I like a scope as low as possible so I don't have to build up the comb so much. I'm pretty sure if I can lower the back of the original base to clear the power adjustment ring I can use lower narrower rings and get it pretty close. If not they say a Rem 700 base will fit this rifle but I don't know if the one piece will, I can always cut a one piece up and make an extended rear base and cut a new cross slot to move the rear ring forward. I dug through my ring box and found a narrower set and was able to pick up another 1/4". With the base lowered and narrow rings I should be able to get where I want it. I just need to get my shop set up in my new digs(at least 3 months away as allot of my stuff is still in WA.

We got it sighted in on Friday and went out today for a little hunting here in southern CO. We were on a pretty rickety bench so I didn't try and do a box test on it but will in the future.

Sunday morning.

I do like the scope,

We got down in the cottonwood bottoms and I called in a triple killed one coyote on 2x at 40 yards but it was too thick to get on another. It was just a small area so we went up to the ranch house and there were a couple P-dog out in the pasture and one just had his head sticking up over the mound, I turned it up to 10x and wacked him in the head at 156 yards. I tried for another at 186 but the wind pushed the little 45's just a hair to the left.

Fun morning, and a great little scope.

Last edited:
I agree, I would like to see this scope with low capped turrets, with the duplex ret. it would be an awesome calling scope to 300+ yards. Set it and forget it, just hold on fur, nothing to putz with. Too bad they'd only sell about 6 of them set up that way, every one wants to be a sniper today.

My nephew liked the scope so much he ordered a 3-15x40 for his AR PD gun, He had to have all the do-dads.

I haven't done a sxs test but the glass seems every bit as clear as my Elite 4200's and VX-2's and nicer than my Vortex Vipers.

AWS, that’s good to know. On a side note aren’t you from Washington state? I seem to recall you talking about chasing totes here on the Eastside and doing quite good at it.

I was in the NW for 30 yrs and just bought a home here in NM. The WA politics and the Coastal weather was starting to wear on our old bodies. I had allot of fun hunting coyotes in WA and since I retired 10 yrs ago I've been hitting the coyotes in a bunch of different states. So far this year I've killed coyotes in WA, NM, NV and CO. I took two fellows out in NV in sept and put them on their first coyotes, the next day they both got their first doubles one with me and the other with some other hunters.

I found a nice little place in the middle of coyote heaven and everything else I like to hunt just out the back door nearly, with coyotes, javalina, bobcat and fox running between me and the neighbors. Everything is much cheaper here and the people are wonderful, we have made more friends in a couple months here than we did in WA in 30 yrs.

Have a good winter chasing dogs, they are bigger there and have really nice coats.

We’ll good luck to you down there. I grew up near the Texas -New Mexico border did a lot of running around in Gaines and Dawson counties so I know it’s a target rich environment that you will really enjoy . I know I miss it sometimes.

FYI anything that fits the Rem 700 will fit the Vanguard, they have the same mounting holes. How would a one piece Weaver base work? They aren't very thick.

The hole spacing on the Weaver one piece is not correct. I went into a shop and tried them, the two piece works fine. I just might get a Weaver and redrill the holes, or cut it and make a longer rear base.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I just ordered my second Althon scope, I have an ares btr that I am really impressed with so after seeing the prices camera land has on the Midas 2.5-15's I couldn't resist. More people need to find out about and try these scopes,

Back