Shot placement

DiRTY DOG

A coyote responds at a brisk jog and stops for a look at 100 yards. You have 5 seconds to shoot with your scoped rifle. Where do you aim and why?

45394849691_6e375a8cee.jpg

3 or 5. I've seen them run a little ways hitting the #5 spot only to fall over dead within 35 yards or less. Normally they drop on the spot with a hit to the #3 spot. Although I do like a neck shot the others are a higher percentage shot. Especially the head shot. I don't like getting too far back behind the shoulder personally. I'd rather shoot through it and take out the wheels.

Last edited:
4 or 5 as 3 a blown up shoulder is a [beeep] to skin as is a head shot. 1 and 2 are too small of a target and 6 is a runner unless you have a lot of gun.

3 because your going to atleast get 1 wheel maybe 2 knocked out from under him and it gives you a little left and right wiggle room if you pull the shot one way or the other

2 or 3 2 will give a very large shock to the central nervous system for immediate paralysis 3 gets you heart and lungs

3 is bullet splash central for the bullets i shoot. 5 is the perfect shot for me, lets the little Vmax get in without trouble and turns the whole chest cavity to goo. now and then a heart shot will have them run 30 yards or so before piling up like they were hit with a brick.

I would go with #5 with a rifle because if I am off a few inches in any direction it should still be a dead coyote.

If it was at 40 yards with my shotgun I would shoot at #2 and may hit all of the numbers with my IMP/MOD choke.

4 or 5. But I guarantee you my partner would take 2 or 3 and he kills them just fine. I usually use a .17, he uses a .243.

- DAA

My little 17 likes that 3 ring it seems to get more DRT when hitting the shoulder blade they tend to run aways if you get much farther back with small calibers if he stops and gives me 5 seconds it will go to the 1 hole bug eyed coyotes are fun to skin

At that range 4. I zero my rifles for a max rise of 2.8" at mid range and hold a bit low like that unless I'm sure the coyote is past 200 yards, then I hold 5.

With the 204 and a 40gr V max at 3900 I'll deliberately slip the bullet back maybe a bit further even. I really try to avoid bone with that bullet and it's destructive enough on soft tissue it will still dump them.

Back