Wolves, again

xj-jake

For all you Mn hunters, I was chatting with a friend at the kids basketball game tonight. He knows I predator hunt, pipes up and says that the guy in the next office at work has trail cam pics of multiple wolves between St. Cloud and Holdingford. Multiple wolves meaning in the same frame vs different single photos. I hope to have him send them to me tomorrow, if he does I'll try to post them.

They're everywhere. I know a couple guys getting picture after picture on the east side of Mille Lacs, my dad is up there rifle hunting as we speak, the week before opener they saw a pair as they were setting up tree stands. I called in a pair north of Kimball last year and ran across a few pairs of tracks just west of Monticello. A customer of mine showed me a wolf picture from a trail cam he set over a dead calf near Clearwater last year. My buddy lives between Big Lake and Elk River, a few miles south of Sand Dunes state forest and we hear them howling every once in a while nearly in the suburbs. I just talked to a buddy this morning about the wolves, he said a friend of his hears them around Zimmerman all the time.

It's a crap show, the north 2/3 of the state is full of them, maybe not the far west nearest the Dakotas, I dont get over there often.

I remember you saying you saw them by kimball last year, the same week you said that my realtor called and said they spotted one south of Watkins.

Reading through some of these old posts, was wondering if there has been anymore wolf sightings in this area. I live in Litchfield and I haven't heard of any talk lately.

I'm in Litchfield as well. I spoke with a guy on the radio last week (I'm a ham radio operator) his son trapped one near Clearwater and it got out, actually did see it in the trap though. My in laws are up near manannah and have seen tracks since the middle of December. We should hook up and compare notes sometime, shoot me a pm if interested.

No sign around the Monticello area yet but I haven't been out hunting much. I plan on being out a good amount this month though, hopefully I have no wolf action though.

I came across these tracks this morning, they are clearly a few days old and this nasty warm weather has degraded them and did melt the edges making them look larger. No way I can say if they are wolf but they looked nothing like the nearly dozen old coyote tracks I saw nearby. This was on public land, they could be dog tracks but there were no human tracks anywhere nearby and they were traveling in a straight line for as far as I could see on the edge of a lake.

45723661665_2cd4b5910f_c.jpg

Back