TSS vs. Everything Else

OKRattler

So I've done quite a bit of reading and watched some videos over TSS shot. How many of you guys are using it and how does it compare to everything else on the market? Is it worth the extra money you pay for it? Has it been a game changer in the field for you or in your honest opinion is there cheaper but just as good available?

Game changer, yes, absolutely.

Worth the extra money? Ehhhh… Not at current rates, not to me. It was when I first started using it though.

No, nothing cheaper is "just as good". 18 gr/cc is undeniable. But there are cheaper options that are good enough. When TSS gets back down to less than $35 a pound again, I'll start using it again.

- DAA

Originally Posted By: DAAGame changer, yes, absolutely.

Worth the extra money? Ehhhh… Not at current rates, not to me. It was when I first started using it though.

No, nothing cheaper is "just as good". 18 gr/cc is undeniable. But there are cheaper options that are good enough. When TSS gets back down to less than $35 a pound again, I'll start using it again.

- DAA

that ^^^^^ is spot on in every way.

#2 tss for coyotes is pretty amazing.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerSo I've done quite a bit of reading and watched some videos over TSS shot. How many of you guys are using it and how does it compare to everything else on the market? Is it worth the extra money you pay for it? Has it been a game changer in the field for you or in your honest opinion is there cheaper but just as good available?

Nothing on the market compares to TSS shot and there is nothing cheaper that compares to TSS shot.

HW13 BB shot that is right at 12g/cc works very good and it costs $23.50 per pound the last TSS shot I bought was just over $45.00 per pound.

Most of the coyotes that I have shot with TSS shot, the HW13 BB shot would have killed them just as dead as the far superior TSS shot did. I don't shoot at coyotes with a shotgun at over 50 yards very often.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2806818

It is fun to reload and shoot some TSS loads because you know they are great loads. I did load up some 12 ga 3-1/2" 1-7/8 oz of TSS #2 shot that I am looking forward to using, but I don't think I will be buying anymore of it.

The below is from KPY shotshell Ballistics, this will show you the difference in penetration that you get between lead shot, HW13 shot and TSS shot.

Lead BB shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 46.1 yards with 64 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
HW13 BB shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 62.4 yards with 58 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.
TSS #3 shot at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 96.8 yards with 83 pellets in 1-1/4 oz.

The HW13 and TSS pellets are very hard so they break bones much easier and more often than lead shot does. Lead shot flattens out and deforms when it hits something. The HW13 and TSS shot will go through 1" plywood and are still perfectly round.

TSS shot is almost pure tungsten at 18g/cc. The military uses a tungsten core inside some of their tank penetrating rounds to go through the heavy armor on military vehicles.

I wouldn't mind trying them out on coyotes and hogs. Maybe sandhill crane because they're tough as heck too. But I'm also in the same boat as not shooting them much past 50 yards. I think where the TSS really shines is at a distance. I'm too much in the mind set that a shotgun is meant for up close and personal work and I don't know that the TSS would be much better for me than what lead shot has been. I'd set up for close shots even if I had it in my gun I'd imagine.

Last edited:
Where it really shines is breaking down a coyote going straight away at 45-50 yards.

- DAA

Since TSS shot is very heavy and perfectly round it patterns very tight, you may not want to use a choke tighter than Mod or Imp/Mod.

Most people that load big TSS pellets use a protective Mylar wrap inside the shot cup to help prevent the shot from damaging the barrel.

If you use TSS #4 shot for coyotes the pellet count will be pretty high so the pattern won't need to be real tight to be a dense enough pattern.

1-7/8 oz of lead number 4 buck has around 40 to 42 pellets per shell.
1-1/2 oz of TSS #4 shot has 124 pellets per shell.

With 3 times more pellets per shell the pattern doesn't need to be as tight as a load of number 4 buck.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobHW13 BB shot that is right at 12g/cc works very good and it costs $23.50 per pound the last TSS shot I bought was just over $45.00 per pound.

Zero experience with it myself but this right here says alot.

It interest's me quite a bit because in my state we're limited to #2 for cats and fox but you can use T on coyote. TSS would enable running #2 for every shell and not hesitating to rip a coyote with it at distance.

Derbyacresbob's the gold standard for shotgun load development knowledge in my book, thank you sir for your contributions to this forum.

Originally Posted By: DAAWhere it really shines is breaking down a coyote going straight away at 45-50 yards.

- DAA

This is where all the denser than lead stuff earns its way. Not in turning a shotgun into a 100 yard coyote poker, rather to turn it into a sure and reliable 50 yard killer. That whole recent 1Assassin fiasco was interesting on several fronts. One was the conversation about the range where a shotgun ruled and then where a rifle reigns supreme. Some critical thinking about that might cause a person to decide that the cost of TSS for shotgunning coyotes might not be a cost effective investment. The ranges many guys envision TSS being used at might likely be better served by a rifle.

