CZ 527 MTR

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: liliysdadWhat is it with the European obsession with goofy wood stocks?

If I had to answer this, I guess I would say, when Remington and Savage and several other U.S. companies start building rifles with the same quality as CZ and other Euro firearms instead of the cheap crap they produce now, maybe the obsession would slow down. When you go into a gun shop and all the rifles have cheesy plastic stocks and matte black barrels and the main difference is the name tag, a nice walnut stock rifle just kinda jumps out at you.

I own CZs and Remingtons..and I simply dont see huge quality deficit so often touted. If anything, I like my Sevens and 700s more. The 527 I do have is OK, and if it hadnt ben my fathers it likely would have went down the road by now.

Well, I don't like the stock pure and simple. I don't even need to have it in my hands to decide. Guess that's why different ones are produced - different strokes for different folks. At least we have choices.

I understand as well as anyone, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to my eyes, that is one seriously fugly looking stock. It may be comfortable in certain shooting positions but I'd have to keep my eyes closed and the lights off when I reached for it in the safe.

Think I'll just stick with the run of the mill varmint model and its basic walnut stock.

Originally Posted By: B23It may be comfortable in certain shooting positions but I'd have to keep my eyes closed and the lights off when I reached for it in the safe.

Lol, She's definitely a "butter" stock.

Originally Posted By: willy1947That's nice, I have been looking at the "Lux" for my next buy.

The Lux stock is ok if you plan on using the open sights, but
left me with a bad cheek weld using a scope. Never could get a
warm & fuzzy feeling with it and finally replaced it with a
Boyd's on my 455.

I'm apparently the odd-ball here....already have a warm & fuzzy
feeling for the stock on the MTR.
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneOriginally Posted By: willy1947That's nice, I have been looking at the "Lux" for my next buy.

Boyd's on my 455.

scared.gif

My CZ 527 had to buy a Boyds also

Ok, I looked at some pics and I see a rifle stock like a lot of people are putting on their bolt guns in plastic for big bucks but this one is wood.

I have no idea how it would fit in my hand to carry around but what I do know is that the CZ 527 American I own is sure not going anywhere. My good friend who until recently was a local tribes predator hunter feels even more strongly about his in 204 Ruger.

Him and I find the rifle a little light for throwing up on the hoods of our trucks onto a Bull X type bag and going to work on an ‘ote!

A little more wood and a bit more barrel may be just what the Doc ordered. I do not see the set trigger listed on this MTR version .... it is one of the selling points for me and my friend with our Americans. I would miss that.

Just as I am not ready to throw this CZ under anything resembling a bus just because it looks different, I have not thrown all Savages and Remingtons there either. I shy away from the newer Rems and Axis Savages as a mater of policy but I am real glad I scarfed up my used Rem 700 2004 vintage 7mm Mag because it runs like an old school Sendero with a Chevy price tag.

I have never seen where choice was bad either. You can chose “to” or “not to”. If one of these comes into view and you cannot look at it, look away, change the channel .

Three44s

Last edited:
I think they are going for ergonomics more than looks. the GRS is about the same looking as the one on the CZ only composite. There are others, names slipped me, that are really pricey. They are more for competition shooters like PRS than carrying around in the woods chasing coyotes.

I have had 2 527’s. A varmint and a carbine. Both were the m,ost accurate factory rifles I have ever seen the varmint when I first got it was an honest to goodness .5” for 5 shots rifle. Then for some reason accuracy went away and nothing I could figure out got it back or close to that level. The carbine was 5/8” for 5 shot groups. In the end I got sick of the single stack magazine which makes the gun clunky feeling also the backward safety sucks. The hs precision stock for the varmint was ordered with too short of an LOP by CZ all of them were that way.

I have one of the early varmints, and I prefer the short LOP, and the safety is a complete non issue. The magazines I dont mind a bit, and wish they made a 10rd version.

As for the accuracy...I kind of agree. Mine has never blown my socks off, but is been plenty good enough to kill stuff over the years.

Overall, they are neat guns, bit for me they really don't do anything that I wouldn't rather have a 700 of some iteration for.

I agree with lillysdad, the safety is no big issue, either on or off. I also agree the accuracy is good but never just blew me away accurate and I really didn't care that much for the set trigger. Seems in the set position I am reaching for it. Don't get me wrong, they are nice guns but I never seem to have one that doesn't eventually gets sold. But thats kinda what I do, buy one, shoot it a while and sell it.

The one I have was my father's, so its not going anywhere. My 9yr old is starting to show a little interest in calling, and it will make a dandy for him.

If it were just another gun, it would have gone down the road, likely replaced by another 700 of some sort.

I got message from a CZ guy, looks like after the shot show.
I have not found out if you have to order them there or what.
I will have friend ask at the show.

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneOriginally Posted By: willy1947That's nice, I have been looking at the "Lux" for my next buy.

Boyd's on my 455.

scared.gif

I had a "hogs back" stock on my Brno Model 2 as well. Couldn't get a decent cheek weld with a scope so got a rimfire hunter (I think) and now much happier. Still have the original stock which is lovely but I like a scope

Originally Posted By: pyscodogKinda hard to pass judgement on them until you can actually hold one in your hands but I will admit from the pictures the grip is a little over kill. I like the wider fore-end but not to sure about that grip yet. As far as carrying it, hard to say. It may or may not be that great.

Hey. psycho...........

I held one yesterday and you can have it.... egonomic and all.
laugh.gif
And yes, it is before the SHOT show, but I know where one is for evaluation purposes.

It was not designed for easy carrying in the field. Its a real clunker. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: Winny FanOriginally Posted By: pyscodogKinda hard to pass judgement on them until you can actually hold one in your hands but I will admit from the pictures the grip is a little over kill. I like the wider fore-end but not to sure about that grip yet. As far as carrying it, hard to say. It may or may not be that great.

Hey. psycho...........

I held one yesterday and you can have it.... egonomic and all.
laugh.gif
And yes, it is before the SHOT show, but I know where one is for evaluation purposes.

It was not designed for easy carrying in the field. Its a real clunker. YMMV.

I haven't held one or even seen one other than pictures. It doesn't look like it would be a carry friendly rifle though. Maybe more designed for the PRS crowd. IDK??? Doubt I will ever own one.

Back