Fixed or Variable Scope for hunting

T-Hop

What do you all prefer when hunting with an AR. A fixed 3x scope or variable 3x-9x? I get the 9x could zoom in to give you more distance but what benefits does a 3x fixed scope offer that you can't have with a 3-9 just left on 3?

I like variable scopes, I would much rather have a 3 X 9 than just a 3 power scope. I like the higher powers for sighting the rifle in and for zooming in on longer shots when you have time to do so.

When I had a 223 AR-15 I had a 2 X 7 variable on it and it worked great.

I have 4 X 12 variables on my coyote rifles and deer hunting rifle.

I don't think that it matters as much as practice with whatever optic/power you choose.

Personally, I like variable scopes. Most often I am taking shots on the lowest setting because I don't have the time to adjust the power. But it is better to have and not need it, and having the ability to zoom in when needed is nice.

I run a 4-12 on my .308 AR-10 and have thumped coyotes as close as 20 yards out to over 400 with the same scope. But that is because I practice a LOT with that gun and scope and I know where it hits at a lot of different ranges.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoI don't think that it matters as much as practice with whatever optic/power you choose.

Personally, I like variable scopes. Most often I am taking shots on the lowest setting because I don't have the time to adjust the power. But it is better to have and not need it, and having the ability to zoom in when needed is nice.

I run a 4-12 on my .308 AR-10 and have thumped coyotes as close as 20 yards out to over 400 with the same scope. But that is because I practice a LOT with that gun and scope and I know where it hits at a lot of different ranges.

EXACTLY!

I prefer a variable scope BUT much prefer to have 1x or 1.5x on the bottom end I highly favor more FOV on the bottom end 60' to 100' works well for me. Top end X's are less important as long for me (around 300 yards) are very doable with 4x or 6x. I really like 1.5x6x40mm scopes with heavy duplex or German #4 on bolt guns. All my combo guns wear 1-4x20mm scopes as I can mount them very low. I did use both a 1-3x20mm an a 1-4x24mm on two bolt guns at the PM Convention this year for the heck of it, one is getting replaced with a 2-7x32mm Leupold compact and the other is getting sold, nice rifle but a little heavy for me.

I can live with a 2-10/2.5-10 as they are still in the 40' FOV range on the bottom end.

I tried a 3x9 and found it too restrictive for my taste but it was a very good one and I gave it to an old hunting partner and he does well with it on his 243.

These are on predator calling rifles, varmints and paper are a whole different story.

My AR has a 1.5-6x40mm with Ill. Dot for predator hunting and a 4.5-18x44mm w/varmint dot for range and varmints it's in 20 Pract.

Last edited:
I like magnification with a low end of 3 or 4.
A high end of 15-18 is nice especially when sighting in.
Thickness of crosshair affects my power choice too. Thicker one is easier to see in low light and thin ones are my choice on 6-8 power.

I would consider a fixed power if I needed a very small or light scope for a small light rifle.

For my hunting rifles I have "settled" on Cabela's branded Meopta 4.5-14x. I feel these are nearly perfect for this open terrain and the glass is great.

i see no point in a fixed power scope these days when there are sooooo many decent (or better than decent!) quality variable power optics available for your selection. If it werent for that... i'd say ya... go with fixed.

i could see going that route if you were doing a classic/period rifle build from the days when fixed power was the norm, but otherwise why limit yourself.

like the others mentioned.... you can always shoot a 4-12x40mm on 4x, but you can never shoot a 4x40mm only optic at 12x when doing sight in or precision paper shooting.

All I used for the first, oh, let me think, 15 years of coyote hunting was a fixed 4x. Then about 5 more years with a fixed 6x. Been using variables since, and wouldn't choose to go back, but wouldn't feel handicapped by it if I had to for some reason. My partner still uses a fixed 6.

Until this year, the variables on my calling rigs have all been 4.5-14's and they have rarely left 5x in the field. Might not be exaggerating to say whole seasons have gone by without changing the magnification on those scopes.

