Sauer 100 .222 Rem

Great combo I shoot a Sako in 222 Rem and a Win Mosel 70 in 222 Rem. for predator calling. I looked at those when I was looking for another 222, looks like a nice rig. Howa minis come in 222 Rem also

Hi spotstalkshoot,

I found a new copy chambered for .222 Rem. I'm assuming it's 1:14 twist, which, I believe, is standard for the .222 Rem.

I thought I'd jump on the rifle because .222 Rem is not listed in its latest catalog.

Hi AWS,

Thanks so much.

I love Sako Rifles. I own 2, both AVs, one a .270 Win & the other a 7MM Rem Mag. Both will shoot one-hole groups @ a hundred with hunting ammo.

Sako Vixens, on the used market, require a second mortgage.

Why do manufacturers of excellent products think they're gonna improve upon perfection? I wish Sako had never ceased production of the Vixen.

I've been intrigued by the .222 Rem since I was a teenager. I can remember campfires stories of using that cartridge on deer. What I remember most are stories of phenomenal accuracy of the .222 Rem.

My next purchase will be a 100 pieces of Norma Brass.

I'm gonna bust out my most used hand loading resource: "Pet Loads" by Ken Waters and find the most accurate .222 Rem load.

I could you some .222 Rem load help if you have it.

BTW, I've read somewhere that Vihtavuori N130 or N133 is excellent .222 Rem powder. Is that 'net legend, or is there truth to it?

I'd take a chance on that 222.....I love that round.

As far as loads go.....I run Benchmark behind 52gr SMK's in my home grown 700 222.

Lapua brass comes in 222 Rem also. I use Benchmark and 748 in mine. 4198 has been the tried and true 222 Rem powder for a long time but in all the years I've been shooting one I've never gotten around to trying it.

Originally Posted By: AWSLapua brass comes in 222 Rem also.

Yes it does.....that's all I use in my 222....the stuff lasts for ever.

OP.....hurry up and buy that thing....I'm interested in hearing how that adjustable trigger works as well an accuracy report.

Get with it....
smile.gif

Hi RePete,

I done bought it! They're plumb sold out of 'em now. Batter yet, I gotta great deal on her. She'e en route to my FFL now. I know she's got sisters, but they're hard to find. Must be a right popular gun & cartridge!

There's a darn good chance that I'll be buying LAPUA brass tomorrow.

What dies do you use? I'm thinking neck size dies.

I have an old set of Bonanza Competition dies, a set of Herter's and a set of Lee's. I use the Bonanza sizing die and a Hornady seater. They've all loaded good ammo for me. I think I would like to add a bushing FL sizing die. I like to partially FL size my hunting ammo.

Good Morning, AWS,

Thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Your sport is a new world to me. I'm learning a lot of new stuff.

People who've never hunted think it's easy. They have no clue of scientific wildlife management. They have no clue of strenuous physical demands of scaling 10,000' ridges of the Rockies which carrying a rifle and day pack. They have no clue that the hard work commences when we've killed big game. They have no clue of how expensive it is. Well, I'm learning new stuff about the intricacies of predator & varmint hunting. I'd getting a hard knocks education on how expensive it is.

Technically it is only as expensive as you make it, A $200. 223 Rem and a $10 handcall or$100 e-call will kill a lot of predators.

I started with a borrowed rifle and a Herter varmint call in the early 1960's, after 55year it has gotten a little more expensive. I've bought, sold and traded over the years for the guns I have and a few of the e-calls I've won or bought used, there are ways to cut corners, I live in my hunting truck, rarely eat in restraunts, never go to a tavern. Other than gas it doesn't cost anymore to go hunting than to stay at home.

Good man EMP.......that rifle will only increase in Value and I'm lusting for it so it's already increased in desirability.
smile.gif

European gun manufacturers make a lot of 222's because they're popular in Australia, Canada, and Europe but very few make it to the states.
Be sure and report back on that trigger....I'd appreciate hearing your input.

As far as dies go....I use Forester Dies for every caliber I own that they make dies for....My second choice is Redding.
For my 222 I have a set Of Forester FL dies for seating (their seating dies are unequaled IMO) and the occasional Fl sizing but they don't make a 222 neck die so I also have a Redding Bushing Neck Die for day to day sizing.

Originally Posted By: AWSI have an old set of Bonanza Competition dies, a set of Herter's and a set of Lee's. I use the Bonanza sizing die and a Hornady seater. They've all loaded good ammo for me. I think I would like to add a bushing FL sizing die. I like to partially FL size my hunting ammo.

Do they make an FL Bushing Die? I've only seen Bushing Neck Dies.

I'm not saying they don't....just asking.

Originally Posted By: RePeteOriginally Posted By: AWSI have an old set of Bonanza Competition dies, a set of Herter's and a set of Lee's. I use the Bonanza sizing die and a Hornady seater. They've all loaded good ammo for me. I think I would like to add a bushing FL sizing die. I like to partially FL size my hunting ammo.

Do they make an FL Bushing Die? I've only seen Bushing Neck Dies.

I'm not saying they don't....just asking.

Redding makes a FL type S bushing die for the 222. I bought one for a 20-222 build I have in the works.

Good Morning, RePete,

Thanks.

I did buy 300 rounds of Norma brass this morning.

I'm going to check out Foster dies.

I've read loading entries about the .222 Rem in Ken Waters's Pet Loads.

My rifle has a twist of 1:12. Would the tighter twist rate than what appears to be the standard .222 Rem twist of 1:14 indicate that I should use bullets in the 50-60 grain range?

Thanks.

Usually even 40's will work well in a 1-9 so you should be good to go with anything from 40 to 64gr. I even get 33's to work well in a 1-9 but keep the velocities down in the 22 Hornet range.

EMP......I load 55 SGK's for Predators and 40 V Max for Gofers in my 12 twist 700 as well as the two 14 twist rifles I've owned (Sako and Tika) ....I've never seen a need for anything heavier than 55's in the Deuce.
The 52 SMK's are a tich more accurate than the 55's but not enough to matter for Predator hunting.

You're headed in the right direction with those Forster dies....especially the seater which are well known for loading extremely straight ammo.

My standard die choices for every rifle I load for are a set of Forster FL dies and a Redding Bushing Neck Die.
The bushing die allows you to adjust neck tension and are very easy on brass.
The only exception is my 17FB....Forster doesn't make 17FB dies....I have a Redding 3 die set for that rifle.

My method is to FL size and anneal every fifth reload. You can easily get 15+ reloads out of a box of Lapua brass which helps justify the cost of Lapua brass.

222's are generally so accurate it's hard to screw up and your off to a good start so just choose quality components and have fun.

Last edited:
Back