Actions

pyscodog

What's a good custom action for someone on a budget? I have a couple of semi-custom rifles built on Remington actions but always thinking one day of using a nice custom action for a build. Just rainy day dreaming but thats how they all start isn't it!

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWhat's a good custom action for someone on a budget? I have a couple of semi-custom rifles built on Remington actions but always thinking one day of using a nice custom action for a build. Just rainy day dreaming but thats how they all start isn't it!

Bighorn.

I'm not sure about now, but Stiller actions used to be one of the least expensive custom actions available.

I have a couple full customs, BAT and a Kelbly, my dad has a couple Stillers. They're all very nice and I have no complaints, but I also have many semi customs built on blueprinted Rem 700's, and I have no complaints with those either.

The very best shooting rifle I own is a semi custom built on a blueprinted Rem 700.

Defiance has a new one out called the Tenacity. $885 looks nice, come with a rail and spiral fluted bolt. Bighorn got a budget one out too, may be called Origin. There’s one other new budget minded one out, maybe it’s made by Kelby?
Edit: the other new one was the American Rifle Company Nucleus action.

Last edited:
My 7/08 is a semi custom. It is the smoothest Remington action I have ever felt. I've thought about making a donor out of it. It has a custom barrel but have no idea who's and it shoots really good. Kinda hate to tear it up just to build another.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogMy 7/08 is a semi custom. It is the smoothest Remington action I have ever felt. I've thought about making a donor out of it. It has a custom barrel but have no idea who's and it shoots really good. Kinda hate to tear it up just to build another.
I’m hearing the newer CNC built 700’s are pretty nice, if you draw one with the bolt handle welded in the right spot.

Budget friendly actions are out there. Bighorn origin, Stiller actions, ARC nucleus, defiance Stryker ridge ( short action 308 bolt face only). They all have limiting factors but add the cost of a donor action, “blue printing” and other custom work and the price is very comparable. Pick the one you like and make a rainy day dream come true.

Bighorn Origin, ARC Nucleus, and Defiance Tenacity are good options in the $850 ballpark. If you are ok running relatively poor customer service, blueprinted PT&G Rem 700’s are in that price range as well.

Personally, I’d save up a bit longer and spend the difference on the top line models. Impact, Defiance, Surgeon, Stiller. Impact & Seekins Havak both offer machining consistency such you can change barrels on your own - NOT A BARREL NUT SYSTEM. I’ve long been a Surgeon fan, but got a couple good deals on Deviant’s this year. My next will be a GAP Tempest.

Other than just wanting a build to have a custom action, and there's nothing wrong with that, what is it you think a custom action build will offer over a semi custom build?

Originally Posted By: B23Other than just wanting a build to have a custom action, and there's nothing wrong with that, what is it you think a custom action build will offer over a semi custom build?

Probably nothing. I guess its like driving a Vega or a Vette. They both get you where your going. You just look better in the Vette. LOL In all honesty, that thought cross's my mind a lot when I start running the tab on a full custom rifle. We have a guy that comes to the club with some really High End stuff.No expense spared. All the whistles and bells!!My bone stock Remington VLS shoots just as good. Makes me wonder why I need better, but his equipment sure is nice.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWhat about the TI actions?

That's the link I posted. The couple of things I like about the TL actions is.

1 they seem to be pretty true in the machine work part. 2 I like the bolt stop on them much better than the stock Remington. 3 I like the extractor and the ejector much better than Remington's.
4 the bolt handles already threaded so screw on whatever knob you want.

If you are wanting a custom, save your money a tad longer and get a Borden.

Not all "custom" actions are machined true, meaning that they will need to be trued...shocked?

Looks and price can be deceiving. Buying what is popular...well......an education costs money.

If you are wanting a chrome moly action for a blued finish, Big Horn are darn good for that application.

Last edited:
Back