Have just recently been using a 2-10, and leave it on 2x almost all the time and love it. Out of 15 coyotes I killed using that scope last weekend, I only cranked it up off 2x on three of them. For kamikazes and fly by's that wide FOV is fantastic. Time was, I had no problem doing the same kind of shooting with a fixed 6x, but that was then, this is now and the 2x is a huge asset for me now.

- DAA

I have a variable vortex (high end of the vortex line) on my 243 and like it fine.

I've had both on my ARs but have settled in on the Burris 536 (fixed 5) for daytime hunting. I really like them and have three of them. They have a great Fov and have a bullet drop compensator reticle that is right on for shooting distances. I've shot them a lot on prairie dogs and can hit them about 95% out to 300 yards. They are simple, inexpensive and really tough. If you shoot them enough you can look through the scope and pretty well Know the range of a coyote.

It's kinda busy inside but personally they work well for me on my ARs

Just bought a Virtex crossfire II 1-4x26. I was debating between it and the Leupold, but this Vortex provided some more eye relief so I went with it. It has the V-Brite reticle which I did not notice until I got home. I knew it illuminated I just figured it was the entire crosshairs. This thing is sweet. Also bought a good mount instead of $10 weaver lol.

Hopefully Vortex works out great!

I like a variable. Something with 30ft or more FOV on the lowest power and at least 10x on the top end. 14-18 is better. I also like a pretty thin reticle. The high power is nice when I make a set in open country laying over a pond dam or something and can shoot prone.

Originally Posted By: DAA Out of 15 coyotes I killed using that scope last weekend, - DAA

Good Lord Dave, up here in the big woods that would be a good years worth for me!

Originally Posted By: jcs271Originally Posted By: DAA Out of 15 coyotes I killed using that scope last weekend, - DAA

Good Lord Dave, up here in the big woods that would be a good years worth for me!

Calling has actually been kind of tough this past few weeks. Hot, dry and windy, without seeing much sign, for the most part. The long drought has really put a hurting on everything. I think it's going to be low numbers for at least a few years going forward, just not seeing near the usual YoY of either prey or predator that I normally see in the fall. Think the young animals fared really poorly this summer.

Haven't been skunked yet, but have had mostly just 2 or 3 coyote days so far this fall. Way below average.

I applied a little strategic thought in selecting a location (where would I go to get a snack and a drink of water) and got lucky that it worked, and got into a nice thick pocket last weekend though. Had 7 killed before noon, by myself.

20181013_Coyote%20Hunt-1.jpg

There is a picture of the 2-10 I have been using lately, just to keep this on topic
laugh.gif
. I really am liking that 2x firedot a whole heckuva lot out in the brush though. Would like to put another one of those scopes on my .17 Predator, although, it is just a bit chunky for such a trim, sleek bolt rifle as that. It's not too long though, and really not that much heavier than the old VXiii 4.5-14x40's I have mostly been using. Just bulkier with that 30mm tube and 50mm objective, neither of which do I like on a bolt gun, but it's not a big deal on the machine gun. Have found that 2x is just fine out to at least 125 yards, have shot a bunch at that distance the last month or so, where I had time to crank the scope and just haven't bothered because there is no need. For myself, I'll never have any need for more than 10x on a coyote stand. More is certainly nicer for load work and zeroing, but that's just a one time deal in the life of a rifle, for me, for the most part.

- DAA

At least 3x9 but favorite is 4.5-14 Burris on conventional rifles. My old eyes really liking the E1 reticle which is a bit bolder than the older ballistic plex.

Usually hunt the 3x9's on 4 or so & seldom increase power on the latter from 4.5 in the field.

Currently shaking down a Primary Arms 3x fixed on my Garand as it is only (non scout) scope I can find that can be mounted on that rifle.

28912732237_d8b58a258a_z.jpg

The reticle is a bit busy for an old man, but very hopeful I can use it to take a coyote with that rifle.

42813706145_a805a668da_z.jpg

Have only managed to get one (dry) stand in with it so far this year so the jury is still out.

Regards,
hm

Back