First with the new Rifle

No Off Season

Been out several times but only to sweat until this morning. Finally a cooler morning with a bit of ground fog. After several Howl's and a little bit of distress got this small female running in. Hunting partner knew I was itching for fur with the new Rifle so I got the shot. Very nice to feel very little recoil. Also got the stand figured out for the call to get it up off of the ground and above the weeds.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
I have not gotten into the reloading yet. Keep thinking I might. Probably don't shoot enough to justify it. The rifle is Olympic in 22-250, 24 ". Scope is Burris 6.5X20x50. This caliber available was what pulled me into the AR. Rifle weighs in at just under 13 lbs with attachments. I've been shooting Hornady Superformance 50 gr for coyotes and it really performs well for me. This one was hit high chest straight on and crumpled. Only drops of blood from the entrance, no exit. About 100 yards. Rifle, just like my bolt gun likes the white-box Winchester 45 gr hp and poi is same as Hornady so it's more cost effective for PD's.
Wish I had a chrono to see what the fps was compared to the selling point on the boxes.

Originally Posted By: No Off SeasonThanks guys,
I have not gotten into the reloading yet. Keep thinking I might. Probably don't shoot enough to justify it. The rifle is Olympic in 22-250, 24 ". Scope is Burris 6.5X20x50. This caliber available was what pulled me into the AR. Rifle weighs in at just under 13 lbs with attachments. I've been shooting Hornady Superformance 50 gr for coyotes and it really performs well for me. This one was hit high chest straight on and crumpled. Only drops of blood from the entrance, no exit. About 100 yards. Rifle, just like my bolt gun likes the white-box Winchester 45 gr hp and poi is same as Hornady so it's more cost effective for PD's.
Wish I had a chrono to see what the fps was compared to the selling point on the boxes.
Congrats on breaking in the new rifle! My buddy and I both have an Umar 22-250 they are a sweet coyote rifle. Over a chrono you are at 3950 with the white box Winchester ammo. The Hornady Superformance is just barely under 4000. Both are very close to advertised velocity.

Last edited:
Thanks Hippie, when I first ordered it I received the 20 " barrel. Sent it back as I wanted the 24" to get the full potential of a complete powder burn.

Even with the 20" barrel they still get around 3800 with the Superformance ammo. Mine is the 24 as well, but it is too darn long for carrying on stand with a suppressor. Someday I would like to try the 20" as that seems like a happy medium.

As you can see where my sling is mounted, I'm still adjusting trying to get the most comfortable carry. I've been wearing electronic shooting muffs, with the downside of not hearing (directional). Don't think I'll venture into the suppressor. I'm certain that is very long and even more front heavy.

Congrats on your kill-----------------45 win white box is also very accurate in my Ruger #1, 26". Barrel--no need to reload -----------svb

Last edited:
That’s awesome, I always thought an AR in 22-250 would be great.
I bought a 20” heavy barrel for my AR-15 and it is really front heavy too. I hate to add weight to the gun, but I’m considering adding some weight to the stock to balance it out.

Which FOXPRO is that?
Krakatoa 2. Didn't want to tote a tripod so came up with the exaggerated version of a campaign sign stand. It's probably just a little taller than needed but times with thick weeds, tall prairie grass, sagebrush it will send the sound out over instead of into. I like LOUD....some areas allow to see them a mile away.

Originally Posted By: reloader326That’s awesome, I always thought an AR in 22-250 would be great.
I bought a 20” heavy barrel for my AR-15 and it is really front heavy too. I hate to add weight to the gun, but I’m considering adding some weight to the stock to balance it out.
In the AR 15 platform its heavy, certain the AR10 is even more. The option of fluted barrel could have been considered, I'm still young enough to not complain!

Originally Posted By: Dirty HippieEven with the 20" barrel they still get around 3800 with the Superformance ammo. Mine is the 24 as well, but it is too darn long for carrying on stand with a suppressor. Someday I would like to try the 20" as that seems like a happy medium.

i have a 24" bull barrel 204 ruger, and its massively front heavy with the can on it. i've considered cutting it to 20" just to see if i can get it to balance better, FPS be damned
unsure.gif

Back from the West trip and added a few more. Very satisfied with the rifle. Enjoyed the opportunity to not have to work a bolt and get to keep pulling the trigger. Missed them on the run amongst the sagebrush.

But back to being pleased with the rifle....made the longest shot after walking in and having one bark at us. We continue in and over the hillside as planned. While setting out the call had 2 barking and watching us. They moved out and just after a couple of Howl's, I see one step out and sit down. A little more attempted calling and zero movement. Knowing that it's not going to come we get a range and I'm fortunate to be on the right side. Adjustment in the scope and she tipped right over without a twitch! 425 yards.

Last edited:
Back