Beginner Bulls

DesertRam

Director
Staff member
When I was young, my dad and granddad did their best to draw us youngsters into the outdoor lifestyle. We did a lot of fishing, as well as small game and waterfowl hunting, but big game opportunities didn't abound. Oh, we had some good hunts, and I even managed to kill a couple mule deer and a cow elk while in high school. I have wonderful memories of those times. When I got older (notice I didn't say "grew up"?) and had kids of my very own, I knew that I would do whatever I could to provide them with as many excellent hunting opportunities as possible. Two of the three have completed hunter safety, and all three have been along on various hunts, some posted here. I've tried to instill in them all a conservation ethic and a love all things wild. We talk about and revel in nature's bounty, enjoying one of the best renewable resources we have have - wildlife.

The older two kids were pretty lucky, since at the start of their hunting careers I was a member of a hunting lease in Texas. They had early opportunities to hunt and take Texas whitetails before that land sold and the lease was lost. Add to that some small game hunting here in NM, and they were hooked. In 2014, we started applying for big games hunts here too. They drew deer tags, but were unsuccessful. The following year, we tried for elk as well. They drew nothing. However, NM has "Encouragement Hunts," for which tags are available over the counter if you're fast enough. I was, and over Thanksgiving 2015, our family traveled to western NM for the kids' first elk hunt, reported here on PM. They did it again in 2016 when we were able to snag two more encourage tags. 2017 was the year of the oryx.

This spring, we again submitted applications for various hunts, including the youth elk hunt we have tried to draw for several years. This year was it. The two older kids drew tags for an "any elk" hunt in the Gila National Forest of western NM. The hunt was a couple weeks ago and we couldn't be happier with the results. Below are some pictures of the hunt, during which each filled a tag with what most folks call raghorns, but we lovingly refer to as "beginner bulls."

As an extra benefit, three of the kids' four grandparents were able to come along, making this a true family affair, with three generations afield.

Dad and grandparents were in the field two days before the hunt, trying to locate bulls in huntable places. Unlike years past, we saw very little sign and only one elk, despite searching all the likely places. Opening day and the first half of day 2 were busts, with only a cow and calf sighted. We did see some great scenery, a bunch of pronghorn, and a dandy muley buck.

Pronghorn antelope
Pronghorn-L.jpg

My daughter after a long but friutless stalk.
ReganAfterStalk-L.jpg

A rancher's retro camp.
WindmillAirstreamBW-L.jpg

By late morning on day 2, we knew we had to do something different, so we relocated to a different part of the hunt unit with which we are not very familiar. Even though it was nearing noon by the time we got back into the timber, we still hear a high pitched bugle several ridges over. So, off we went. We stalked in closer, cow calling as we went. Soon, a bull was headed our way, treating the kids to several loud bugles as he approached. Unfortunately, he swung wide into an easy approach lane, allowing him to get our wind. Opportunity squandered. On the way out, the kids learned a little about elk rubs from my dad.
KidsGrandpaRub-L.jpg

Ahh, now we know where the elk are. We scouted some and found much evidence of elk activity - rubs, tracks, trails, beds, and lots of fresh droppings. We knew right where to be that night. And so we were. Early afternoon we were back, and not too long after caught a herd out in a field grazing. We maneuvered close enough for a shot, but somehow my daughter cleanly missed a 200 yard shot at a fat, tasty looking spike. Bummer.
frown.gif
She is usually a pretty cool customer, but I guess she got a case of elk fever. Right after sunset though, a chance at redemption arose. We spotted a lone bull feeding in a wide grassy opening. Between him and us were just enough Ponderosa pines to let us get within range. At about 175 yards, we got set up. Both kids were on the sticks, but the girl was just a little faster on the trigger. This time she didn't miss, dropping this bull in his tracks. With the relatively easy terrain, the two distinguished gentlemen (aka grandpas) were able to join us for the trophy shot.
Regan7Oct2018Elk2-L.jpg

I recently commissioned a custom knife from Todd Thayn, a fellow I know from another hunting forum like this. He used the antler from my first bull elk, killed in 2001, to build me a knife I look forward to using for years to come. I couldn't help but do this.
Regan7Oct2018ElkKnife-L.jpg

