What LR308 lower should I buy?

Dultimatpredator

Are 308 lowers all created equal? I need a DPMS style. Never bought a stripped lower before. It seems like they are all the same to me. Just a fifty cent piece of cast alloy with a serial number stamped on it. Anyone have experience with some of the aftermarket 308 lowers that could provide any suggestions?

I strongly suggest you stick to one mfg. for the following parts when building: Upper, Lower, and BCG. There seems to be more problems with function when those parts are mix-matched, or so it seems.

The large frame AR's are not as standard/interchangeable per se as the AR15... this you may already know.

I've had great success with Aero M5 as a base for five builds. Very minor tweaking mostly concerning broken bolt catches... I've switched to DPMS LR-308 bolt catches with no more issues.

Plenty of choices for barrels and handguards... but the main parts will best serve you if they are all from the same mfg. I like Ballistic Advantage barrels with their MOA guarantee and SLR Rifleworks handguards and adj. gas blocks.

Originally Posted By: Dultimatpredator... I need a DPMS style. ...
You know what you need, just ensure the parts state that or confirm it through the manuf.
I have 3 different uppers, 2 BCGs and one DPMS (bushmaster) lower, they all work fine with the lower.

I bought a AR-stoner from midway chambered in 243. Stoner apparently doesn't make 308 lowers for some goofy reason or I'd buy a matching lower. I'm pretty sure I have my mind set on an Aero prescion if no one gives me a better suggestion.

Last edited:
IIRC you said you found an Aero for $99? That's how I'd go for sure. Nice looking lowers compared to the clunky dpms original ones.

Well, $99 plus $10 to ship and a $20 ffl fee so $120. Buffer tube is around $60 shipped and $40 for a parts kit w/o a trigger or pistol hand grip. By the time it all adds up I think i might be better off buying a complete assembled lower. I found assembled ones on GB for $225 w/o a stock and $250 with. I plan on installing a timney and a str stock so the trigger I won't need but it seems cheaper to buy the lower assembled for some reason vs buying the parts seperate. Is this common? I did find a palmeto state armory complete lower for $179...but I think I'm going to steer clear of them.

Last edited:
Nice call, I'd only use a PSA lower with a PSA upper. Not uncommon at all to find a complete lower cheaper than piecing it all together yourself. Personally, I'd wait a few weeks before buying anything and see what kind of black Friday deals can be had. It's still a buyer's market so I'm thinking there could be some nice deals this year-I may be browsing an aero 308 or 6.5 cred upper

Last edited:
Browse all the websites you've seen that carry aero lowers. Don't forget to look at the manufacturer's website as well. No way to tell who will have the best deal, just have to look around.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorAny suggestions on what sites to look for Black Friday deals?

https://www.schuylerarmsco.com/

Schuyler Arms has great prices on Aero stuff. Go to the Mfg. tab and select Aero to see what is in stock. If you can see it, it can be ordered.

Check back often as he updates the site regularly. I want to say M5 lowers were $90 or so last time they were in stock.

Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorAre 308 lowers all created equal? I need a DPMS style. Never bought a stripped lower before. It seems like they are all the same to me. Just a fifty cent piece of cast alloy with a serial number stamped on it. Anyone have experience with some of the aftermarket 308 lowers that could provide any suggestions?

There were really two differing designs in the bigger caliber, .308 chassis, due to the length of the BCG. The first was the AR-10, which uses a standard buffer and a modified buffer tube. This created a problem with interchangeability between AR-15 and AR-10 components sine you had to have a unique butt stock design.

The other design was DPMS LR-308 which uses standard buffer tubes and stocks, but must use a different buffer. This allowed builders more freedom in choosing buttstocks and more parts interchangeability.

Most manufacturers today are building off the LR-308 platform. That being said, most of the billet lowers are interchangeable with the billet uppers and many of the forged uppers. Be careful, there are a few of the DPMS "high rise" style of uppers out there, that have an elevated rail, as well as a few hand guard mfg's.

Forged lowers should work with the forged uppers, but crossing that over with billet might be hit or miss since mfg's can specify more features on billets than with forged lowers.

I called gander, they said I could order a complete assembled Aero lower with a rifle buffer minus the stock...which I need since the barrel is 22" for $200. I just wished someone had purchased one of these to tell me if the stoner will fit flush. I just don't want to see daylight between the upper and lower mating surfaces. Stoner dose t make a lower so I'll have to take my chances. In the reviews only one Person posted what lower they tried...a Dpms oracle lower and had a tight fit. My upper comes tomorrow so I can at least see and inspect it to make sure I want to go further in my project.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DultimatpredatorI called gander, they said I could order a complete assembled Aero lower with a rifle buffer minus the stock...which I need since the barrel is 22" for $200. I just wished someone had purchased one of these to tell me if the stoner will fit flush. I just don't want to see daylight between the upper and lower mating surfaces. Stoner dose t make a lower so I'll have to take my chances. In the reviews only one Person posted what lower they tried...a Dpms oracle lower and had a tight fit. My upper comes tomorrow so I can at least see and inspect it to make sure I want to go further in my project.

Call Larry at MidwayUSA and ask him.

I had to email him twice today. No response either time. First one was on lower compatibility, the second email was on the upper I received with the birdcage sticking out the side of the box!c I returned it for an exchange after talking with customer service. It was packed loosely in a box that was 6" longer than the upper. The box kinda looked like an accordion in the middle and a tare in n each side of the bottom as well from the lower receiver banging around. The bird cage and hand guard had some road rash. All in all its an awesome looking upper minus the damage. I'm soooo bummed it came damaged.

Last edited:
No answer back from Larry. I called today and ordered another with the free shipping coupon and told them to refund my money and shipping charges on the other one. The rep I talked to seemed to know his stuff...first one out of three I talked with. He told me he was pretty sure that Areo lowers were manufactured to the same specs as Dpms so they both should fit about the same....good, tight, and flush. He had a few builds he did with the Areos himself and said they were great looking lowers. He also like the Dpms and said their a horse apiece.

Well, the new upper is on the way home again from midway. I called gander outdoors and believe the guy I talked to screwed up and priced me a M4 ar15 complete lower. They were going to do a price check on the m5 complete upper with rifle buffer and call back. That was this morning. I'll call back. Tomorrow and talk to the original guy who was off today to see if they figured it out.

Well my replacement upper is in the mail and they must have received the other back being they have one blemish 243 upper for $474...$25 MORE than the sale price. I received some emails back that Larry was busy so some call center person returned my emails...after about 5 days. My buddy who's a smith ordered a 7.62 upper for a customer who ended not picking it up. He went to return it and midway was going to charge him a 25% restocking fee for the return! He ended up keeping it and loves it to death. Said its a tack driver and functions great.

Last edited:
Back