SAS Claymore, anybody running one?

Merdit

What do you think of your Claymore? The metered testing looked impressive, but what does first hand experience say?

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Will let you know tomorrow. Just getting g the brakes up and running. I got the Tomb version.

Well??????????

Whoops! I had some trouble with my muzzle threads. Turns out they weren't totally square and my bullets were just barely kissing the end cap. Sent it back to Tim, he ran it on two of his rifles without any problems. Once we determined that it was my threads, he gave it a clean bill of health and it's on its way back home this week. Getting threads checked from another smith who trust implicitly. He will get me straightened out and shooting again.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Whoops! I had some trouble with my muzzle threads. Turns out they weren't totally square and my bullets were just barely kissing the end cap. Sent it back to Tim, he ran it on two of his rifles without any problems. Once we determined that it was my threads, he gave it a clean bill of health and it's on its way back home this week. Getting threads checked from another smith who trust implicitly. He will get me straightened out and shooting again.

Sounds like a chop and re-thread is in order. Looking forward to the update.

UPDATE:
I spoke at length with Tim at SAS, and he just had me send my two barreled actions to him, so we both know that they are done right. Hopefully, he can just square up the shoulders and not fully chop/rethread.

Will update when I get "the kids" back from Tim.

In order for the job to be done right the threads will have to be cut off and rethreaded. The threads are on one centerline and the shoulder is perpendicular to that centerline if the original threading was done in a lathe. To try to recut just the shoulder only would be a halfazzed way of doing it and would be asking for trouble.

The initial threads were indexed off the bore, but his stop was dirty and allowed some over travel. [beeep], who knows what's right with those threads. I know Tim will get them in ship shape.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75The initial threads were indexed off the bore, but his stop was dirty and allowed some over travel. [beeep], who knows what's right with those threads. I know Tim will get them in ship shape.

So was the barrel factory threaded or by a gunsmith? If it was the latter they need to be told to either stop doing threading until they use the proper equipment or learn to do it correctly AND they owe you your money back at the very least. If these were factory threaded you need to tell us what make/model it is so prospective owners can verify before purchase!

Threaded by a smith. He was informed of the concern and he refunded my money on the spot. Fast forward to today. Took the 223ai out with the Claymore and tested some loads. Long story short, 223ai is pushing the 80.5gn Bergers at 2888 and with the Claymore, no ear-pro is required. I am picky about ear protection bUT it wasn't necessary with the Claymore. Rifle shot bugholes.

Next I will test it out on the 22cm.

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry75Threaded by a smith. He was informed of the concern and he refunded my money on the spot. Fast forward to today. Took the 223ai out with the Claymore and tested some loads. Long story short, 223ai is pushing the 80.5gn Bergers at 2888 and with the Claymore, no ear-pro is required. I am picky about ear protection bUT it wasn't necessary with the Claymore. Rifle shot bugholes.

Next I will test it out on the 22cm.

Glad the smith refunded your money and you finally got things sorted out. The extra volume of the Claymore is clearly paying dividends!

22creedmoor shoots perfect now as well. Report is not uncomfortable to the ears at all. Perfect repeatability even with removing and reinstalling between shots. My son used the Claymore on my 223ai to harvest his first deer this past weekend while Dad and "Popop" were in the blind with him. Pretty special to have 3 generations of hunters share such an experience. Big fat doe didn't stand a chance from the 7yr old's crack shot. I am a Happy Pappy.

Last edited:
Back