We field dressed the bull, then tried out my new Gametote game cart. Quite a handful, even with three of us, but we used to good effect and got the whole bull loaded into the back of the truck. How often does that happen?
smile.gif

Regan7Oct2018ElkGametote-L.jpg

Then it was back to camp for dinner and skinning chores. It was pretty late by the time we got done, and we had to be up early to head back to our new-found honey hole for round two. This place is about and hour and a half drive from camp. We made it though, and very nearly got on the same herd as the previous night, this time with a big bull among them. We missed it by this much... No worries, with the sun barely up, we got back to truck and circled around to get above and downwind of the herd going to bed. Less than an hour later, we were in position and could hear bugling bulls in the timber. Given the rougher terrain, the grandpas decided to send the boy and me out while they drove around to pick us up down below. Plans made, off we went. This was good elk hunting. Cow call, hear a bugle, and try to get close. Climb a ridge, drop through a canyon. Repeat. Four times. It seemed like every bugle was always just a ridge away. Typical, right? At the top of ridge 4 (or was it 5?), we stopped to glass the next ridge a couple hundred yards away and catch our breath. Within minutes I spotted a spike, then a cow. The boy wasn't interested in either. He had a sister to compete with! He kept sneaking out a little further into the open and the bright sun, and though I thought he'd end up spooking any other elk off, he actually spotted another one that didn't know we were there. He asked for the bino, and upon glassing the elk determined it was a bull! He got very excited then, asking if it was big enough. I checked and told him it was about like his sister's. I asked if he wanted to try. He did, so he eased out into a little opening and got his rifle up on the Trigger Sticks. I told him to hold right on the shoulder and ease back on the trigger whenever he was ready. As I watched through the bino, this bull too collapsed where he stood.
Erik8Oct2018ElkFallen-L.jpg

Though I was confident in the shot, the bull seemed not fully committed to his own demise, so we opted for a finisher shot into the neck. I surely didn't want to have him sneak off while we crossed the canyon below out of sight. He didn't, and the boy was soon easing up to check his first bull elk.
Erik8Oct2018ElkCheck1-L.jpg

All smiles.
Erik8Oct2018Elk2-L.jpg

And quite content after all the work was done.
Erik8Oct2018ElkBagged-L.jpg

I strapped one hind quarter to my Exo Gear pack, the boy grabbed all the other gear, and we headed off the hill to meet the grandpas. They were pleased to see our bloody hands, and all too happy to drive us back around to the top so we could use the Gametote to recover the rest. This time, my father-in-law opted to come in with us for the recovery. On the way in, we found a cool oak and juniper and didn't resist the photo op they presented.
ErikPapaGary-L.jpg

We loaded the rest of meat and head onto the Gametote...
Erik8Oct2018ElkGametote2-L.jpg

...and headed down the mountain to the rendezvous point.
Erik8Oct2018ElkGametote-L.jpg

Back at camp, we put both elk on ice and then enjoyed a nice campfire and some cold drinks. Yes, that's fresh tenderloin on that roasting stick.
grin.gif

ErikGrandpasCamp-L.jpg

Now that they have "begun," both kids are ready for harder hunts for larger bulls. And to top it off, their younger sister, who will take hunter safety next spring, is completely fired up to join their ranks! I can't wait!

HOMAnimated-S.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: RemingtonmanNice write up and beautiful country. What caliber rifle and Bullet did you guys use?

I guess that would be good information for a bunch of rifle loonies like us, eh?
grin.gif

My daughter used her mom's Ruger M77 Hawkeye chambered in .338 Federal shooting factory loaded 185 grain soft points. The boy used his Marlin SX7 in .308 Winchester shooting factory loaded 150 grain TTSXs. Some day I'll carve out some time to work up a good handload for each rifle.

Way cool and congratulations.

No "beginner bulls" around here. Meaning, tags are so hard to draw that if you started putting in at their age, you might get lucky enough to draw 2 tags in your life. Maybe 3 if you are real lucky.

Great account of a memorable hunt, Troy. You need to compile all your family hunts into a book for the youngsters one day.

Regards,
hm

Back