.450 Bushmaster build is ready!

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
In a previous discussion, I had posted up that I would keep you guys updated on a .450 Bushmaster build that I was doing for my family in Ohio. http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3168842#Post3168842

Ohio restricts deer hunters to straight walled cartridges, so my family asked if I could do an AR in a straight wall caliber that Ohio allowed. I carefully watched the regulations and the .450 Bushmaster was listed as an approved caliber. So the build was on.

We built it on our billet upper/lower combination, using an 18in stainless barrel with a 1:24 twist, we put on a muzzle brake, and a rifle buffer system on it.

Here is the completed build, with a 3-9x40mm scope, ready for the range testing.

image000001 (34) by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Not knowing what to expect from the caliber since we haven't used them, we did our homework, but it was still eye opening to get to test it out.

We were very pleased that it cycled so well. We used an adjustable gas block just to make tuning easier. We were able to get it cycling in the first 4 shots. Then we moved to some paperwork to see how accurate it was.

Here is our final "zero" target. The first shot is the farthest left. Shot #2 was farthest right, then we began walking them in from the right.

image000001 (32) by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

We were using factory Hornady ammunition.
image000001 (33) by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Here it is, ready to ship to Ohio and see about putting down some deer later this month. Hopefully we will get to share some hunt photos with it.

image000001 (31) by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

I live in Ohio also. When Bushmaster came out with the 450BM. I bought one.
That was before they sold out. I want the pistol upper.
You can use any magazine but only load 3. I use the 5 round, keep an extra one in my hunting coat.
You built a good looking rifle there. It should be great hunting this fall. I am in southwestern Ohio. I may go back to Morgan county.
I am going to change scope to an EOTech 518. Lost a nice buck last year.
I could not find him in my scope to dark, early in the morning.

q3pm4OP.jpg

Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. There are restrictions, so I got a Brenton magazine. They are out of Michigan and specialize in this caliber because of Michigan's similar restrictions. I was very impressed by the accuracy. The recoil was more than I expected even with the adjustable gas block. There are not a lot of muzzle brake options out there. There seems to be less standardization with this caliber. I was finding some mfg's offering brakes in a 5/8-24 thread, which is the same as the .30 cal stuff. The barrel I went with, GLFA, is threaded in 11/16-24. Faxon offers a 16in barrel as well as a brake in 11/16-24 but they are out of stock. So I was stuck. I will try to play around with this a bit more since now I can see the abilities the cartridge has. Seems like it would also make a nice bear hunting brush gun.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoThanks for the compliments gentlemen. There are restrictions, so I got a Brenton magazine. They are out of Michigan and specialize in this caliber because of Michigan's similar restrictions. I was very impressed by the accuracy. The recoil was more than I expected even with the adjustable gas block. There are not a lot of muzzle brake options out there. There seems to be less standardization with this caliber. I was finding some mfg's offering brakes in a 5/8-24 thread, which is the same as the .30 cal stuff. The barrel I went with, GLFA, is threaded in 11/16-24. Faxon offers a 16in barrel as well as a brake in 11/16-24 but they are out of stock. So I was stuck. I will try to play around with this a bit more since now I can see the abilities the cartridge has. Seems like it would also make a nice bear hunting brush gun.

That is why in the old days they called it "The Thumper".
Glad you are keeping the 450 BM alive.

Back