All I can say is even though it's high dollar stuff right now is a good time for a company to come along and knock Hevi Shot out of the game. It's not like folks ain't buying the Dead Coyote shells for $40 for a box of 5. If they'll pay for that they'll pay for TSS.

Originally Posted By: OKRattlerAll I can say is even though it's high dollar stuff right now is a good time for a company to come along and knock Hevi Shot out of the game. It's not like folks ain't buying the Dead Coyote shells for $40 for a box of 5. If they'll pay for that they'll pay for TSS. Or lead T-shot. Or some other reasonably priced coyote shell.

I just started with TSS, still working on loads and buildup. Derbyacresbob has been instrumental in my understanding of the TSS world. I am still enthusiastic with the idea of #2 shot performing better than 4buck lead. The issue TSS will continue to have is the cost, it is crazy expensive and to justify the cost in my opinion is a want issue not a need issue. I look at the 5lb container I have and question my sanity for what is cost.
I think a lot of us have the "build a better mousetrap" attitude and that is what drives us. I am going to keep with it and see how it works out. For me killing coyotes with a shotgun is one of the most exhilarating experiences and I want to be able to do it better.

Last edited:
I do most of my predator calling in southeastern CA. Therefore, I am required to use notox shot on predators. Strangely enough I can use regular cup and core rifle bullets in a rifle until 2019.

Anyway.... I used 2 1/4oz nickel plated BB for 25+ years in my 10ga auto. I now use two 2 oz loads for my 10ga. Load one-2oz of #4TSS, Load Two-2oz #2TSS. The #2 patterns a little better with the choke that I am using, but the extra pellets in the #4TSS charge makes up the difference for total hits.

Sure it is expensive at $45 a pound. I get my TSS from Hal Abbot (hawglips) and am completely happy.

As I prefer calling in the heavier brush the shotgun is the perfect weapon for me. I seldom get a shot at more than 55yards. Also by being a "brush popper" I call more bobcat in than I would in a rifle environment.

Everyones money situation is different. I stopped big game hunting approx 4 years ago. That freed up a LOT of money. So the cost of the TSS shot is not an issue.

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobSince TSS shot is very heavy and perfectly round it patterns very tight, you may not want to use a choke tighter than Mod or Imp/Mod.

Most people that load big TSS pellets use a protective Mylar wrap inside the shot cup to help prevent the shot from damaging the barrel.

If you use TSS #4 shot for coyotes the pellet count will be pretty high so the pattern won't need to be real tight to be a dense enough pattern.

1-7/8 oz of lead number 4 buck has around 40 to 42 pellets per shell.
1-1/2 oz of TSS #4 shot has 124 pellets per shell.

With 3 times more pellets per shell the pattern doesn't need to be as tight as a load of number 4 buck.

I figured it maybe wouldn't be too good to shoot it through anything like a Dead Coyote choke. How big a shot will it normally handle before a guy would need to go to the Mylar wrap to keep from damaging something?

I wouldn't load any size TSS without a mylar wrap.

I haven't hesitated to put #2 through a .670 or .665 Dead Coyote choke either. The patterns are too tight using a .670 with #4 though, I prefer the .675 or even the factory full choke which is .685.

- DAA

Edit to note - my M2 really just started spraying pretty bad when I tried more open chokes than those. Can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head but it was only putting about a dozen pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with TSS #2 and a Mod or Imp Mod. With the .670 it's putting 50+ in that circle at 40.

- DAA

Here are a couple pics. TSS #2, 1-5/8 oz, 94 pellet payload, 40 yards.

Carlson Mod .705

20170526_Pattern%20Test_TSS-24W.jpg

Kicks GT .670

20170526_Pattern%20Test_TSS-30W.jpg

And too tight, with #4 TSS and Kicks .670, I wouldn't hunt with this.

20170624_TSS%204_Pattern%20Testing-3W.jpg

I like this a lot better for the 131 pellet #4 load.

20170624_TSS%204_Pattern%20Testing-6W.jpg

Open the choke up to a .705 Mod though and everything just falls apart completely. My M2 doesn't pattern any load I have ever tried worth a darn with either this Carlson .705 or the factory .705. Just sprays everything at that particular constriction.

untitled-244W.jpg

Like everyone always says, and they are always right - you HAVE to pattern your own setup. You just can't take what works for someone else and assume it's going to work for your rig. Doing this work for TSS costs a bundle, too. Last year I spent hundreds of dollars just doing pattern testing. Other people can get some ideas, see how important the testing is, but they can't just use my results or they might be bitterly disappointed.

- DAA

Back