Gerber Mark II

ive owned 2, one made in the early 80's that i stupidly sold for gun money. i have a currently manufactured model in my collection now. i love the style, features and tacticool factors of it, not to mention that im a geek about the Vietnam War and the knives they used.

Respectfully, while it is an excellent knife for self defence and combat, it's not a good knife for hunting, bushcraft, or survival. the blade point isnt conducive to skinning, the double edge isnt effective for batoning because it will cut the baton, the serrations are only good for cordage and notching wood, and the handle is aluminum so would vibrate uncomfortably/painfully if trying to chop down a tree or process wood, not to mention VERY cold in the winter to handle without gloves. also, its too light for chopping wood effectively.

my recommendation would be an Esee 4, 5, or 6. high carbon steel, holds an edge, easy to sharpen, lifetime warranty, cant go wrong.

Last edited:
However it’s a sexy piece of cold steel, no matter how impractical. Everyone needs 2 or 3 or at least that’s what I tell my wife

Originally Posted By: Bigdog2However it’s a sexy piece of cold steel, no matter how impractical. Everyone needs 2 or 3 or at least that’s what I tell my wife

absolutely no doubt about it! i love mine and fondle it often. its a truly awesome knife, for what its designed for. I would love to have a vintage 1960' - 70's wasp waisted one, but im just glad they reintroduced them so i could afford one to add to my collection.

Back