Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#3192968 - 02/15/19 09:56 AM Re: Temperature sensitivities for powders [Re: wileC]
Bob_Atl Online
Die Hard Member III

Loc: in the field, or not..
Originally Posted By: wileC
So I would assume the FPS numbers you get from a reloading manual would be a regulated temp of say 70 degrees?

As good an assumption as any,,, works for me.
.... rule #9 ....

#3192995 - 02/15/19 12:39 PM Re: Temperature sensitivities for powders [Re: Hcboy]
Plant.One Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Oakland County, MI
hornady doesnt list that data in their books that i can see, but i'm sure a quick note to tech support would get the info.

#3205029 - 06/01/19 04:29 PM Re: Temperature sensitivities for powders [Re: Hcboy]
Don Fischer Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Antelope, Ore
I have heard about temperature sensitive powder since I started reloading. That was about 1966! I have never run into a problem that I'm aware of with any powder. I suspect temp can make a difference but I have never noticed it. I have never loaded and worked up loads in freezing weather, I like spring weather for working up loads. I have never hunted in weather in the 90+ range either. Make's me sweat to much. I just don't see this as being the problem it's made out to be but I do guarantee you one thing. You think you need it and someone is gonna develop it for you for a price! Manufacturer's are much more tuned into what you want than what you really need!

#3205157 - 06/03/19 08:30 PM Re: Temperature sensitivities for powders [Re: Hcboy]
Hellgate Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Orygun
I worked up a load (as recommended in Bob Hagel's book on practical ballistics for the N. American Hunter) which was on the upper end of the charts. Actually, exceeding the charts and managed to blow primers and seize the bolt on a Remington 788 .223. I worked up the load in the winter and shot in July using W748 powder. I'll never do that again.

With over 15 percussion revolvers I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap & Ball

If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain

#3205161 - 06/03/19 09:15 PM Re: Temperature sensitivities for powders [Re: Don Fischer]
reb8600 Offline
Global Moderator

Loc: Morgan, Utah
Originally Posted By: Don Fischer
I have heard about temperature sensitive powder since I started reloading. That was about 1966! I have never run into a problem that I'm aware of with any powder. I suspect temp can make a difference but I have never noticed it. I have never loaded and worked up loads in freezing weather, I like spring weather for working up loads. I have never hunted in weather in the 90+ range either. Make's me sweat to much. I just don't see this as being the problem it's made out to be but I do guarantee you one thing. You think you need it and someone is gonna develop it for you for a price! Manufacturer's are much more tuned into what you want than what you really need!

So you have never worked up a load in the winter or shot in 90+ degree weather but say that temp tolerant powder is not an issue. I have done both and can tell you that some are real sensitive to temperature fluctuations.

#3211610 - 09/04/19 11:09 AM Re: Temperature sensitivities for powders [Re: Hcboy]
ackleyman Offline
PM senior

Loc: Hickville
Those of us older folks learned a long time ago that it is best to have a hot weather load and a cold weather load, and ask God for the Common sense to know the difference.

I and partners shot 748,335, Win 760, and AA2700 going from 75*-100*, but we knew how to deal with it, the bonus was long barrel life.

Old time favorites like IMR 3031,4895, 4064, 4350 all had at least a .5g pressure spike, so backing off the load a tad was always in order for red hot dog towns...literally.

So, Hellgate, you know how all of old pharts dealt with this through the years. It takes shooting a rifle in the Winter, then again in the Summer recording loads and we used an Ohler 33. The accuracy node was usually at a particular speed.

So, to make the load development easy, we backed off the COLD weather load 2.0--2.5g in hot weather and worked up. When we hit the Winter time accuracy(speed), Accuracy was back again!!! Dumb butt simple! This aint even close to rocket science.

Now, for all of those that have drank the Kool Aid that the NON temp sensitive powder are not sensitive to hot and cold weather...well, You are probably not using a chronograph and shooting very small groups.

If I were out to get a one load do all, I would go to the Enduron series of powders, and look no further. I have found that H4895, Varget, and H4350 do vary from very cold to very hot weather(32-95*) when you are looking for bug hole groups. Varget burns ungodly hot, another issue when it comes to cleaning hard cooked on carbon out of the barrel .

There is a heat index for various powders, and I hope you will take this index to heart as it is will bring front and center how a powder choice will burn up a barrel quicker/slower. Don't confuse the burning rate chart with heat index chart.

Learning to reload is a life time hobby with all of it's various tid bits of information that will add to your education of being your own
ballistician.

Edited by ackleyman (09/04/19 11:16 AM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Matt1953 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.