What AR10 lowers will work on my AR stoner 243 upper?

Dultimatpredator

I've only owned two ARs, both 15's. I bushmaster targeter varminter and a POF P415. Both bought as a complete rifle. I changed out the triggers on them and have disassembled them for cleaning so I feel confident in assembling a lower for the upper I ordered yesterday.

I've been wanting a 243 AR for about 20 years and got talked into the POF P415 instead. Glad I did, great rifle. I almost bought the 243 version but heard direct from the manufacture they had a lot of feeding issues so I passed on it. I've been after the Dpms/ Remington version for years but just didn't pull the triggers on the $1200 rifle.

A poster linked me an a Stoner 243 22" upper on sale at midway USA for $449 after I was looking a listing for a $335 bear creek upper with a shorter barrel and faster twist. I read a lot of bad reviews which steered me away. The midway upper has a slower 1/9 twist which is close to my 700 VLS twist of 1 in 9 1/8. My Remington will shoot one hole groups with 70 gr NBT and The lighter 55 gr bullets which is what I wanted to run through the AR for a coyote lazer.

My question is what AR10 lowers fit the best with a Stoner AR10 upper? I've read some off brand uppers don't fit correctly or won't work. I'm kinda confused, I thought all ar10 uppers and lowers work together? Someone feel free to give me an education on my journey.

Anyone have links to some really good deals on lowers that will work for this upper? I don't need a trigger group as I plan on putting in a 3 lb timney or like the one I installed in my POF or something similar.

I've seen lowers anywhere from $50 on up. I just want to buy one that fits and try and budget up to the $150/200 mark complete when set and done. Cheaper if possible. I would assume a lower is a lower...they are just a hollow piece of metal that costs about a quarter to make and gets marked up?

Last edited:
IM guessing the Areo or DPMS lowers are the two top choices? If anyone has an extra AR10 lower for sale feel free to PM me. I would assume polymer and graphite will not hold up like an alloy receiver and probably flex. I did see the second gen Dpms receivers are made different, smaller ar 15 style to save weight.

It doesn't look like there is any writing on the upper so what over lower I put on it will look like it matches.

Last edited:
I've heard good things about aero but they are not the only name in town. I believe mega arms and cmmg also make gen 1 lowers but I think they are more expensive. I'm sure you could dig around online and find others as well. I have no experience with polymer and graphite lowers but long term I wouldn't see them holding up as well as metal either.

Dose stoner make a 308 lower? I saw every other caliber offered accept for a 308 on their sight. I founds Areo 308 lowers for $99. Looks like a stripped DPMS is around $250

Last edited:
I think the "stoner" brand is midway's house brand so if you don't see a lower there you're probably not going to find one. A stripped 308 lower for $99 is a good deal in my book. Don't know if any site would be having black Friday sales to where you could find one cheaper or not.

It is a "LR-308" DPMS lower Gen 1.
I bought a Stoner 300 BO side charger from MidwayUSA Shoots very nice.
I like the side charger. It is very simple.
I bought a DPMS lower from Brownell for $125.

Upper arrived today by ups ground. The box was bent in the middle two tares in the bottom the size of my finger and a tare in the top of the box with the bird cage sticking out! I called midway and was told this happens a lot by a new employee. I had some songs on the bird cage and on the m lock receiver with bluing missing. Pretty bummed. I printed up a return label and sent it back for a replacement. I asked it the replacement would be packed better since the eight pound upper was lightly wrapped in foam type paper and the box was 6" longer than the upper turning it into a sale hammer. I was told they would make notes to pack it better but couldn't guarantee it? All in all besides the damage it looked awesome! It's definitely a good quality upper.

Last edited:
Back