Need drop info for Burris Eliminator 3

WVDanimal

Just mounted the Eliminator 3 on my Creedmoor but the ballistics manual they provided does not have the info for the Hornady 143 grain ELD X Precision Hunter. They state that you need the drop # for 750 yards to accurately program the data in the scope. Burris nor Hornady websites have been no help at all. I can't be the only person in the country with this scope and this ammo????? Any help appreciated, thanks!

You will need more information than you have given. Twist rate, for example can have an effect on velocity, temp, elevation, etc. You should crony to get accurate velocity. If you put bad in bad infor it wont be very accurate.

I would go to the range and zero at 100 and then shoot at 300 to 500 yards for drop, then use that and the bc of your bullet you can find velocity. If you can't match to something in the Burris chart, call Burris with the information and they will give you the solution code.

I'm at 2000ft elevation and according to Burris, that's all you need: BC, elevation and drop AT 750. The scope then calculates everything from 100 to 1200 based on the 750 base. I realize that I'll have to tweek the #'s somewhat I'm sure but it would be nice to at least have a starting point instead of burning a ton of ammo to figure it out. You'd think for $1500, Burris could provide you with the data since their cartridge list that's provided was printed in 2015 and doesn't include the ELD X for the Creedmoor. Just my luck, too much to ask lol....

I plugged the factory eldx load in my Nikon spot-on. It was -155 inch drop at 750 with100 sight in.
edit: plugged in 2000 elevation made 150.7 drop at 750
2700 FPS muzzle velocity

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WVDanimalThanks guys, I'm new to anything pertaining to long range set up as you can tell.
WVDanimal
Be sure to give a review of the Eliminator and how the ranging works out. That should be a great scope for long range. That chart number I gave you was based off of a Bc of 0.623

I talked to burris about this when I had the eliminate 3 scope. Their suggestion was to get several sheets of ply wood or large pieces of card board and make a tall target. Zero at 100 and set your tall target at 700. Shoot the tall target and measure your drop.

Posting for interest. I am considering this scope for pd hunting, if I can find a place to go (have never gone). I always hunt alone so there will no one to spot for or assist me. I looked at the scope at Cablas a couple days ago. That sucker is HUGE, but off the bench it shouldn’t matter.

I got rid of mine for 2 reasons. I was to stupid to get it programmed correctly and I never could get it to range large steel targets at distance 300+.
Sent out back to burris to have it checked out. They gave it a clean bill of health and I sent it packing.

Sounds like no fun. Not a lot of places with a 700 yard range. With the wind in the desert, good luck keeping a target that size up.

Not to mention you can do the same thing with a good rangefinder and scope, though not as quickly or conveniently. Wth the setup involved, is it any quicker or more convenient? Maybe not.

Wow! Talk about making something WAY harder than it needs to be.

First-Buy or borrow a chronograph
2nd-download the free app strelok.
3rd- input your data (velocity, BC etc.)
4th- input 750 yds hit calculate
5th- Take the inches number and enter it into the scope with your bc.

Should be real close. I've had 3 of these and all have worked great. I only own 1 at the moment but it's on my calling rifle. The glass kinda sucks on this scope so I changed out to other scopes on long range dedicated guns and hunting rifles.

The only time mine has struggled to range is when the battery got low.

Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Ha ha!! PM sent Crawler. It IS kinda hard when you're new to this and never had a need for a chronograph and not even know what the BLEEP an app is for long range shooting. I met a guy in moose camp last month in Newfoundland who had this scope on his 300 WM and he claimed that the set up worked flawless using the data in the cartridge list they provide with the scope. I just don't understand how Burris can use this as a prop to market this scope, yet the cartridge list hasn't been updated since it was printed in 2015. Not to mention, they blew me right off TWICE when I both called and emailed them. So much for "experts standing by to assist you" on their web site! First Burris purchase and they'll never get another dime from me.

BC .293 2700 fps drop at 750 yards 250" this should program right in and get you close then fine tune the velocity up or down as needed. Zero exactly on at 100 yards.

I have the Eliminator III. I first put it on my 243 and then later on my 6.5. I don't remember what number I have mine set at. In the directions it tells how to shoot at 400,500, and 600 and how to adjust for 750 yards. On both of my rifles at 500 yards it was pretty accurate. The wind really messes with the bullet when you get out to 750 yards.

The glass is not the best on these scopes, I believe they said it was LCD.

It is a big heavy scope. I don't know if it would pick up a reading on a coyote at 750 yards either.

Back